9-10 Year Lurker Finally Joins The EOL Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brisco

Hey All,

Well, after spending 9 plus years reading this board on a regular basis, I have finally decided to join to get involved and ask questions here and there.

Some of you here may recognize my "user" name as I am very active on many other "trucking" related boards. Yes, I am the "Brisco" from the Hotshot boards, the LTL boards, the RV boards, as well as a few other off-the-wall trucking boards.

Quick background on my trucking experience. I spent many years as an "Independant Contractor" running Automotive Logistical "Parts" routes of the DFW area throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Lousiana, and New Mexico driving 1 ton Pickups pulling 20-24ft enclosed trailers and up to 14-28ft Box Trucks. I have been an "RV Transporter" for 3 different companies as an O/O delivering new RV's out of Indiana to dealerships all over the country. I was a "FEMA" driver for a while after Katrina hit driving a FEMA F350 delivering FEMA trailers all over the Southeast. I have also ran "local" auto parts delivery routes all throughout the DFW area for Automotive Dealerships as an "Independant Contractor" a time or two.

Oh Yeah, I also ran a "Federal Reserve" route throughout the North Texas area picking up and delivering Federal Reserve documents and paperwork to and from Banks for about a year.

I just wanted to cover that little bit to say Yes, I have been "behind the windshield" of a truck for well over 10 years now and fully understand what an "Independant Contractor" does. "Expediting" is just another entity of the "O/O - Independant Contractor" industry when it comes to driving related careers and ones needs to understanding exactly what a "Small Business Owner" is up against when contracting their time and vehicles out to other companies as well as the risks and costs that are involved.

Why have I been "Lurking" for 9 years here?? Well, sit back and enjoy a long story while I explain why and tell some of my experiences with you guys and also tell you why my decision to finally join came about today. (If you have to go to the bathroom, make an important phone, or heading out on a dispatched call, or so on, read this later, OK! :D)

About 9-10 years ago when I was doing local deliveries for an automotive paint store Panther II ran a little 3 line ad in the Dallas Morning News employment ads. I can't remember the wording, but it said something like "Cargo Vans needed for Nationwide Deliveries", or something to that matter. It had a phone number to call so I called it. I talked to one of their recruiters and he explained to me that they have cargo vans that pick up and deliver stuff from point A to B all throughout the country. He really couldn't elaborate on what it was or what it might be that I would be delivering. During that first conversation he was vague and really kept emphasizing that his 2 top "Cargo Van" drivers the year prior grossed $101,000 and $86,000 respectively. I kept asking "you mean you're going to pay me XXX amount of money to drive a Cargo Van out there on the open road while traveling and seeing parts of the country I may never get to see otherwise???" He kept answering Yep, that's what we do. I also asked since they were up there in Ohio and I'm all the way down here in Texas is there going to be work for me in Texas. One of his answers was Yes, they are starting to grow in Texas.

Well, me not knowing what "Expediting" was, and me wanting to get out there and do some traveling, I was hooked. A little skeptical, but hooked. The recruiter then sent me an application packet by mail. When I got it I was like, what the hell?? That application was like 27 pages of stuff I had to fill out. It took me 2 weeks to get all the information needed to cross every T and dot every I on that application. I did it though, this looked like an opportunity of a lifetime. BUT, my skepticism got the best of me a couple of days later. When I finished that application I called the guy and said "It's ready" and asked how he wanted me to send it back to him. He asked that I fax it to him as quick as I can. So, I faxed all 27 pages to him from the paint store I was contracting with (cool manager). It was not even an hour later when he called me back and said "Application Looks Good", you're hired. When can you start???

Well, skepticism kicked in hard right then and there. It took me 2 weeks to fill that app out and they hired me in less than an hour from receiving my app. No verifications, no background checks, nothing. I then started my "online" quest to learn everything I could about "Expediting". (I wasn't an "internet junkie" as I am now back then) I found Panther II's website and learned about them. I found their "Territory Coverage" map they used to have and they only covered like 9-10 northeastern states, no Texas at all. And I found this little fledgeling website/discussion board called "Expeditorsonline.com".

