A Death In The Family

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 544,000 miles young my 2004 Chevy died. Oil pressure dropped and is barely registering at idle. Time to make a decision on what to do. I was hoping to get through the winter and come spring buy a cube, Max or HCV. Now I'm not sure what to do. My mechanic will drop in a rebuilt or junker motor, but like he said: "That van doesn't owe you anything." I hate to replace the motor and then have the transmission fail in a few months.

Just about every major component on it is original with the exception of the front rotors and pads, alternator, and front bearings. Here is a link to what I put into it at 500,000 miles. http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/46492-maintenance-costs-2004-cargo-van.html

I sold my 1998 Chevy with 375,000 miles on it. I should have kept it for at least another year. Probably should have sold my 2004 shortly after it hit the half million mile mark. Oh well!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like thats the magic number, my 03 Gmc gave up its life at 500,800 and a friends 03 Chevy did also,Me I bought another van, My friend bought a reman motor that lasted 200,000 miles.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Depending on the price to fix it and the vehicle you intend on buying you might find it is a good investment. Once it hits 2012 you will be able to buy any left over vans from the previous year at a good discount.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you think you may want to hold onto it. Why not go to a salvage yard and if you find something newer with low mileage, ask if you can have an analysis done on the oil. They should allow you to drop the oil pan on the transmission to inspect it. And get them both at once.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't play around with junker motors Moot....we are hard on them...all highway, high speed runs, continuous running...
Take the dive..buy new....

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Moot if there is no knocking or tapping maybe it is just the oil pump or a bad sending unit?? did you have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge?? could be a cheap and easy fix. Think positive!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry to hear that Moot. I'd have expected you to get much more. I guess all that bad "ban the van" karma bit you in the tookus.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't play around with junker motors Moot....
I agree. At this point a junker or rebuilt isn't worth the pain in the butt and expense to drop in.

we are hard on them...all highway, high speed runs, continuous running...

On the contrary, we are easy on them. Continuous highway running is much easier on a motor than stop and go city driving. At least if the speeds and weight aren't excessive. I have yet to add any make-up oil between oil changes.

Take the dive..buy new
It will probably come to that. I really wanted to get through the winter with this van and take the time to spec out something with more headroom. Right now as it stands, if I buy new, it will be a standard cargo van.

I'm gambling about $300 to drop the pan and check for a blown gasket or O-ring failure which this engine has some history of. If there is no evidence of these problems I may throw in another $500 to replace the oil pump if it cant' be pressure tested. Sure would like to get through the winter in this van.

quickpickup1

Seasoned Expediter
Moot,
I would have the oil pickup checked for any clogs,the o-ring that mates the pickup to the oil pump also.The sensors and wiring have alot of issues as well as the gauges are not the best.
Both of my vans had issues with the sensors and wiring.The wiring gets chaffed and comes apart internaly.sometimes it looks like the wiring is good but a small slice/pinch/wiggling,causes the copper to corrode and gives a false signal.sensors also go bad just from age and uncalibrating themselves.The o-ring gets brittle and doesnt seal like it should(causing it to suck air and lose oil pressure).The oil pumps and main bearings are bullet proof!!Unless you hear a rod nock or slapping,I doubt that its the problem.The oil pump is inexpesive as well as the chain and gaskets.but oem is the best!!!I had 650k on one van and 350k on the other still going,using coventional oils and every 5k changes.The only reason the 650k van is dead is bcos of a total loss due to a accident.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An external oil pressure gauge confirms the readings on the dash gauge. Oil pan will be removed and O-ring etc. will be checked. I average just under 6000 miles per oil change using conventional oil.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot, One of two things that come to mind, oil pump failing, or the mains are worn - with the thrust surface for the crank journal opening up through wear. Easy test is to see if the crank has too much lateral play in it.

I venture to guess it could be the OP, seeing that they have a built in life time line by design.

$500 for an oil pump?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The funeral has been canceled. The patient is alive and well. An $8.50 oil cooler gasket failed. A $7.00 inlet pickup O-ring was also replaced. Of course to get to these parts the oil pan had to be dropped and a $107.00 oil pan gasket replaced. Total bill with labor, including installing an outside gauge to confirm low oil pressure, $502.50. I can live with that!
Oil cooler gasket.
IMG_0390.jpg

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The funeral has been canceled. The patient is alive and well. An $8.50 oil cooler gasket failed. A $7.00 inlet pickup O-ring was also replaced. Of course to get to these parts the oil pan had to be dropped and a $107.00 oil pan gasket replaced. Total bill with labor, including installing an outside gauge to confirm low oil pressure, $502.50. I can live with that!
Oil cooler gasket.
IMG_0390.jpg

Roll on Brother Moot!