2007 Sprinter

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
As a result of my local dealer overfilling my crankcase on my 2007 Sprinter two out of the last four oil changes I am at the point since I have crawl under the van to let some oil out. I am going to skip the aggravation and just change it myself. I have checked the threads and come up empty. So does anyone know how to set the oil change maintenance reminder on the dash back? It is a 2007 Sprinter without the the controls on the steering wheel. Also other then the dealership at 20% off bringing it down to $9.44/liter, where can one purchase at a resonable price Mobil 1 ESP Synthetic 5-30W in the liter bottles (12 1/2 per change)? I wish it was the same spec as the 2006 Sprinter's and before (0-40W Euopean), that oil is readily available, still not cheap, but reasonable. Any help would be appreciated, and thank-you in advance.

Brownie 4042

bill98

Seasoned Expediter
ther is no way to do it the book is wrong had oil change at non sprinter center once had to latter take it to a center to do it it has to be done pluged into there computer

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, you can't manually reset the computer like you can on the older Sprinters. Have to take it to a dealer to have them reset it. There should be NO CHARGE for them doing this.

As for the oil, try Europarts of San Diego
They're on vacation until Sep 4th, but last time I looked they had the 07/08 oil $7.63 a quart ($6.38 a quart (liter) when bought in 5 liter jugs). It's not Mobile brand, it's Total (very popular brand in Europe), but it's on the list, which is the main thing. It meets 229.51 specs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, you can't manually reset the computer like you can on the older Sprinters. Have to take it to a dealer to have them reset it. There should be NO CHARGE for them doing this.

As for the oil, try Europarts of San Diego
They're on vacation until Sep 4th, but last time I looked they had the 07/08 oil $7.63 a quart ($6.38 a quart (liter) when bought in 5 liter jugs). It's not Mobile brand, it's Total (very popular brand in Europe), but it's on the list, which is the main thing. It meets 229.51 specs.

Why reset the computer? I don't reset my 05...just let it rollover

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, if you don't use the Maintenance ASSYST computer to assist you with maintenance schedules and oil quality measurements for oil changes, there's really no need to reset it.

As for Autozone having good prices on oil, yeah, I've been getting Mobile 1 0W-40 there for a while now. But as far as I know, the new oil for the 07 and 08 Sprinters can't be found at Autozone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I, like you use a log book to track mileage and repair schedule...

Some Walmarts also carry Mobile1 0-40w even cheaper then Auto-Zone bout .50 a quart cheaper.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The next time you see any actual Mobile 1 0W-40 in a Wal Mart, please let me know where that Wal Mart is. I keep reading where Wal Mart carries it, but I have yet to find it on the shelves. They have the little bar code sticker thingy on the fronts of the shelves all ready and waiting, but never any oil there.

At Autozone, they have a loyalty card that gives you a $20 credit every time you have 5 purchaces of $20 or more within a 6 month period. A single purchase of $100 is still only one $20 purchase. But, what I do is, every now and then, when I pass an Autozone, I'll go in and buy 4 quarts of oil. It's like $6.49 a quart, and 3 of them is only $19.47, so no credit for a $20 purchase. Four of them is $25.94, so that qualifies. Sometimes I'll buy 3 of them and then get something that's $1 or something, to get above the $20 threshold. About every 5th purchase they will apply the $20 credit right then and there to whatever I'm buying at the time, usually more oil.

Here's the thing. If I always buy 4 quarts at a time, that's $25.94 for each purchase, and when I do that 5 times, that's 20 quarts for a total of $129.70. I take off my free $20, and that makes it $109.70 for 20 quarts of oil, or $5.49 a quart.