Man, can I say this place has grown over the years!!! I remember when it was just Lawrence and maybe 5 advertisers on this website and maybe 20-30 posters on an antiquated discussion board whos format sucked when it came to posting and reading threads. Kudo's to Lawrence for switching it to this format, although it took him quite a few years to do it. :)

Anyways, after finally realizing that "Expediting" is just another form of "Courier" driving that covers state to state driving instead of inner city driving, and knowing that local courier companies advertise $1,000 a week when reality is maybe $3-$400 a week, I came to the conclusion that the guy at Panther was full of pits and decided that it would not be in my best interest to pursue it any further. Two things helped me in that decision. One being that Texas wasn't even highlighted on Panthers coverage map, and two being anybody(recruiters) that push $$$ figures over work involved helped me make my decision easy. Plus, I had never never seen a "Panther II" van anywhere on any of these freeways back then. My chances of ever getting home in a "Cargo Van" were slim and none back then.

So, I went and did other "OTR" type of work over the years. BUT, I have been reading and keeping up with this board ever since. Yes, it has been 9-10 years since I found this place and I have seen this board grow tremendously. This IS the mecca when it comes to information one wants and is seeking when it comes to Expediting. Again, hats off to Lawrence for keeping this thing going.

Now the history is covered and to the reason I finally decided to join.

There is a large Expediting company that is currently recruiting on our local internet job boards. This expediting company is based out of Chicago and is not an advertised vendor or supporter of EOL. On the other hand, they once tryed to start up a website that was in direct competiton with EOL and they claim to be the "Foremost Authority" when it comes to expediting knowledge and information on the internet. Their "EOL" type of website is still up, but the information on it is real outdated and their links to discussion boards and classified ads are linked to this board. I am not referrencing their name because I don't know why they are not supporters here, but I am sure Lawrence knows who I am referring too.

They are advertising .80-.90 + f/s for Cargo Vans (B) and only $231 a month contractors fees a month. (they do not use q-coms, but do require one to get their own "Nextel" 2 way radio service) No Haz-Mat or Canada runs.

I have been watching all you guys rates drop and drop for the last year-year 1/2 and am wondering if this company is trying the "blow smoke up *** routine" that Panther tried with me years ago with their advertised rates and are stocking up on inexperienced Cargo Van drivers. Their coverage area on their map does include Texas and just about every state straight north of Texas and to the east coast.

I have been off for about 6 months now. I really want to give "Expediting" a try in a Cargo Van someday. Reason I want to go with a Cargo Van is that I really don't want to mess with DOT regulations, scale houses, logging, and so on. I've been down that road as an RV Hauler. As an O/O, there's just too much to lose when it comes to what a scale house can find wrong at any given time.

I know people are saying "Don't Get into Expediting" right now, of which I fully understand. But, I have been watching you guys activity pick up here a lot lately. Could this be the calm before the storm? Is freight picking back up as the economy is getting stronger? Are the Cargo Vans that have been lost due to poor freight rates and poor money management going to be replaced in these carriers fleets any time soon? Is this one company that is advertising down here in DFW growing again and truely need drivers based here in the DFW area? Many questions, know what I mean.

I would feel comfortable giving Expediting a try now. Over the last 5-6-7 years Expediting is becoming a staple in the trucking industry down here in Texas. I see PII Vans and S/T's. I see Fedex Vans, S/T's and E Units all the time. I see a Bolt Van here and there. I have seen Express 1 vans, and even a Tri-State van. Expediting is growing down here in Texas, I have witnessed it.

Even at todays rates and minimal freight, are there any companies besides this one I was "referring" to needing "Cargo Vans" out there that will get me back here to Texas every 2-3 weeks?

I am financially secure with that "second" income that may be needed to get over this "Hump" til freight takes off full force again. My "Fixed Expenses" here at home are well below the $1K level. (no mortgage payments, wife, or those "Kids" to feed) I can easily get a 12 ft Spartan Van if anyones hiring. (4 ft bunkhouse with "TALL" 2 pallet freight area) I easily have 3-4-5-6 month operating expenses til freight picks up full force, so on. I do have a Passport and Pass Card and don't mind Canadian runs. I do have a "C-CDL" and I do not wish to haul Haz-Mat at all. I know some of you say "get it" so that you will be available for all loads, but IMO, it's not worth it for that 1 load out of 30 that may come up.

