2008 STERLING Acterra

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
We are thinking about buying one of these... Are they good trucks? Can anyone give us any insight on these trucks?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are going to run team you only want a class 8 truck. No class 7 is going to give the service life a team needs. You'll spend 10-15% more for a class 8 truck and get 100-200% longer service life. The Acterra is a good truck but it's a class 7 and just isn't meant for team expedite miles.

moose

Veteran Expediter
cation , the Starling Plants are going to close their gates soon.
do you really want to invests in a truck that is going to be a thing of the past soon ???

this is the high-end class 7 truck ,widely used for expedite.
dont know about fuel millage tho'w .

This truck normally go for "about" 10K more then its competition .
you will spand more money to buy more truck.
there for by spending just a bit more , like mention above, you might be bather off buying into a class 8.
Got2Go...

Moose

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the replies... so what exactly is a class 8?

Not to be harsh, but with that kind of question, are you sure you should be buying a truck at all? Not the time to jump in if you don't have a full assessment of what you are getting into.
I would advise some major reading through these forums.

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
Not to be harsh, but with that kind of question, are you sure you should be buying a truck at all? Not the time to jump in if you don't have a full assessment of what you are getting into.
I would advise some major reading through these forums.

That was essentially the purpose of the question. To gain the knowledge that I need before setting off to buy a truck. See I will search for my questions as needed.. however simply asking direct questions seems to work out better. As for if I should buy a truck or not... let me worry about that..

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Isn't Sterling owned by Freight Liner, who is owned by Daimler Benz and to start with they just took over (purchased) the old Ford Plants, took the Blue oval out of the Grill and inserted the Sterling name. So it would seem Daimler Benz would honor any warranties.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That was essentially the purpose of the question. To gain the knowledge that I need before setting off to buy a truck. See I will search for my questions as needed.. however simply asking direct questions seems to work out better. As for if I should buy a truck or not... let me worry about that..

Well sometimes yes and sometimes no. You will find that most, but not all questions have been asked several times and several ways, and by looking in the archives you will get a more rounded view of the question, which can only help your research.

As to the rest of your response, when some of the members see the type of questions that are asked it is only natural to guesstimate the amount of experience that the person has. This along with your "join date" it would lead some to think that you might be rather new to the industry. Dave was probably just wanting to have you use caution when considering the purchase of a truck. I'm sure you know your own personal position better than anyone else, but you will get better responses from those that have a vast amount of knowledge if you don't tell them to mind their own business.

Just an opinion.

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
Isn't Sterling owned by Freight Liner, who is owned by Daimler Benz and to start with they just took over (purchased) the old Ford Plants, took the Blue oval out of the Grill and inserted the Sterling name. So it would seem Daimler Benz would honor any warranties.

You know I was actually thinking the same thing... we truthfully are toying with the notion of just getting some International Lonestars and converting them to Expedite trucks.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a class 7 truck which is what we could afford getting into this business. Next truck will be a class 8 and we will keep that truck a lot longer than this one. Our Class 7 M2 has been a good truck but we spend a lot of money doing preventive maintenance to get the life out of the truck that we needed.

If you can the Class 8 aerodynamic truck is the way to go for teams.

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
Well sometimes yes and sometimes no. You will find that most, but not all questions have been asked several times and several ways, and by looking in the archives you will get a more rounded view of the question, which can only help your research.

As to the rest of your response, when some of the members see the type of questions that are asked it is only natural to guesstimate the amount of experience that the person has. This along with your "join date" it would lead some to think that you might be rather new to the industry. Dave was probably just wanting to have you use caution when considering the purchase of a truck. I'm sure you know your own personal position better than anyone else, but you will get better responses from those that have a vast amount of knowledge if you don't tell them to mind their own business.

Just an opinion.

I agree totally.. I was not offended at all and did not mean to appear offended. My wife and I have been in the business now for going on a couple of years but just recently joined the site after our experience at the 2008 expedite show in OH.

