3126 Cat Valve Adjustment

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know the procedure and specifications for adjusting the valves on the 3126 Cat engine. If so, would you please advise me how to do it?

Kathy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Best procedure is to go to a CAT engine dealer,next is to get a shop manual from Cat somehow.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with Rich. You should go to a CAT dealer or certified CAT mechanic. They will have to use a computer to ensure that it is done correctly.
Average cost is $250.00 to $300.00

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I always have a CAT dealer do them. I have it done every 80,000 to 100,000. Dave is right on about cost. Get it done right and she will always purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Raceman
OTR O/O

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the replies.

The problem I was trying to resolve was the injector wiring which I paid CAT in Nashville $600 to fix, it lasted exactally 1000 miles then the wire came off again. The truck was in Texas when it went out the second time so, CAT dealer in Texas wanted another $600. I just can't keep doing that. This past weekend I tore it down and put in a new harness. Needless to say I would like to tell the Nashville CAT dealer where to put the old wiring harness. The new harness cost me $250 and around 5 hours of my time. The overhead rocker assemblies had to be remove to get to the injector wiring, thus I wanted to be sure I had the valve adjustment correct when I put it back together.

My brother found the torque and valve adjustment specification for me so all is well now except for the fact that I'm really angry at CAT in Nashville for taking my money and giving me only a 1000 miles out of their work.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Man oh Man,that Kathy would make a hell of a wife. Are you spoken for LOL, just kidding

G

Any Cat work is suppose to covered for a year after they do the work. I use Ohio Engine power in Cleveland, Ohio There really good and they have flat rate pricing.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

vegasmax

Seasoned Expediter
just joined, looks like to me your question was a easy one. But, somehow looks like all the Factory Reps are here posting as well. Can someone just answer the question as asked? yes, the dealer is a easy way to keep those hands clean, but some of us do our own work. can someone give the answer as I too would see the information given.
thanks

idtrans

Expert Expediter
what year is your 3126 ? I am looking at a 99 and a 2000 3126 powered fl70 / fl60 They seem to be a ok engine not very powerful or fast but look like they can get the job done.

I know 1 thing the trucks I am looking at are priced right. the 2k fl70 with 22' box and 8' sleeper allyson auto tranny is $4.5k needs new steers and the 99 fl60 needs new rear tires and possibly a couple of bushings on front end. $5,500 ha a 16' box and a 6' sleeper.

I am giving the 2k fl70 the most serious thought because of the 22' box and the draw back is the ifta and road tax but heck I lease on with the right company they pay that and or help me take care of the headache road taxes.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
interesting that this thread is now 4 years old. just what was the reason to bring this up now?

Last edited:

idtrans

Expert Expediter
interesting that this thread is now 4 years old. just what was the reason to bring this up now?

LOL I didn't see the date on top one I just saw the post on top of list LMAO

but maybe someone can tell me to either buy the 2k fl70 or run

guido4475

Not a Member
Run away from it.$4,500 for a straight truck that is a 99 or 2000? Very few companies may put it on to begin with.Save yourself the trouble and headache and get something else more suited for the job.These trucks sound like they may be at the end of their road.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Run away from it.$4,500 for a straight truck that is a 99 or 2000? Very few companies may put it on to begin with.Save yourself the trouble and headache and get something else more suited for the job.These trucks sound like they may be at the end of their road.

True you do have a point