Now, don't think I finally joined after lurking for all these years just to "beg for a job", OK. It's not like that at all. I just have this feeling that Expediting may be coming out of it's slump and with the mass exodus of cargo vans that expediting has experienced over the last year or so that this may be the time to get in on the ground floor finally. I am pretty good on these 'intuitions" also. I had a similar feeling back in 2007 when diesel started hitting $3.19-$3.39 a gallon when I was running RV's out of Indiana. Something told me to "Get Off The Road Now" before the pit hit the fan, and I did. Sure enough, diesel hit $5.00 a gallon and RV Haulers left and right lost their ashes not only due to diesel prices, but also due to the RV industry dying out as a whole.

I finally joined just to say "Hey", I'm out here in Texas and know your industry like the back of my hand. If there's a recruiter reading this thinking I can keep this guy busy for a while, then my joining may pay off. If not, I'll still be around and when that time comes I'm sure some recruiter out there will remember this looooong boring post and say, "Let's give that Nutt a try".:p

There's just a few things I want to do while I still can. I want to see Niagra Falls. I want to experience NYC. I'd like to try some Boston Clam Chowder in Boston itself. I'd like to try some fresh Maine lobster. I want to see all 4 Great Lakes. I'd like to tell someone I drove "South" to get into Canada. I'd like to wake up with 3 feet of snow outside someday. I really want away from this TEXAS HEAT from May til November, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for the long read. Comments, good and bad are welcome. I can give it just as well as some of you can, so look out.;)

Later!

Brisco

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
WOW Briscoe,not a word for 9-10 years and then you let loose with a war and peace length post.:eek:

BTW,welcome to EO.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Welcome. :)

First thing, take a little closer look at the back of your hand. hehe

The cargo vans lost still have not caught up with the freight. Meaning, there are still far more cargo vans out here than there is freight for them. Freight is picking up, but this is far from the hump. Freight always picks up this time of year. Load counts are up, that's for sure, but the economy has not bounced back, so there's no reason to think that freight has bounced back for anything other than the normal August-to-November bump. Carriers are not hiring new vans in any large numbers, yet. That may come, but the carriers also know that this Fall Bump in freight won't last past December. Rather than hire new vans, some carriers are becoming more of a broker to other carriers, than they are with their own fleet. If you are prepared to sit sometimes for extended periods, you can still make it work. I don't know of any major carrier who would even try to guarantee you that you'll get home to Texas every 3-4 weeks. There are times you might not get a load anywhere near Texas for 3-4 months, and there may also be times when you don't leave the state for 5 weeks and still run more than 2000 miles a week on average. You just never know where the next load is going to take you. I go to Canada a lot, except that I haven't been up there since March. Been in Texas a lot, tho.

As for HAZMAT in a van, most carriers won't put HAZMAT on a van. I won't go into the reasons why, nor the real reasons why, but suffice it to say that most won't. Some require a CDL, tho, and some don't. If you have a Class-C CDL (meaning you have some kind of endorsement already, either HAZMAT or Passenger), then you're good to go regardless.

BTW, with a lot of carriers, there is a lot of freight that goes into Texas, but those carriers may or may not be able to get freight out of Texas as easily. Just seeing logos on the road and at truck stops doesn't necessarily mean anything. You'd be shocked to know how many van loads go to Laredo in a week, versus how many loads come out, and how many just deadhead out on their own.

As an expediter, you will get to see a lot of things that you wouldn't get to see otherwise. Of course, you'll see the vast majority of it at night, but hey, them's the breaks. :D

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bistro,

Thanks for the post! Would like to address your post... :)

Can you please drop me a email? [email protected] There was a problem with your user ID and we would like to fix it ASAP for you. Thanks!

Lawrence

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Brisco's username is working properly again. However, the first post in this thread will always say 'guest' (unless someone smarter than me knows how to fix that...) :eek:

So if you see another username Brisco, it is really the same person!

Brisco, sorry for the inconvenience, hope you will be back and post again before another 9-10 years go by! :D

~Chillout

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Brisco's username is working properly again. However, the first post in this thread will always say 'guest' (unless someone smarter than me knows how to fix that...) :eek:

So if you see another username Brisco, it is really the same person!