If I need a replacement headlamp, I won't buy one for $10 if I can two for $20, that's a $20 purchase. (although, I use the Silverstar Ultra's that are more than $20 a pair). In other words, every time I buy something at AutoZone, I try to make it at least a $20 purchase, even if it means something I don't need at the moment, but eventually will. And if I'm buying a bunch of stuff that's well over $20, I'll break it up into multiple purchases to try and keep each purchase as close to $20 a pop as I can. I need to go by there and get some windshield washer fluid, so when I go I'll probably also get a windshield wiper or two, or something else that I know I'm gonna need, to make it a $20 purchase. I won't buy something that I don't, or won't, need, tho, just to make it $20. That defeats the purpose, even though AutoZone would be fine with that.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Look for oils having the spec listed for MB. Even Amsoil has one for the new Sprinter. Shop around for the oil. I just go by mileage for my changes. Oil weight (5w-40 or 5w-30) is not overly important as I've changed mine a couple of times and even tried 15w-40 dino oil. Found it thickened up too much for my liking so back to synthetic.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look for oils having the spec listed for MB. Even Amsoil has one for the new Sprinter. Shop around for the oil. I just go by mileage for my changes. Oil weight (5w-40 or 5w-30) is not overly important as I've changed mine a couple of times and even tried 15w-40 dino oil. Found it thickened up too much for my liking so back to synthetic.
Rob

Rob...Be very careful playing with your oil...it's not a place to cut costs in these vans.

Turtle..I do the same thing...but never windshield fluid..too expensive..I buy the Prestone Bug remover...works pretty good and takes less then the no-name brand...and thats in Wal-Mart....
Been having problems finding the oil as well...either don't carry it or sold out...I think theres 2 Jeep models and the Crossfire use 0-40w as well....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got a couple of applications of the Aquapel that I'm gonna put on here. I've seen it work and it really is better than RainX (plus, it lasts from 6 months to a year between applications, and it doesn't leave that white film on the glass), and it should reduce the amount of washer fluid I use.

Rob, on the oil, I concur with OVM. The oil in a European engine is not the same as oil in a traditional North American engine, so be very, very careful playing with the oil insofar as changing brands, types and viscocities. With most vehicles, and with European engines in particular, it's best to pick an oil (obviously, making sure it's on the MB List) and then use that brand and weight pretty much forever. An engine wears differently with different weights and brands of oil. Last thing you want to do is have it wear in a certain way with one oil, then feed it a different oil causing it to wear differently.

"Oil weight (5w-40 or 5w-30) is not overly important as I've changed mine a couple of times and even tried 15w-40 dino oil."

That's a statement that makes perfect sense to any North American, but any European who knows about their oil would cringe if they heard that. With Euro oil, unlike American engineered oils, among many other things they are tightly spec'd for something called "shear factor" and it's that "shear factor" that is the primary reason for European formula oils being so much more expensive than other oils. Oil shear is how well it resists having its viscocity change versus engine protection as the oil ages and breaks down. Shell Rotella T dino oil is a 15W-40 oil, and it's on The List (for 06 and earlier models) and there's nothing wrong with it. It was even the initial fill for many 04's and some 05's.

But Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is hardly the same as some other brand of 15W-40. The weights are the same, but the shear factor is different. In fact, oils engineered specifically for the North American market usually don't even use sheer factor as a factor in the engineering. Dino or synthetic, as long as it's on The List, it'll have the proper shear factor, so even if it looks like it's too thick, it won't be. The proper viscosity will be maintained, as long as it's not too long between oil changes, of course.

As for going by mileage to determine the oil changes, that's fine, but everyone should also keep in mind the fact that in between oil changes, the most engine wear that occurs happens within the first 3000 miles after the oil has been changed. That's obviously the reason why it's not very smart to change the oil every 3000 miles (that was true 30 years ago, but not today, not with the new detergent oils), but it's also the reason you want to use the same oil every time. It's gonna wear with each oil change, and if you put the same oil back in there the engine will wear the same way, and much less, than if you use a different brand, type or viscosity of oil.

I use the ASSYST (which has been several times confirmed and corroborated with oil analysis), and I change the oil filter every 5000-7500 miles, adding fresh oil as needed with the filter change. I average about 17,000 mile between changes, usually getting anywhere from 15,000 to 18,000. Once it was 13,700, and once it was 19,600 miles. Mostly it depends on weather and how much I've been idling. But any time the ASSYST tells me to change the oil after really low mileage, or really high mileage, I'll send a sample fo Blackstone just to make sure. So far, the ASSYST has been dead on.

