A message to brokers and carriers.

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
Brokers and carriers, You are cutting your own throats in the long term. It's kind of like fishing until all the fish are gone. Paying these low rates to drivers is going to put you out of business and or lessen your profits down the line. Drivers cannot last at these rates. What are you going to do then? Go work at Chili's as a server? I saw it happen in the mortgage industry. Short term gain for you, then long term pain. Paying drivers like this is going to put the owner operator out of business and the quality of driver you are going to get for the poor pay when driving a "company van" is going to damage your credibility. And then, how are you going to be in business? How disgusting that so many brokers and carriers hold no regard for the quality of life of the person out here moving freight on call 24/7, staying out for weeks or months at a time. Dispatchers go home everyday, shower, eat typically better, then come in and rape and pillage drivers for a few extra shekel's, so they can upgrade the suv they are driving or maybe, get that new boat, all by simply lying to and short- changing drivers. I hope it is worth it. Give it a couple years. When you lose those jet skis and home with the second mortgage on it that you used to buy a Denali off the backs of "contractors", I will be laughing, because you will, as sure as the laws of physics. Brokers and carriers, you are ruining this business the same way that mortgage broker's did real estate. I am going to be contacting nationally syndicated primetime news outlets, and I am not afraid to name names.

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
It is said that sarcasm is used by people whom lack wit, and they confuse sarcasm with wit, meaning a lower IQ. I don't appreciate your ignorant response. Go back to sleep.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is said that sarcasm is used by people whom lack wit, and they confuse sarcasm with wit, meaning a lower IQ.
Horse hockey. Sarcasm is a form of wit. If you lack wit, it is virtually impossible to even engage in sarcasm, because without wit you cannot recognize irony, which is the basis for most sarcasm.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

You can't be an idiot and get the irony in that sarcastic witticism.

In any case, you posted a long-winded rant in a single paragraph, at which most carriers and brokers would have passed right by at the sight, and almost certainly would have stopped reading when you incorrectly capitalized the fourth word. But even if they got past the third sentence and read the entire thing, it won't matter. Brokers and carriers don't set the rates, the laws of supply and demand set the rate. Right now there's too much supply (trucks) relative to the demand (shipments). As soon as the supply weakens (when drivers exit the business) the demand, and thus the rates, will rise.

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
Personally , I wouldn't be in the game if I couldn't afford a Denali and Jet Skis. I see far too many contractors complaining that it's hand to mouth and they're living on Mac n cheese cups and free soda refills . I'd rather haul rock for 20 bucks an hour and sleep in my own bed than be that miserable

Reactions: jujubeans

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trucks drooping out is exactly what we need. If today's rates cause that to happen I'll be dancing in the street and actually thanking brokers.

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, you sure have a high opinion of your opinion. Sorry I "capitalized" incorrectly. I do not think anyone would have stopped reading because of capitalizing the wrong word. Get a life. Or, you can go through these forums highlighting every grammatical error, which should keep you very busy while you are sitting. Look up "narcissism" in your spare time. And sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, which means you do not have much to work with.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Brokers and carriers don't set the rates, the laws of supply and demand set the rate.
Sure they do. My carrier sets my rate. The carrier or broker with the last piece of the pie in their grubby hands sets the rate for the desperate drivers to fight over.

Right now there's too much supply (trucks) relative to the demand (shipments). As soon as the supply weakens (when drivers exit the business) the demand, and thus the rates, will rise.
True but the brokers and carriers will still be setting the rates. If enough drivers refuse the rates, the brokers and carriers will make a slight adjustment.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, you sure have a high opinion of your opinion. Sorry I "capitalized" incorrectly. I do not think anyone would have stopped reading because of capitalizing the wrong word.
Don't make a post espousing your own intelligence on the heels of a post where you mucked it up with idiot grammar. I'm just sayin.'
Get a life.
If I do, would you be able to come up with a better, perhaps more witty insult? In any case, I'm genuinely interested in improving myself, and you see me as flawed, and you clearly know me well enough to give me unsolicited personal advice, so can you explain, in detail, how I'm flawed, and do you have any ideas on what I could do to improve?
Or, you can go through these forums highlighting every grammatical error, which should keep you very busy while you are sitting.
Just correcting the spelling and grammar in my own posts keeps me pretty busy.
Look up "narcissism" in your spare time.
I can't pull myself away from the mirror to waste my time on such nonsense.
And sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, which means you do not have much to work with.
Well, you've just learned from a narcissistic moron that sarcasm is a form of wit.

Reactions: fifaref2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
over the last 17 yrs...Not one flat rate carrier has ever raised the rate....once its cut..that is where it has stayed...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
over the last 17 yrs...Not one flat rate carrier has ever raised the rate....once its cut..that is where it has stayed...
Exactly why I have never contracted with a flat rate carrier. Once FedEx switched it was time to leave.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly why I have never contracted with a flat rate carrier. Once FedEx switched it was time to leave.
I find with % if your in a sparse area where you might be the only unit within 100 miles the rate tends to be a little higher generally....if there is an upward blip you can benefit to being on %...

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
Brokers and carriers, You are cutting your own throats in the long term. It's kind of like fishing until all the fish are gone. Paying these low rates to drivers is going to put you out of business and or lessen your profits down the line. Drivers cannot last at these rates. What are you going to do then? Go work at Chili's as a server? I saw it happen in the mortgage industry. Short term gain for you, then long term pain. Paying drivers like this is going to put the owner operator out of business and the quality of driver you are going to get for the poor pay when driving a "company van" is going to damage your credibility. And then, how are you going to be in business? How disgusting that so many brokers and carriers hold no regard for the quality of life of the person out here moving freight on call 24/7, staying out for weeks or months at a time. Dispatchers go home everyday, shower, eat typically better, then come in and rape and pillage drivers for a few extra shekel's, so they can upgrade the suv they are driving or maybe, get that new boat, all by simply lying to and short- changing drivers. I hope it is worth it. Give it a couple years. When you lose those jet skis and home with the second mortgage on it that you used to buy a Denali off the backs of "contractors", I will be laughing, because you will, as sure as the laws of physics. Brokers and carriers, you are ruining this business the same way that mortgage broker's did real estate. I am going to be contacting nationally syndicated primetime news outlets, and I am not afraid to name names.

Supply relative to the demand . As Turtle said. It is so simple, I don't know why you involve here
dispatchers ,brokers or carriers. Why not the drivers who are running cheep?You say brokers or carriers does not care about you . Are you caring about you?Yes ,you right, rates are cheep, but you can always sell your van and change career . Or go and become a dispatcher ( who ''
go home everyday, shower, eat typically better'').One more time, not the brokers or the carriers ruining this business down. . Why not the hundreds of unqualified drivers who thought that buying a van they will own a business ??Why not those small carriers who are running without proper insurance? It is no way to pay right insurance and running that low. Here is the problem. Brokers a lot of time look away just to get a cheeper rate....

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
I agree , too many shytheads behind the wheel . I backed a guys trailer into a door yesterday after other drivers begged me to help him out so they could get around him . He spoke little English and he was driving a beat to hell Volvo . He told me he was new ... How the hell did he get his CDL

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree , too many shytheads behind the wheel . I backed a guys trailer into a door yesterday after other drivers begged me to help him out so they could get around him . He spoke little English and he was driving a beat to hell Volvo . He told me he was new ... How the hell did he get his CDL
Out of the cracker jack box.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If enough drivers refuse the rates, the brokers and carriers will make a slight adjustment.
Due to this "freight drought", be sure there are more drivers willing to accept the lower rate (even if they hate it too) than refusing it. Unfortunately.