2010 Sprinter search begins

cspexpeditus

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and looking for advice in my quest for obtaining a Sprinter!

So far my searching has been limited to the web. I have exhausted nearly all internet resources for a M.B. I have come to the conclusion that the "real" prices are never listed online.

I have also noticed that dealers tend to have only two or three vehicles on their lot at one time. I am eager to discover if this is merely the dealer's attempt to artificially create demand--as does Toyota with the Prius--which results in sales at or above MSRP.

After reading many earlier posts regarding new purchases, many members have recommended buying left-over '08-09's. I have two reasons why I am leaning toward an 2010 instead; a) M.B. recently bumped the engine warranty up to 100k, and b) M.B. lowered the MSRP to 35k. These two factors combined with more power, cargo capacity, mpg, and SCR have me sold.

I really need to decide between the 144 or 170WB 2500. The 144's offer 500lbs+ greater capacity than the 170, but I'm worried the smaller cargo hold of the 144 will limit what I can carry.

There are some vehicles in stock at a local dealer I'm going to look at. I know they're going to offer MSRP at least, but when they do I know I'll need to counter-offer before walking out. I just don't know what to realistically offer. If they call me back, I guess I will know at that point if they are willing to negotiate and sell their vehicle.

Please feel free to state your opinions, and of course, criticism is certainly welcome. I look forward to hearing from you all and I will keep you posted in the coming days.

Breakdown of Concerns

1. 2500 144 or 170wb?

2. Continental tires?

3. Leaf spring upgradeable on 170?

4. Urea (NH2)2CO refill, where to buy besides dealer?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would depend on your need for personal space...and your sleeping plans....if you are planning to give a carrier only the 8 1/2 feet you could have a small bunk area...OR if you go with a fold down bunk you could give the carrier 10' with 2 feet for personal stuff...lots a variations....the 144 being lighter would prolly be slightly more fuel efficent than the 170.

Most of our loads tends to be of the height advantage...at 10' 3 48x40 skids loaded sideways is 10'...

even the 170 with 3 48x48's only leaves 26" left over so no room for a bunk anyways....

IMO and my personal needs for space I'd go with the 170"

with 2 skids over a weekend there'd be room for either a bunk or a fold down...

You have to give something somewhere...you can't really have it both ways...

cspexpeditus

Seasoned Expediter
You have to give something somewhere...you can't really have it both ways...

Thanks OVM, I would do well with 26" or even a hammock lol! My guess was also better mpg in crosswinds with 144." But three pallets like you said sound like $-$, a better deal. Looks like the dealers are asking 2k more for the extra 30" wheel base too.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
for the extra little bit on money after you get all your stuff in and you are sitting there looking...you'll end up saying...Darn I should have went for more room...*lol*

Its just natural....maximize your income and comfort...:D

Over a 5 year loan you'll easily make the extra 2G's back...

guido4475

Not a Member
Get the biggest van you can get.I made a permanent sleeper because I always wanted to make sure I had a place to sleep while loaded in case I needed a nap, or when freight doesnt come off when expected.But it is more cramped this way, and sometiems I wish I had used the whole van as a sleeper, as some have done, but I realized it is alot quieter the way I have done it, and staying warm and or cool is never a problem this way.I am going to buy a twin-size foam mattress and strap it to the side walls in the cargo area and throw it down on the floor when not loaded to sleep when it is not too hot of cold so I can stretch out.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As was already pointed out, "get the biggest van you can. starting out you may be fine with a small personal living area, but over time you will want more as that van will become home for longer stretches of time. For the little extra it cost and the ability to handle larger freight, the 170 is the way to go.