Brisco, sorry for the inconvenience, hope you will be back and post again before another 9-10 years go by! :D

~Chillout

Hahaha.......

Sorry for settin' off all the bells and buzzers at "Houston Control" last night Chill.

Also, Thanks for the fix and the understanding of my "Security Concerns" when it comes to "Open Discussion Boards" on the internet. Been around these things for years and have even created a board or two on my own. I knew exactly what had happened.

Lawrence, Thanks for the e-mails too.

"CHILLOUT" - Very well thought of and very creative username when it comes to selecting a board name and comparing it to your real name. I like it.

"Brisco" was created in a similar manner. ;)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Doggie Daddy - "War & Peace", that's funny. I wonder what would've happened if I had've waited another 9-10 years. :D

Sorry about the "4 Lake" comment, but when I look at maps and see those 4 Great Lakes up there I never really pay attention that little tributary sitting over there on the right. Guess since I'm around all these Canadians here I'll pay a little more respect to that pond, I mean LAKE, from now on. (Haha)

Turtle,

I fully understand where you were going with your advice and comments.

Yes, I have been keeping a closer look at the back of my hands. My "RIGHT" hand has been saying "take a chance", you know enough to survive until the freight picks back up. Opprtunity may be knocking right now. The Manager at Mickey D's probably started out as the fry cook, but he took a chance one time and is doing OK where he's at.

Now my "LEFT" hand is saying "forget about it for now". Wait it out. You can sit on your goals and dreams as long as you want. No need to get out there and make it on your own, you're doing OK just where you're at. Why take a risk when there's no reason to take risks at this time in your life, especially in "our" economy. My left does keep saying, "you're comfortable right now in your unemployed way of living and don't worry too much because you're being taken of ".

You know, kind of like the way it is all over America right now. My opportunistic RIGHT hand is being held back by my LEFT hand that is giving doubt when it comes to me making up my own mind and trying to actually do something worthwhile in my life.

So, I'm in a conundrum with this whole ordeal right now.

What makes it even more puzzling is "WHY" is that certain Expediting company in Chicago recruiting here in the DFW area right now? I have been reading their website trying to find news about expansion down here. None found. I did find an article that shows "Rocket Expedited" (an EO Supporter) just bought one of our "Air Freight Forwarding" companies here outside DFW airport. (TowneAir), but they are not recruitng drivers here in the DFW area as this one company in Chicago is. Besides Panther advertising down here a couple of times over the years, no other "Expediting" company has ever "recruited" out of the DFW area before. Or none that I have ran across, and I have always watched the job boards just to be kept "Informed" in case something better ever came my way.

That's why I'm really at odds with the whole ordeal. I trust what is said here when it comes to people talking about rates and freight availibility and take their advice seriously. But on the other hand, a well established company that doesn't support EO is actively recruiting down here for what I want to drive (CV-B unit) with rates I can live with (.80 - .90 + FS) and low monthly Contractor Deductions (no QC).

So, what's a Brisco do to??? I'd hate to pass this opportunity by, but is it smoke being blown up my wazoo like Panther tried 9-10 years ago??

That's where I'm at right now.

Thanks for the comments so far. :)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
So inquiring minds would like to know what happened?

Nope, not going to be explained. At least on my part.

Let's just say I'm no board dummy when it comes to these things and leave it at that. ;)

Thanks for your interest anyways Greg. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh I guess it is a mystery... no biggie just wondered.

I wondered if chill was going to bite on the answer they asked for or not.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Other than picking up the phone and calling them and asking them, I wouldn't try to read too much into why a Chicago company would be recruiting in Dallas. They may very well be recruiting in Tulsa and Atlanta, too. They may get a few loads going to Dallas and are having a problem getting them covered, because they can't get anything back out of there, so they figure if they hire someone who lives down there they have a better shot at getting the load covered. I dunno.

Panther is based out of the Akron, OH area, and I know at least one person who has been with Panther for 3 years and has never been to the office. I've only been there three times, and even that was only because I was on loads that passed right by it. I live in western Kentucky and you'd be shocked at how rare it is that I get a load within 200 miles of the house. It happens, but certainly not as often as once a month. Unless you are expediting mostly local freight, it really and truly doesn't matter where the office is, or where you live, when you are leased on to one of the major carriers. That is, unless you want to go home every three weeks. In that case, you'd better live in an area of the country where a majority of the freight delivers into, which is the Midwest.