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
First off, I want to thank everyone for the positve and informative responces. After a ton of research I have even with the exact instructions from the Dodge tried the manual "punched in" reset, and it did not work. It must be reset by the scanner at the dealer, or anyone who has a scanner and know how to use it which I will not pay for. Like it was mentioned in the responses, no big deal I will strickly go be maintenance log.

Secondly, as far as the oil goes, if you are going synthetic (which I think is the only way that is recommended) 2006 and earlier the correct spec of 229.5 0W-40 which is readily available at about $6.50 normal street price, and if you look hard for bargins it can be netted down to about $5.50. The 2007 and 2008's Sprinters needs a spec. of 229.31. or 229.51 5W-30 Mobil 1 ESP Formula, something to with all the new diesel emission controls. I read a ton on both the US and Euro chat rooms about how if you use the older spec. the oil will sometimes casue problems withe oil filter getting clogged earlier than normal. The Sprinter owners's manual even states you should only put no more than 1gt of 229.5 in an emergency situation only. The best I was able to do was $9.44/liter, or $113.28/case of 12 liters with my business link membership with Dodge allowing for a 20% discount. I am still looking for other retail outlets cheaper. My feeling is the van has about 90 k on it, and neither burned leaked, or had any oil related problems, so although I do not like the price I am sticking with the MOBIL 1 Euro synthetic. The only oil problem was the dealer sometimes could not figure out how to add exactly 12.5 liters (I quess leaving that 1/2 liter out of the crankcase bothered some of the tech's changing the oil), which I was able to figure without too much difficulty.

Brownie 4042

Jeff35

Seasoned Expediter
can any one tell me where they are getting there filters at (for 2007 v6 diesel at ) seem to be a hard thing to find

thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can you educate me on this statement Turtle?

If I can. There's a really in-depth report out there somewhere on a very well done study that was done by a group of automobile manufacturers (8 or 10 were involved, US and Europe and Japan) and oil manufacturers (4 or 5, IIRC). I can't find it at the moment. I should have saved it, but it's out there, somewhere, and I can't find it anywhere. It would certainly do a much better job at explaining the results than I can. It dealt primarily with synthetic oils and what happens to an engine at various mileages of oil drain intervals. Dozens, or maybe it was hundreds, of cars and light trucks were involved in the testing, and several big truck engines were in on it, too. It was very detailed, long, and the testing took place over a few years.

One of the surprising things (to the researches and to me) was that (other than at startup, of course) the vast majority of engine wear would occur during the first 3000 miles after an oil change. The engine would wear very quickly at first, then quickly taper off to almost no wear at 3000 to 5000 miles, then it would gradually rise on the wear chart along with the mileage. They measured the wear by oil analysis and by tearing engines apart and putting them back together.

As the oil got dirty, with soot dispersion and other things, wear would increase, obviously. They showed that changing the filter-only at regular intervals, and topping off with fresh oil as needed, dramatically reduced the dirty oil wear.

Again, this was mainly a study about long change intervals and synthetics, but regular dino oil was a part of it, too. It's just that as the miles went up and the wear increased, the engines with dino oil had more wear than the synthetics, which should come as no surprise, since the VI additives in dino oil wear out rather quickly. But the VI (Viscosity Improvers) don't wear out quickly enough to justify 3000 mile oil changes.

But basically, when you change the oil, many people notice a power boost with the new oil. It's about 5% across the board, actually. What happens is, the engine, after just being services, will rev more freely and is a little more high strung, Makes perfect sense, and considering it's been freshly filled with clean oil, that's what one would think would happen. But, the clean oil doesn't necessarily mean that it's better lubricated. More accurately, it's lubricated differently than it was with the old dirty oil. The increase in power will increase engine wear right along with it. This all happens within the first 3000 miles and at that point the oil begins to get a little dirty, fills in the wear spots a little better, and engine wear decreases as things get back to normal again.

Of course, as time and miles go by and the oil continues to get dirty with dispersed soot and other contaminants, wear will continue, but it lessens over time as the engine and oil finally settle into a compromise with each other. Basically, engine wear starts immediately, with the majority of it happening at about 800 miles, then gradually decreases in the wear rate over the life of the engine.

