50 New Straight Trucks

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
I just stopped in a Pilot near Fort Wayne Indiana, notice truck after trucks going by with Fedex Custom Critical Labels. One of the trailers that were hauling these new trucks, stopped at the same pilot to get gas. I spoke with the hauler; he stated they came from Stoops bought by someone from Tennessee.

I am thinking, wow, who has the money to buy this large amount and on with one company? Also, I am a little concern about the challenge to getting freight now.

Please no sarcastic comments, we are all adults, unless you cannot answer the question the sarcastic remarks are understandable by lack of logical conversation that you can provide.

I figure to ask intelligently what are your thoughts, is this something that is of a concern to us owner/operators, or did this guy talk about something that he is hearing third wind? But, I did see a lot of trucks go by with Fedex Custom Critical on it...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I just stopped in a Pilot near Fort Wayne Indiana, notice truck after trucks going by with Fedex Custom Critical Labels. One of the trailers that were hauling these new trucks, stopped at the same pilot to get gas. I spoke with the hauler; he stated they came from Stoops bought by someone from Tennessee.

I am thinking, wow, who has the money to buy this large amount and on with one company? Also, I am a little concern about the challenge to getting freight now.

I know a fleet owner in Tennessee who could buy and very well might buy 50 FDCC straight trucks but I do not know that he has. What kind of trucks were these exactly? Class 7? Class 8? Day cabs or sleepers? Boxes? Reefers? Lift axles? Truck brand? Color? That kind of information may help get your question answered.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Looks like Expediter Services new trucks are in and ready to go to work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
They all have sleepers, class 8, white, some with lift gates, some are having lift axles put on. Very nice trucks, Freightliners, very intimidating (to me).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Blue Cross,Blue Shield insurance.
So many here are tight with Stoops. One phone call should tell us if it's an outfit in/near a large city on northside of the Interstate.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
They all have sleepers, class 8, white, some with lift gates, some are having lift axles put on. Very nice trucks, Freightliners, very intimidating (to me).[/QUOTE]

Personally I'd look at it as a good thing with the little info that has been offered up at this point. You have a major player (and yes there are several that can afford this kind of purchase) investing heavily in the industry. That to me would show a strong faith that there is still alot of money to be made in the coming yrs...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Think I would go with ES based on this ad.
2012 Freightliner Cascadia C113 ASC&page=1
Homepage says they are just now getting them. Looks like some will be for sale. Can't imagine that price with them coming from a dealer.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sounds like Paul is upgrading his fleet. We are doing the same on some newer units. Just bought a 2006 Volvo and a 2007 Freightliner from Bobby Snyder of Fyda Freightliner of Columbus, Ohio.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I made a call. I would bet ES also.
I think ES was saying they could get you an $8000 discount on trucks they buy from Stoops.
The mass shipment,rather than a load here or there seems odd on an order that small.
When U-Haul would buy GMC's it be thousands at a time. You could see 45 leave Flint on any given day.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ummm??? $8000 off of what? That would be a intersting number if they bought them from dealer. Can't imagine them being cheaper than the original purchase source. Then again, it could be a "lease purchase" deal. We all know how those go. :rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Personally I'd look at it as a good thing with the little info that has been offered up at this point. You have a major player (and yes there are several that can afford this kind of purchase) investing heavily in the industry. That to me would show a strong faith that there is still alot of money to be made in the coming yrs...

Uhhhhhhh..................

Might NOT be a good thing for the Single Truck IOO "Contractor" that signs on with CC............

If whoever this is Invested in 50 Trucks to service The Fed, he didn't make that investment WITHOUT some sort of inside deal with FEDEX themselves. No FOOL would make that kind of investment without some sort of Guarantee................

My Opinion.....and My Opinion ONLY.......it seems to me that FedEx CC may be taking the same route as they did with their "Home Delivery / Ground Services". When the Fed first started with this service years back, they were hiring Local Contractors that provided their own Trucks to cover their local deliveries. Over time, and thousands of turn-over drivers later, they went with single Investors that could provide a "Fleet" of Trucks and Drivers. It cut costs for the Fed by getting rid of several dispatch employees that were having to keep track of dozens of "Individual" drivers out there. Now a small handful of Fed Employees in each terminal just have to call 1 or 2 companies that handles the dozens / hundreds of drivers and trucks themselves.

Could this be the case with what this OP saw going down the road???
Don't Know.....Possibility.....Yes.......Who Knows. Time will tell................

twe2011

Seasoned Expediter
Good optimism Chef, I will try to take the same outlook. Makes me think to sell my truck and get a new one but I cannot afford that high note.

Brisco, that is what I was thinking...I am trying to stay optimistic but it is hard.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well, they had a deal where you lease to ES,they put in in the Fedex Fleet as an ES truck, they'll finance you,they'll sell you insurance,....

There ain't no free lunch.
I'm happy if it's ES trucks. They have plenty out there that need replacing.
If they put twenty out back to become the Prime of expediting there may be little change in the daily truck counts.
Maybe a few less re-powers and liftgate assists. LOL.

I shouldn't pick on Jason and crew. I've heard nothing but good things about him and his operation.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With the volume of freight that CC does, 50 trucks would have little impact.