As for the 2010 MB. I can tell you they are all over the place and can be bought for a every good price right now...as i type this my son in law is on a plane to St Louis to pick up a 170"MB today, He had dealers from all over discounting heavily and mad a good deal...they are out their, especially for the MB dealers that have just taken the sprinter line on for the 1st time....:D:D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
there are certain options that would make the truck better. adjustable headlights are one. the extra rear leaf spring is another. heated mirrors, heated driver seat and powered is also desireable. they may have to be ordered.

a 144 van is nothing real special. even better mileage with the std roofline but then all you have is a cargo van. the space is worth it. that coming from a man and wife in a cargo van.

urea may be only a dealer item. it hink there is also a code that will need to be closed when the urea is added. flying j is advertising adblu available in their stores but will it work with the very needy/precise sprinter reqs is unknow
n.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I owned a boat the line was as soon as you put them in the water they shrink.

Get As big of sprinter as you can as soon as you go in service they shrink. You will never be sorry you went big, you will find yourself regretting it if you go small.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
FYI.

Toyota does not artificially create demand for the Prius.

The demand exceeds the production rate because fuel is markedly higher in the European and Asian markets; therefore the demand id greater in those countries.

Moreover, the production cost exceeds the selling price in the US market.

And I have sold a many them at flat invoice.

So why sell a unit that loses money?

The fleet regs for MPG's prohibits Toyota and other manufacturers from an unlimited number selling high end SUV's. Vehicles that have poor MPG ratings. And those units are ones where real profits are made. One drive through Crashville, TN will enlighten anyone as to the SUV craze in this country.

The Prius holds down the fleet MPG requirement; hence, you can now bring in more Sequoia's, Land Cruisers (Crushers), FJ's, 4 Runners, etc.

Same reason they stopped selling the wonderfully built, smoking twin turbo Supra. They needed to get their fleet MPG down to allow for vehicles that would sell better in the US market.

Buy the 170".

And when they finally make them available, let us know if you find a dealer willing to part with one at $35K. Something in a free market society about supply and demand. Why give up the farm if you have any vehicle that is in demand? I sold the first Prius units at $300 over MSRP (Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail price) and folks were happy to get one. One year later, when the supply increased, I sold quite a few at $300 over invoice. Moreover, there is still an ample supply of 2008 and 2009 Sprinters sitting on lots. Just saw 3 in Xenia, OH last week at $36,000. Why would that dealer sell, or even order, a 2010 and then sell it for $35,000?

cspexpeditus

Seasoned Expediter
Toyota does not artificially create demand for the Prius.

I don't know what Ohio territory is like, but I know here in FL there are very few if any Prius on dealer lots. The touring models are usually all that is available and it is not uncommon to see 2-4k over MSRP! I know, we have looked a few times.

Prius has been here for a decade now, and the introduction of the 2010 model-line does not substantiate the claim that production costs exceed US selling prices since the MSRP was further reduced on a car that now has a more powerful engine, longer range, higher EV mode speed (30mph), better battery, more efficient regeneration system, etc. Surely the production costs would be higher for 2010 than the '09, and yet they lowered the MSRP? I suppose if it's not Toyota dictating the price than the problem must be with the dealers that are not letting them go for under 30k.

Same reason they stopped selling the wonderfully built, smoking twin turbo Supra. They needed to get their fleet MPG down to allow for vehicles that would sell better in the US market.
That was probably the most kick-a$$ car of the 90's!!!

Buy the 170".

And when they finally make them available, let us know if you find a dealer willing to part with one at $35K. Something in a free market society about supply and demand. Why give up the farm if you have any vehicle that is in demand?

Will do. We may go look at some today, I think a local dealer has a few on their lot. There is a Miami dealer who has consistently had 4 or 5 at a time. Prices online are ranging from 40-48k followed by the words "make an offer." I'll try to offer thirty-something. That way, I figure I'll either get a negotiable offer or get laughed out of the dealership!

Thanks for sharing your advice, I really appreciate all the help I can get because this is going to a very expensive commitment.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stick with the 170" but I wouldn't buy the extended 170".

Plan on replacing the Continental Tires real soon, better yet, make it a condition of sale that it comes with Michelins.

Be very careful adding springs, the factory single rear spring is rated for more. Adding a second spring is a good idea...just be careful you don't increase the rear height of the van more than 1/2 inch, and remember you still have the same brakes and axles...don't think you are going to be able to pile on the weight.

