A good place to park!

Missie600

Active Expediter
Where do you guys in straight trucks park? We are in Columbus, GA. There aren't any truck stops here. We have been at the mall since 6 am. Security already made us move and told us not to park here over night. They were nice about it.

We went to a Walmart last night and it was not in a very good part of town so I wouldn't want to go back there. BRB...I just googled and there are more Walmarts in this town. Might head that direction.

Before June we only drove tractor trailers and really didn't have options as to where to park. This is new to us. AND I must say I am really happy about it....all of it! :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Cracker Barrel resturaunts are a good place to park, as are Lowe's and Home Depots.

Cracker Barrel....1500 Bradley Park Dr. Columbus, GA.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't move closer to Atlanta just for truck stop parking unless you like the probability of being robbed. A truck driver was found dead in his truck at pilot in Atlanta so advise to Stay away unless you have to. If you want decent truck stops head west on interstate 20 to exit 19 and there is a pilot and flying j. Good part of town and a short drive to Atlanta if you get a load there but you should be able to find plenty of parking in the area. Malls Wal-Mart grocery store some best buys home depot etc. Good luck

Last edited:

Missie600

Active Expediter
Thanks for the advice Chris. We are just gonna hang out in Columbus for now.

Doggie Daddy we are optimists by nature. The truck's problems has been the only thing that we have been truly disappointed in. We know we have to succeed because we put way too much time and money into this so far. Feeling sorry for ourselves ain't gonna get us nowhere!! AND OMG...I love backing this little truck up!! So much easier than the 53' trailer!!!

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
There's a small truckstop across the river in Phenix City, on US431 just south of the interchange with US280. It's an easy reach from Ft. Benning. Doesn't look like much, but there's plenty of parking if you pull in and look. C-store is so-so, but usually clean, and they have a small TV room for drivers and a Tripp-pak box if you need one. The "Waffle King" next door is a 24hour place, and the foods usually pretty good (if you like Waffle House). It's not a TA/Petro or FlyingJ, but it'll do. We've overnighted there several times without problem.

I've also overnighted at the WalMart just off of I-185 north of the airport. Can't remember the exit number right now.

Parking at the mall is available (not overnight) on the east end towards the theater, along the north edge. Security says they can monitor trucks there without the trucks blocking their camera views of the rest of the lot.

There's probably other places, but those are the ones I know.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Cracker Barrels are good. But not all Cracker Barrels have bus/rv/st parking. Jerry Lee

You can find out which one's do by picking up the directory in the store, the one's with the star next to the listing have rv parking.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've also been to the t/s Big Red mentioned. Lots of parking. Waffle House is always worth it, IMO. :D

There's also a Pilot up in LaGrange, in case you want to move back towards 85.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In general, large shopping malls are not good for overnight parking. Security patrols the lot and will run you out when the mall closes. You can usually find a place to park a straight truck in areas where there small malls or a large number of retail stores. Just think about where the trucks that service these stores would go and go there to explore for a parking spot.

An indicator Diane and I use to determine where the "good" (low crime, low risk) areas of town are is Barnes and Noble bookstores. These stores are rarely located in a "bad" part of town. The same is true of Lens Crafters.

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Yes I usually stop and eat dinner at a local restaurant etc and Ill inquire about the area/s Im in, The upscale shopping is usually a better area of town and is WELL LIT, I try and avoid the back alley, back parking lot dark areas, right out in the middle of a well lit Home depot works great, Walmarts can be good but ya there are some that are not in good areas, A sign of the area for me is do I hear BOOMBOX Car stereos all over, street racing, people lurking about, I do not stay there....

Cracker barrels are decent as they are under surveillance in the parking lot and the crooks know it, Most Lowes, Home Depot, Meier, and other large retailers will let you stay, I usually make a point to buy something, Ice etc...Then Ill wait till the rush is over and move to a well lit area near or under a light pole off on e the sides, away from heavy traffic or Entrances or exits, and park, Ive never been run out yet.

I rarely saty in a truck stop, too much noise from the Numbskulls who think going down the Center aisle then letting your JAKE BRAKE wake everyone is funny....I havent slept in a truck stop parking lot in forever...

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I try to be right out in the open. Sleep with my marker lights on to show the truck is occupied. I've been asked to leave a retail area , once..and they were very polite about it.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

armin88

Expert Expediter
I always try to stay at truck stops as much as possible but if there none close Ill park at Walmart or any area I can find a spot. I always find a t/s during my pre trip planing and in most cases there a t/s within 50 miles sometimes I drive the 50 miles if I had too,better safe then being sorry later.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I always try to stay at truck stops as much as possible but if there none close Ill park at Walmart or any area I can find a spot. I always find a t/s during my pre trip planing and in most cases there a t/s within 50 miles sometimes I drive the 50 miles if I had too,better safe then being sorry later.

I sure wouldn't drive 50 miles to get my truck backed into by some unskilled, too tired 18 wheeler driver. Been there done that, learned my lesson.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I sure wouldn't drive 50 miles to get my truck backed into by some unskilled, too tired 18 wheeler driver. Been there done that, learned my lesson.

I try to park my straight even with the t/t's so I'm more visible to backing vehicles.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Don't know if your still there but a Chevron T/Stop is on hwy 80 east side of town. Maybe we'll call it a fuel stop but lots of parking and just down the street from the P/d dept and they patrol it. Future reference. If you were going to Macon Ga that's how you would go.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's pretty bittersweet, but in most places, vacant businesses aren't hard to find, even in the 'nicer' parts of town. [Especially in industrial parks].
Almost any big box [KMart, Best Buy, Costco] or grocery store is a good possibility. When I'm home [SW Cleveland] I usually park at Costco, and they've never bothered me.

Missie600

Active Expediter
Yes Doggie Daddy fortunately we have moved on, but this is giving me some great ideas for the next time we are stopped!