A question for FXCC contractors and drivers

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My thoughts was the same on Nascar. They could have the FedEx Custom Critical Pit Crew. We are so fast the we even get Denny Hamlens car back on the Track in less than 15 seconds. Just something to get the word out about FedEx Custom Critical.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
14 years as an O/O in Expediting.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We as drivers are the number one sales force for FedEx Custom Critical. Can you only imagine what a shipper must think after paying a premium for our service and a dirty broke down truck and a dirty driver show up that is dressed in shorts flip flops are just plain dirty unkempt clothing? As a shipper I would be very disappointed. When a clean well kept truck shows up, a clean uniformed driver or one in nice clothes steps out, and paperwork all in order to pick up the load what does the shipper think at this point? I am getting what I paid for and my freight is safe. Every time we meet with a customer we are making an impression and when we have FedEx Custom Critical on the sides of our trucks we are also making a statement. Every shipper with a package needs to be treated the same. That package becomes our responsibility and we will deliver it safe and sound. It is all part of the Purple Promise we need to live up to. Take pride in our jobs and our life style.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I read all of this and then saw this;
“when we become a billion dollar gross division. But, up until recently, it was just plain never†and the summary “When you get big enough, we'll advertise you!â€

I thought this is what the problem is and coming from anyone that represents the company, it tells me that they don’t care. That was not tactful or professional on the FedEx’s part. The comment tells me a lot that they are not looking to the future for expansion. Maybe the better answer would have been ‘It is a consideration for the future, thanks for the question’.

Not bashing FedEx at all, but wanting to see them get their sales staff moving for us and into a lot of businesses or at least consider starting a program that allows us, the owners, to become some sort of a sales staff with some training and free promotional material to pass around to everyone. As much as I agree with Big Redd and the Donut Diplomacy, it can’t happen with many owners because we don’t know what they offer, how the entire system works, how they really want to present to customers the services or more importantly know what happens when that customer calls FedEx to use that service you may have talked about. Not many of us can take the time to go to Green and spend a lot of time asking questions or learning how it all works. Remember you can give the customer a positive experience, magnets, pens and hats but it really counts when they call and get an encouraging and pleasant experience by the person who answers that phone with a sales circle completed by the customer using the services.

There is a big customer service theory that has been used for a long time in many markets but it only works with a complete cooperation between the customer, the company and the contractor.

When I speak of owners, I mean not the fleet owners or WG people or special people only, but anyone who wants to participate. This has been done in other industries and successful, remember FedEx already has the brand it is not leverage right.

I complain because I see this huge gap between the sales force and the customer. This can be closed if they want to close it for this group but I really don’t see it happening. Speaking to a few of the customers on a personal level they voice their opinion openly to me about the problems they have and how they want to use FedEx over others but never get any response from them. They asked to pass it on so when I pass this on no one ever responses to any suggestions I have made.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
YOU GOT IT!!!!!! I am so happy to see that some one else besides,and the few people who tolerate me,gets it...Now pass it on....thanks for making my day...

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
We do the the same thing Phil. We always take the time to talk to the customer and/or shipper and thank them for using FedEx services. We find a good attitude,a friendly smile, and a thank you goes a long way. Looking and acting like the professionals we are, are a few of the best tools to secure return business, which helps maintain our bottom line.

spudhead911

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
>You know I read all of this and then saw this;
>“when we become a billion dollar gross division. But, up
>until recently, it was just plain never†and the summary
>“When you get big enough, we'll advertise you!â€
>
>I thought this is what the problem is and coming from anyone
>that represents the company, it tells me that they don’t
>care. That was not tactful or professional on the FedEx’s
>part. The comment tells me a lot that they are not looking
>to the future for expansion. Maybe the better answer would
>have been ‘It is a consideration for the future, thanks
>for the question’.

Greg,
maybe my bad here, the "when you get big enough..." was my unspoken comment, not the FedEx rep's. The jist of the comment from the rep was that, at first there was no chance of FECC being on the car at all. At least now there is at least a slim chance. Regardless it seems like flawed logic.

>not many of us can take the time to go to Green and spend a lot
>of time asking questions or learning how it all works.

Actually we were being paid fairly well for the use of ourselves, our truck and our dog in photos and video for future corporate lit.

I do however agree that the company can do a better job of leveraging the brand. But I do believe they are trying to find the proper balance. Maybe its a pollyanna view, but since we are commisioned reps, the more we make, the more the company makes. Thus,I have to believe they want us to do well, and will continue to do so. The cynical side of me doesn't trust big corporation or big government to do the right thing for the little guy, just the bottom line. Another example of the duality of man, huh?

M

Mcarriers

We also always leave the shipper with a thanks for the business and a handshake, also the consignee. We met Andrew Wyeth at one of our pickups, he said that he had never heard of FDCC so we made sure he understood who we are and what we do. He was very impressed with the type of services we provide, we made sure we left a business card with him. A clean well kept truck (inside and out) and a positive attitude go a long way in aquiring and maintaining new business. We're always selling FDCC everywhere we go!!!

Mello

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Calvin and Donna

I understood what you said, I just abbreviated what I was thinking by saying “summaryâ€.
The thing is the rep should not say it, I worked at the largest Pharma company and there are some things you just don’t say unless you want people to pick up the flag you threw down, and that was one thing I picked up. It is flawed logic and for the people who are the sales men of the company, it seems ok to say – I just don’t agree and been around this stuff for a long time to easily see gaps that can be easily filled but without the care of the parent company, they won’t get filled and there is lost opportunity - something like I said and seemed to be right about UPS.

I am glad you were paid to take part of the photo shoot. I haven’t been asked and don’t expect to be asked because I don’t have a nice truck. And don’t get me wrong, I want the best to represent FedEx, I hope Phil also took part in that photo shoot and the guy I ran across this past spring. The point is that hey can do something to help up better represent the company. I think a sort of sales program that really allows us to present more than the just a brochure or magnet – I know how frustrated customers can get.

But I am wondering about your comment, “since we are commisioned reps, the more we make, the more the company makes.†which I think I understand what you mean. I thin you are talking about the bigger picture, where you benefit in the long run The problem is I don’t see that when I make a point to go to a friends business and resell the services they dropped, I know several of you have hauled freight from a couple of them but I never have. They tried FedEx with positive results but when my name was mentioned, it went no where. Yes the company benefits, the driver benefits and in the long run I do but the incentive is not always there and truly if I get a real commission from any sales I create, I would be buying a new truck next week and a new house sometime next year (I don’t really want to move).

I want the company to prosper, I want to see an increase in market share and I want everyone to make money but we can not forget that this is a company that does not really make decisions based on ideas like mine, but may make decisions based on a committee recommendation or consultants suggestion.