The DEF or AdBlue urea etc, is available at most Pilots, Flying J's (cheaper) and most any truck dealer (except International). The MB dealer is about the worst place to buy it.

Whatever you do....stick to the approved oils and fluids, otherwise the ownership experience will be less than stellar.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
espex wrote:

Will do. We may go look at some today, I think a local dealer has a few on their lot. There is a Miami dealer who has consistently had 4 or 5 at a time. Prices online are ranging from 40-48k followed by the words "make an offer." I'll try to offer thirty-something. That way, I figure I'll either get a negotiable offer or get laughed out of the dealership!

there is a pretty big Mercedes dealer in miami that handles the Sprinter, they have a good selection and will discount considerably. I got a quote from them last thursday and my Son inlaw had his airline ticket to go pick it up....but when he made one more call, the dealer told him that he was paying the Van for XX,XXX, BUT there was a $500.00 Deal admin fee on top of that.....he bought in St Louis because of the "bump"....

Now i have sold cars and trucks new and used and managed a few dealerships...i have no problem with an Admin fee, but don't B/S me...give me the total price, especially when i am flying in from out of town to pay....

So make sure when you leave you have the total price and not a "low ball" and as was pointed out in another thread, if you find the unit you want, and are in need a few days to make the financial arrangement, put a deposit on it to make sure it is there when you go back, but be aware that even with a "good will deposit", you have nothing until you sign the purchase agreement.....a deposit looks good, but it isn't the be all to end all....

And as for a bunch of 08's and 09's sitting around, not so, yea a few here and there, but not too many that id forget looking at a 2010...the new motor while new has a better warranty and the mileage is improved to the point, over the life time, it just might make up any difference...and if you are leasing, the residual value might also offset and cap cost reduction that you can get on an older unit...just food for thought....

cspexpeditus

Seasoned Expediter
:...i have no problem with an Admin fee, but don't B/S me...give me the total price, especially when i am flying in from out of town to pay....

Plan on replacing the Continental Tires real soon, better yet, make it a condition of sale that it comes with Michelins.

Be very careful adding springs

The DEF or AdBlue urea etc, is available at most Pilots, Flying J's (cheaper)

Whatever you do....stick to the approved oils and fluids, otherwise the ownership experience will be less than stellar.

Thanks for the important tips. I wouldn't upgrade springs unless the dealer had the option, and I doubt a dually is worth the extra fuel costs.

Completely agree on Continentals, they are high-rated tires with laughable tread wear. We went through 6 tires in 38k on our SUV. Now running average rated Pirelli ATR and looking dryrotted after only 14k. Still have the original Continental spare underneath with no dryrot. Guess there is a trade-off to everything.

I would certainly be religious with the maint schedule. I have read many blogs from owners in the UK so I have a respectable understanding of that commitment.

As far as my expectations of breaking in to the business as an o/o or otherwise, I am fully prepared to set aside my earnings entirely to cover my overhead, especially the unforeseen. I have read nearly everything I can on the board, and from what I have learned so far, I understand a lack of emergency fund is probably the quickest way to end any otr opportunity. If my truck was out of service, I'll probably suffer but I know I'd still be able to cover my finances.

I'm not starting with the truck first, just looking right now, getting an idea of the real costs etc. I don't want to lease someone else's equipment. But then again, from a 'driver's' perspective I'm not seeing much upside to the added expenses of obtaining my own authority either. I just want to drive, simple as that. The college thing was enlightening but I don't want to be in a stationary box every day, I want to be in a box rolling on four wheels, instead.

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the important tips. I wouldn't upgrade springs unless the dealer had the option, and I doubt a dually is worth the extra fuel costs.
Be careful with the dually. I don't know for sure on 2010s, but on earlier models there was not enough room for a skid to pass between the wheel wells, making it worthless for expediting, unless you built up the floor above the wells.
So, stick with a 2500.