Plan on going where the freight takes you, plan on staying out 2-3 months at a time, and in the meantime if a load takes you close to home, go home. The one thing that will kill you out here is unnecessary deadhead . I know people who will deadhead home to Michigan from Laredo because they want to be home for the weekend. Which begs the question of why did they take a load to Laredo in the first place, only to then deadhead it all way? These are the people who complain that they're not making any money. Well, duh.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Oh yeah, I have my doubts as to why the Chicago based Expediting company is recruiting down here in Texas with rates for CV's from 6 months ago Turtle, that's why I'm in the conundrum I'm in.

My knowledge learned here is what has kept me from "picking up the phone" and calling them direct. I'd probably irritate them anyway with what little I know from reading this board over all these years with the questions I would be asking. After the 17th question, they'd probably be like "Sorry Sir, we can't help you" and hang up. Then they would think to themselves "Man, that guy was onto us!!!".

Sad thing is, how many people down here that know nothing about expediting are going to answer their ad, believe what the recruiter tells them, and regret it 2-3 months later when they're sitting up there outside Detroit for 4 days after coming off their last run that was only 178 miles after sitting for 3 days prior to that??

Ya know, I really like this site and have kept up with a lot of you guys over the years. Hate to say this Greg, but ATeam is one my favs. I have kept up with the ATeam way back since those 2 were driving someone else's truck. I have been reading his Blog and Stories ever since he started them up and followed his travels all over this country. (BUT, ATeam, the trading blogs are getting boring.:rolleyes:. I wanna hear more about your life on the road and Fire Hydrants, Not trading. :D)

I've also been around for the tragic stories. That custom D unit that burned to the ground after the wreck in Florida. The lady in the Sprinter that got rear-ended and rolled a couple of times breaking both her wrists I believe. The expeditor that was shot and killed by his wifes brother, or something like that. Jarhead is currently under medical observations concerning his headaches, and so and so on.

Kept up with a lot of lifestyles from previous drivers too. Main one I recall was that "D" unit solo driver who had that real nice custom painted truck and was on the road to support his daughters "mini-drag racing" hobby. I used to love the pics he would put up of his truck and his daughters racing set up. Used to think myself, "Man, I could run a truck like that and go racing myself on my off time".

But, as this board reflects, times are not the way were, or have been, over the last 9-10 years. Yes, I am being reluctant on calling that company myself. I know what's happening out there in the Expediting world with the rates, the freight, the downtimes people are having, and so on.

Just glad to finally have my name out here that puts me not only in a "learning" position as I have been all these years. But to also be able to "participate" here and there to keep me learning about expediting.

Brisco

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Whew..... thank God your not part of my fan club.... Phil has some good stories.

Seriously have you thought about just being an independent and not worrying about who to driver for?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
There is a large Expediting company that is currently recruiting on our local internet job boards. This expediting company is based out of Chicago and is not an advertised vendor or supporter of EOL. On the other hand, they once tryed to start up a website that was in direct competiton with EOL and they claim to be the "Foremost Authority" when it comes to expediting knowledge and information on the internet. Their "EOL" type of website is still up, but the information on it is real outdated and their links to discussion boards and classified ads are linked to this board. I am not referrencing their name because I don't know why they are not supporters here, but I am sure Lawrence knows who I am referring too.

They are advertising .80-.90 + f/s for Cargo Vans (B) and only $231 a month contractors fees a month. (they do not use q-coms, but do require one to get their own "Nextel" 2 way radio service) No Haz-Mat or Canada runs.

I can't recommend this company.

edbrakos

Not a Member
Heya Brisco

Kind of like you ive been reading the forums for years. Im driving solo in an C unit and will watch for your continued interest & hopefully youll pull it off successfully.
Like you im a long time reader of the Ateams writings. Lots of good wisdom and advice hes written from a drivers perspective. Actually, youre one of the first persons thats mentioned his name without the onslaught brought on by those that dont drive. Seperating the BS from reality is the first thing i had to wade thru here. Knowing from whose post to take actaull advice from.
Hang in there Sir and I hope you nothing but success.

Status
Not open for further replies.