A Mixed first couple of days with BIG QUESTION

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
RE: CONFUSED!!

Sounds to me like you should invest some funds in you avocation, or, you'll probably be wearing your freight. one day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Thanks for the advice. It was very helpful.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Turtle, sorry, got no photos, but this is how I secured those '3 drums on a pallet' loads: 2 long ratchet straps, each wrapped aroun the drums, and secured on opposite sides of the pallet - meaning, in front of the skid with the first, behind with the second. The countertension keeps the drums immobile, and a 2x6 board, between two sockets in the etrack, keeps the skid from moving, too.
I haven't had a bunch of those loads, but a few were long distance, and they always remained upright throughout.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

I'm extremely pleased the info was helpful. Cheri, the fella,(I read) has no equipment. E-trac/straps/2X6/nada. Let him wear it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Thanks. That's how I secure them, too. One and two drums isn't a problem, and usually 4 isn't that big a deal, either. It's that odd third drum that is a PITA. I was just wondering if there was a better way to secure them. Fortunately, though, in his customary stellar fashion, Larry came to the rescue with some top notch Cracker Jacks tips that should be of great help.
http://members.fortunecity.com/dbard/skip1.gif
Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

E-Track on floor

E-track ratchet straps:
Two yellow
Two gray
Two blue

Load bars:
Two 2x4 (one with E-track attached)
One 2x6 (with E-Track attached)
Three pairs of wood beam sockets

One ratchet jack bar (modified to fit the Sprinter)
Blankets

Never had a load move on me, including drums. Never had a damage claim, never even close. I've been doing this several years, and most of what I know I've figure out on my own. And if there's one thing I know for certain, it's that I'm not above asking for those with more experience for help and advice, be it about barrels or anything else.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

There ya go turtle. You've convinced some that they should get rid of (some) of their toys, and creature comforts, to get about the business of safely moving freight in a cargo van. IF they have paid attention to your list of "tools" (which I doubt) they will be better off. Thanks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Apparently, the Colonel misread, thinking Turtle was referring to himself as 'one of those guys with nothing but bungee cords'. If the Colonel were to check out the posts and photos Turtle has put on the Truck forum, he'd know that Turtle's Sprinter is the envy of many - with complete insulation, and floor to ceiling shelving, it's well thought out, and the workmanship is impeccable. Any O/O who puts that kind of sweat into his vehicle, doesn't stint on the tools of his trade, either. Good job, Turtle!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Yes, the "for that matter, me" kinda threw me, I guess. Makes no difference. Possibly, turtle got to some of em.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter

Turtle,

I have a row of e-track on each side as well as on the floor.

I go over the barrels to the floor with straps and then around the barrels from side to side with another additional straps.

Finally, I consider the contents behind me throughout the entire route.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I need to invent some barrel ratchets or something. A ring that fits around the top of the barrel, but won't slide down, and then it would have 3 or 4 straps coming off with e-track fittings on the ends. :)

One, two, and four barrels, I have no problems with. It's three on a single skid that drive me crazy. I get 'em plenty secure, I just keep thinking there must be a better way.

I secure everything with the thought, "What happens to the load if I dynamite my brakes at 65 miles an hour?" And that's something I've had to do more than once to avoid a deer or some other problem, and I've had to stop short a few times in defensive driving. I'm not too keen on having a barrel being the last thing that goes through my mind in an accident.

But above all, it will simply be too embarrassing to have a damage claim filed on me because I failed to do what I'm being paid to do. I mean, when it comes right down to it, this is a really easy job. There's not much to it. You pick up the load, secure the load, drive the load to the consignee without hitting someone or getting a traffic citation, and unsecure the load and give them their undamaged freight. Too screw that up is just plain embarrassing.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Turtle, very, very well placed on their plate.