A little help pls

drgracer46

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,I'm new here,and do like ur site.My wife and I are interested in becoming team drivers in a straight truck,problem is wife has no exp. or license,I do..I have class a. We would like if possible if i could do her training if there is such a thing. Do any of you know somebody that would do this or would offer training for her. Any response would be great...Thanx

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A number of straight-truck expediters have self-trained to get their CDLs. A class B license with HAZMAT and air brakes endorsement is typical.

In our case, with no previous truck driving experience, we studied the CDL manual that was available free from the state and passed the written test to get a permit. Then, we rented a large rental truck to practice driving with. After a Saturday afternoon's practice in a school parking lot, we felt ready for the road test, which we passed on the first try.

The challenge was finding an air-brake-equipped truck with which to take the road test. After some research, we found a company that rents trucks specifically for that purpose.

As far as the experience requirement that carriers have, it is best to get that info straight from them.

drgracer46

Seasoned Expediter
Thanx for the advice,I really do appreciate it.. If any recruiters are reading this pls contact me.We are very serious about doing this....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While some recruiters may contact you off your message, some will not because you do not yet have the needed CDL. To get full information from carriers, it is best to keep the ball in your own court and contact your carriers of interest yourself. Don't wait for the industry to come to you. Go to it to get what you want.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your most economical way to approach something like this is to approach a fleet owner with a truck to drive. You can both go to the carrier and go through orientation and drive the owners truck as a solo initially. Then you can use that truck for your test.
If she feels uncomfortable, practice in your cheap local rental truck, and then make the move. The fleet owners truck will likely have the air brakes.
I would stay away from schools and paying or going into debt to obtain a class B license.
No need to complicate the simple.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The challenge was finding an air-brake-equipped truck with which to take the road test. After some research, we found a company that rents trucks specifically for that purpose.

There is no challenge, Ryder has trucks air brakes under 26K and if you are going for a class b CDL, I would venture to guess you can talk the guy behind the counter in giving you one of those >26K trucks they have on the lot.

AND you can find testers who have (believe it or not) flatbed trucks that make it really easy to take the test in, nothing like a rear view mirror and and auto tranny.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
drgracer46,
Dave is right...Have your wife get her cdl class b by studying the book and renting a truck that has the air brakes. You can help her with the pre-trip and driving part. When she does obtain her hard copy cdl, work on getting a few names and numbers of some fleet owners that could help you get started in the business. There are quite a few of them out there now a days. When you get some experience under your belt and you BOTH have decided that this is something you BOTH enjoy, then you can look into going the owner operator route. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks and good luck,

ABC

tnt1271

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with dave also. We went through a school. To tell you the truth it really wasnt worth what you paid out for the year. Some places make you sign an extensive contract.

miketango

Seasoned Expediter
Penski rents straight trucks (licensed for 33,000 pounds) for $68.00 per day plus $0.18 per mile. Specify CDL required. Also specify automatic or six speed.
They have an hourly rate of $17.00/$0.18 per mile.
Ryder is another option.

dennis01

Seasoned Expediter
CAN ANYONE HELP!IAM AN THIRTYFIVE YEAR OLD DRIVER THAT NEEDS A COMPANY TO LEASE TO ? IM IN THE PROCESS OF BUY A CLASS EIGHT EXPEDITER AND NEED A GOOD COMPANT TO WORK FOR .I HAVE A FELONY FROM 06.CAN ANY ONE HELP? THANK YOU![email protected]