A good place to park!

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got booted in a walmart parking lot in atlanta area. there is a petro on the west side off I - 285 exit 12. it is a pay lot but very secure and if you eat there or buy fuel parking is free. south of atlanta there is an independent called fairburn family travel plaza exit 61 off 85. just a couple of suggestions. Atlanta is not the bad place everyone says if you are careful but that goes for anywhere..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That petrol has had many safety problems despite the fence and cops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

rotcaal

Active Expediter
Where do you guys in straight trucks park? We are in Columbus, GA. There aren't any truck stops here. We have been at the mall since 6 am. Security already made us move and told us not to park here over night. They were nice about it.

We went to a Walmart last night and it was not in a very good part of town so I wouldn't want to go back there. BRB...I just googled and there are more Walmarts in this town. Might head that direction.

Before June we only drove tractor trailers and really didn't have options as to where to park. This is new to us. AND I must say I am really happy about it....all of it! :D

South of Atlanta there are a couple.

rotcaal

Active Expediter
also one of them has idle air, and there is a decent motel on the west side of the interstate that has good rates and a walmart a couple exits north of the truck stops.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't move closer to Atlanta just for truck stop parking unless you like the probability of being robbed.

I was at TA somewhere way north of Atlanta and somebody forced my backdoor. He couldn't open it, maybe someone else was walking by, but what I wanna say, this stuff happened in day time. Indeed, Atlanta ain't heaven!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I try to park my straight even with the t/t's so I'm more visible to backing vehicles.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums
I used to do that too, until I got the left front fender ripped off one day. So, then I started backing up in the parking spot to give 'em some room, until the same fender got ripped off again. After that I started being very picky about where I parked, preferrably parking next to a curb on the driver's side. Sometimes the parking is such that you know they will be pulling out in a certain direction, then I would try to be to where the truck left of me would turning away from me when he pulls out.

That all worked great, until one day when I pulled into one of the Love's truckstop where they just have a few spots in the rear. Only one spot was open and I didn't like the looks of it. So at the end of the fuel islands, there was an extra wide drive around area. Obviously wide enough to park next to the fence and all I wanted was a Subway sandwich and then I had places to be. So, I parked at the end of the fuel island. I was sitting there eating my sub when the flatbed driver decided to make a sharp swing and come through between my truck and the last fuel island. The truck made it no problem, but the front of the trailer..as he turned... stuck out just enough to slam the back of my truck. It ruined the back door, the corner post and the side panel on the box. I couldnt get the door open or functional at all, so I had to give up the 1350 mile load that I was on my way to pick up the next morning.

I don't like truckstops. There is no way to park in a truckstop that will keep you from being run over by somebody that's not paying attention. I've driven t/t and i know they are tough to maneuver in a truck stop parking lot, but I was a new driver when I started and I never touched another truck.