Using different brands, types and viscosities of oil at each oil change will increase the wear because each oil will lubricate and shear slightly differently, even oils with the same specs. New oil wears differently enough as it is from the oil that was just removed. No point in introducing yet another set of variables into the mix.

The bottom line was that before there were multigrade detergent oils, changing the oil at 3000 miles really was the best thing to do. The engine wear during the first 3000 miles was nothing compared to what happened when non-multigrade and non-detergent oils were left in the engine beyond 3000 miles or so. But that was 30, 40 years ago. These days, when you change the oil every 3000 miles, you end up causing the engine to wear more than if you go longer between changes. And those who play around with different brands and viscosities of oil merely accelerate the wear.

All things being equal, a thinner oil is far better than a thick one, and a synthetic oil at room temperature will be thinner (more viscous) than a dino oil of the same weight numbers (they're not even weight numbers, so I have no idea why I keep calling them that). They all are designed to have the same viscosity at operating temperatures, anyway. The biggest difference in the weight numbers (0W-40, 15W-30) is how thick the oil is when the engine is shut off, or, when the engine is cold started.

There are as yet no standards in North America for shear stability of oils, but there are in Europe. Engine oils are designed with specific shear properties for European engines. Some people in the Americas are beginning to take note of things like shear stability and shear factors, largely because there are more and more European engines over here that have had the oils spec'd for it. Performance engines, hot engines and turbo charged engines all need a high shear oil.

When oil flows through and pass the oil pump, cam shaft area, piston rings, and any other areas where two mating surface areas can squeeze the oil out momentarily, that's oil shear. When the oil is sheared out, the only thing left to protect things is the barrier film of oil that is put down by the VI additives. Viscosity Improvers are basically really large molecules that control viscosity. At high temperatures and high pressures, as with the mating surfaces inside an engine, these large molecules are sliced off, sheared off, thus reducing the viscosity of the oil over time. With synthetic oil, Viscosity Improvers aren't necessary, as the synthetic oil molecules are designed from the beginning to make it unnecessary.

Viscosity Improvers do two things, one is they improve the flow of oil at starting temperatures, and the other is they will add that barrier film to mating parts to protect them. The biggest problem with this is that it doesn't necessarily do both things at the same time really well. It's ironic that when your oil gets old and begins to lose some of its viscosity it actually increases protection in some areas by being better able to lay down a barrier film. New oil can't do that very well. It's too thick, literally. Some of those large molecules get sheared off and take the barrier film right along with it.

Somewhere between 1000 and 3000 miles after an oil change, the barrier film becomes more stable and increases protection. But until that happens during those first 3000 miles, with the engine feeling kicked up a notch and putting out more power after receiving new oil, engine wear is taking place at a higher rate than happens beyond 3000 miles.

Assuming you want to go longer between oil changes for a plethora of reasons, what you're after, and what works the best in the long run as well as during those first 3000 miles after an oil change, is a good oil that is relatively thin at cold starting temperatures so it gets to the moving parts quickly, doesn't break down the VI and other additives quickly when at operating temperatures so that it will last longer, and that has a good HTHS (high-temperature high-shear) stability. Further, you can change the oil filter and top off with fresh oil on a routine basis to keep the oil cleaner between oil changes. A bypass filter does this, too.

Pick an oil and keep on using it without changing brands, types and viscosities. Pick an oil the manufacturer recommends. The mindset of "You can't change your oil too often," is not a good one to have. Change it per the manufacturer's instructions, or when oil analysis tells you it's time. Keep it clean with regular filter changes or a bypass filter.

Most of this applies to cars, light trucks and vans. Some applies to heavy trucks, but not all of it. If you use a synthetic in your big truck, then more of this applies to you. With heavy trucks, some of the traditional methods like Lucas is a good thing. But even the big engines are changing rapidly, so some of the "tried and true" might no longer work on them, either. Every last little bit of this applies to a Sprinter, though, that's for sure.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper types.......Thanks Turtle. Pipers brain.........ouch that hurt to read!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ken,

copy, open word doc, paste to word, save, open new folder, name, save.(or something along that line)

have at it.