Believe when I say we are about to venture out on our ow and we just want to make sure dot our I's and cross out T's before we jump out there. Driving for a fleet owner, there were just some things we simply did not need to know.. feel me?

Any and all input at this stage is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

moose

Veteran Expediter
team s.....
just trying to help here ...
moving from Fayetteville (A.R ? )
to A.Z
at this time of your opening a new Biz.

how often do you hope to get home doing this job ?

Moose.

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
team s.....
just trying to help here ...
moving from Fayetteville (A.R ? )
to A.Z
at this time of your opening a new Biz.

how often do you hope to get home doing this job ?

Moose.

Fayetteville, NC..But this is simply our mailing address.. We technically don't have a physical home.. We live in our truck. But we plad to make AZ our home when the time is right. As far as how much we hope to get home... We are going to continue to drive for our fleet owner as well and have a team drive our new truck. We are on the lease purchase so we are buying our truck. They put us in a brand new, 2008 century so the way we see it, we are the only ones to have driven it, we just turned 110K on the miles, we take care of it like its our, so we might as well buy it. So we know home time for us is not really an option. There is no money at home.

moose

Veteran Expediter
and have a team drive our new truck. .

Finding the right team might be the biggest challenge you will have to overcome.

it took you 110K to kind of figure up the business , what if it will take that team 50K ?
the ATA numbers show that about 90% of new fleets are not in business 2 years after buying that 2nd truck.
do you have the necessary reserve founds to stay in business for the next 2 years ?
ask yourself this , is this the right time for me to expand ?
or may bee to continue doing what i am doing well ?

at any case , the end of the year is not the right time to invests in new equipment , taxes wise . and business wise. consult your accounted for more details .
and keep asking question.

Moose.

TeamSamuels

Seasoned Expediter
Finding the right team might be the biggest challenge you will have to overcome.

it took you 110K to kind of figure up the business , what if it will take that team 50K ?
the ATA numbers show that about 90% of new fleets are not in business 2 years after buying that 2nd truck.
do you have the necessary reserve founds to stay in business for the next 2 years ?
ask yourself this , is this the right time for me to expand ?
or may bee to continue doing what i am doing well ?

at any case , the end of the year is not the right time to invests in new equipment , taxes wise . and business wise. consult your accounted for more details .
and keep asking question.

Moose.

Ahhh... Teams... Lucky for us, we have not had to find a team.. they found us! Frankly, where we come from, we know many people that wish to simply escape. An escape that we have taken. So many people where we are from tend to stay inside the box. But since we've stepped outside the box, life has been grand. And these people see how life has changed for us. And they want to step out of the box as well. And these are people like myself and my wife. People whom like us, have no children, they don't have rent or house notes, they don't have car notes or insurance. They may have very small bills but nothing major. They are also either under employed or unemployed and simply want and need a change in life. Good folks that have nothing each other.

These are also people whom we know will work, stay on the road, stay in service, won't turn down loads, see this country and get paid to do it as we do. So like us, most all the money they make, they will be able to save.
We are going to be the escape they need!
We already have 3 teams ready to hit the road today.. but no trucks....lol We also have my sister and her husband that will be retiring from the military this spring. Both went in after HS and did 20 so she will be 37 and he will be 38 when they retire. And after seeing all the pictures and videos and just hearing how much fun we are having, they all can't wait to get out here on the road. Even in slow periods, Uncle Sam have their back. House paid for, no kids, cars paid for..
I guess my point is as far as teams, we are good. We have folks that slow periods won't hurt. And best believe we have told them the good, the bad, and the ugly and being in this business and just as we were told the same thing.. wanting that escape, we said we'd deal with it... and they all said the same!

We are also WELL equipped to cope with slow periods.;) I can't say for certain we have reserves for 2 years, but we have more than enough to stay a float at least a year should we start to sink. But personally I don't see that happening.

Oh.. we don't plan on purchasing our next truck until late spring..

Hey Moose, I truly appreciate the insight! Knowledge is power my friend!