6 V versus 12 V House batteries

spwohl

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In nearly any post regarding house bank batteries, it seems everyone connects 6V batteries in series to get their 12 volts. Why don't people use a pair of 12V's in parallel to get the same bang? Is is avaialbility (due to golf carts?)?

spwohl

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Are you seriously saying that the 6V deep cycle is deeper than the 12 V deep cycle? Or did you think I was comparing starter batteries to house batts?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
spwohl wrote:

Are you seriously saying that the 6V deep cycle is deeper than the 12 V deep cycle?

Well when you factor in Peukert Law and calculate...

Have I been reading alot and retaining or what!?!? :D

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
spwohl wrote:

Well when you factor in Peukert Law and calculate...

Have I been reading alot and retaining or what!?!? :D

lol... oh boy, Turtle is gonna line all you out when he sees this :D

The only reason he hasn't posted yet is 'cause it's taking this long to type it..lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Never saw the thread, actually. :)

OK, a couple of 12-volts versus a couple of 6-volts, the common dilemma. Seems like a couple of 12-volts gets you the same, or more bang. But it's just the opposite. And it's because, primarily, of the amount of lead per 12-volts, and the lead's configuration.

Whether it's a 6-volt or a 12-volt battery, each cell is gonna be 2.1-volts. Three cells in a 6-volt battery, six in a 12-volt battery. Obviously, with only three cells in a 6-volt battery, there is more room for bigger lead plates. 6-volt batteries are usually taller, so you have both taller and thicker lead plates in a 6-volt battery, which means more capacity, longer reserve time, and deeper discharges.

"Are you seriously saying that the 6V deep cycle is deeper than the 12 V deep cycle?"

Believe it or don't, yes, that's precisely what he's saying. The taller, thicker plates of a 6-volt battery make it a deeper-cycle battery than an identical AH 12-volt battery.

Pound for pound, taller plates with more surface area will yield more Reserve Capacity due to the more efficient electrochemical processes to store and release energy, and because of that and the Peukert Effect you end up with more usable amp hours per pound of lead.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Never saw the thread, actually. :)

OK, a couple of 12-volts versus a couple of 6-volts, the common dilemma. Seems like a couple of 12-volts gets you the same, or more bang. But it's just the opposite. And it's because, primarily, of the amount of lead per 12-volts, and the lead's configuration.

Whether it's a 6-volt or a 12-volt battery, each cell is gonna be 2.1-volts. Three cells in a 6-volt battery, six in a 12-volt battery. Obviously, with only three cells in a 6-volt battery, there is more room for bigger lead plates. 6-volt batteries are usually taller, so you have both taller and thicker lead plates in a 6-volt battery, which means more capacity, longer reserve time, and deeper discharges.

"Are you seriously saying that the 6V deep cycle is deeper than the 12 V deep cycle?"

Believe it or don't, yes, that's precisely what he's saying. The taller, thicker plates of a 6-volt battery make it a deeper-cycle battery than an identical AH 12-volt battery.

Pound for pound, taller plates with more surface area will yield more Reserve Capacity due to the more efficient electrochemical processes to store and release energy, and because of that and the Peukert Effect you end up with more usable amp hours per pound of lead.

Ok Turtle, humor me here.. never checked out 6 volt batteries.

If I have room for one 12 volt battery as a house battery, will two 6 volt batteries fit in that space?

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok Turtle, humor me here.. never checked out 6 volt batteries.

If I have room for one 12 volt battery as a house battery, will two 6 volt batteries fit in that space?
Nope. If space dimensions is the primary concern, sometimes 12-volts is the only option. The whole point of 6-volt batteries is to put three larger 2-volt cells into the roughly the same space as six cells, so that you can have larger AH capacities without needing a crane to move the batteries.

A standard Group 31 (truck or marine) battery is 12.9 wide x 6.75 deep x 9.27 tall.

A standard Golf Cart battery is 10.28 x 7.06 x 9.92 (or 13.02).

Now, if your 12-volt battery is a behemoth 8D battery, which is a 156 pound, 20.76 x 10.89 x 8.54 monster, then yeah, a couple of GC batteries will fit perfectly.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Gotcha, thanks! Didn't realize 6 volts were that big. Never did the golf cart thing.. our 'cart' out here is a Kawasaki Mule :)

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You should see an L-16 floor scrubber battery. It's kind of like a taller golf cart battery, but about an inch wider. It's 120 pounds. And that's for 6-volts. They also have it in 2-volts, same size and weight. One 2-volt cell at 120 pounds. You need six of those for a 12-volt battery. That's essentially a 720 pound 12-volt battery. 1200 AH, 2850 RC. :D

spwohl

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thanks turtle. I got my answer and some fun mixed in. I'll have to research Peukert effect before I figure if you and the Chef are pulling my leg.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
spwohl wrote:

I'll have to research Peukert effect before I figure if you and the Chef are pulling my leg.

LOL, I never heard of it until i read Turtles "stuff"...in this post i was just showin that i have read his "stuff"...LOL, anyhow, here you go:

Peukert Effect

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Peukert Effect is kind of like fuel mileage. When you drive slower you get better fuel mileage, more miles to the tank. When you drive fast, fuel mileage goes down, fewer miles per tank. It's the same with batteries, where if you draw amps out very slowly, you get more amps from the battery, and it you draw amps out at a high rate, you have less amps to draw.

The link above is a good one, and it mentions SmartGauge. I highly recommend reading pretty much everything at the Smartgauge site, all the links on the Technical Info page, anyway. It's a wealth of information, well written and presented in an understandable manner (some of which I'm familiar with on a rather intimate level ;) ).

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You must have done good. This is by far the shortest answer Ive seen Turtle give on an electonics question. :D

Just havin some fun with him. He is definitely the most knowledgable person Ive ever known when it comes to eletrical setups.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hey, let's focus on the fact that I answered it right and did it in short order, lol!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, the charge on a 12-volt deep cycle battery is a deep cycle charge, too. ;)