2007 UD 1800hd VNT p0045 turbo and actuator replaces waiting to see result

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
the truck drives for a few miles when you turn it off and on and the engine code pops up once your hitting the pedal harder going into higher rpms

I saw the code was a VNT code p0045 and the turbo with actuator is being swapped finally after finding the right place that had a brand new one in stock in Oakland, CA because the cheaper reman sellers on eBay were unresponsive and not helpful when I tried to get next day shipping. Anyone see the same VNT message on this JO8E -TE engine and been able to fix without replacing the turbo and actuator?
Turbo labels - in order from top of stamp to bottom

actuator -

738265-0027
1898768-A
6xc Jedico 6xc

Turbo -

Honeywell Japan
Gt4082klnu
766758-2
Jj 01016j
17201-e. 014

Attachments

• A2E45037-93BE-4928-BE29-E2803BCBAC34.jpeg
    A2E45037-93BE-4928-BE29-E2803BCBAC34.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 11

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you god I was able to replace the turbo and get the hell out of town, it was the actuator arm between the turbo stuck and wouldn’t move - so anyone that owns a Hino or UD with a p0045 code u need to check the arm between the turbo and actuator that arm gets stuck. You can just replace the actuator or the electronic part because of calibration issues in the USA and probably unless u have a UD mechanic nearby with all the special turbo calibration tools that can read Japanese or maybe Russian u are screwed. Buy a turbo ahead of time once u reach 120k miles sometimes they can last a lot longer but if you order it from garret or online in China they are half the price or less of costs in the USA. I paid about $2800 total to fix this one.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Just for the record, I have heard only one person having any sort of luck with just replacing an actuator. I cant really make out what you did to fix the P0045. Did you buy a complete Chinese turbo, an OEM turbo or an aftermarket actuator. Thanks

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just for the record, I have heard only one person having any sort of luck with just replacing an actuator. I cant really make out what you did to fix the P0045. Did you buy a complete Chinese turbo, an OEM turbo or an aftermarket actuator. Thanks

I bought a brand new garret turbo in California for 2500$ plus tax etc..

Now I have driven this truck all winter here and put about 20,000 miles on it. I just recently parked the truck and replaced all my hydraulic lines and guess what, my battery was dead so I replaced that - started the truck and I’m getting this awful p0045 code again. I just used some turbo cleaner without taking it off and that didn’t work.. so now I’m going to take the turbo off the truck and clean the veins on the exhaust side Mainly and the rest of it and hopefully put it back on and clear the code. I’ll update here again once I clean the turbo and let you know if it worked. I’m gonna be very upset if I have to replace the turbo again, and at that point I’ll sell it on auction.

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
By the way I had to buy the FCAR 506 scanner on eBay just to figure out what the code was. It did read it but under UD > then Medium > then HINO

it won’t read any codes with the UD settings, and under Hino the amount it can do is minimal compared to other vehicles

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far I was able to take the actuator part off the turbo as well check the guns and it looks fine, actually looks perfect.. not sure where the problem is yet

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Are you able to command the VNT to different positions with your scanner?
Before condemning anything, I'd make sure you have good power and ground to it, and normal CAN voltages.

Reactions: MNROADSIDE

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
. I cleaned the turbo and was able the grease the actuator and get it working. My truck runs great now just put it all back together.
So
In the future here’s what you can do on the UD limo problem, first thing is have someone turn your key to the 2nd position and see if the actuator is moving - if not then use WD40 and a long screwdriver and mallet to break the arm free. If that doesn’t work then you can take the turbo apart on the exhaust side - and clean it. Otherwise you should check the electrical parts on the actuator because those can be fried in rare occasions

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
By the way the first time I posted - I bought the truck and found that the actuator electronics were Fried ! That’s why the first time p0045 was a nightmare, because I had to replace the whole turbo.. but I think now what I’m finding is the new actuator was fine and I belive the guy who had it before me must have been screwing around with the turbo and fried it. This turbo should outlast the life of the engine, with regular oil changes, proper coolant level, and make sure to grease the actuator arm. The exhaust pipe should be cleaned imo if it’s constantly doing this code. I cleaned the whole pipe and turbo. I used a long duster tool and a shop vac and there was a lot of nasty gunk in there