2007 Sprinter van

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking at getting a 2007 Dodge Sprinter van with the sleeper. Does anyone know around how much cargo weight this vehicle can haul?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can't tell you exactly but I think it will safely haul 2300 lbs but I can suggest that you do the following;

Take the GVW off the sticker on the door pillar.

load all your stuff on the va and take it to the nearest CAT scale, fill it up and weigh it with you and your stuff.

Subtract the weight you get from the scale and take that number and subtract 50 lbs - this should give you the right number.

Everyone has a different weight that they can haul because of the amount and type of equipment they have on board.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, for the input. I took it to the CAT scales and it showed it was 7100 lb. that's with a full tank of fuel and just me(200 lb.) in it. It's a little hard to beleive it weighes that much. Thought maybe somebody else might have the sprinter van with sleeper to help me compare, only thing no other scales aroud to compare.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
yell sounds on the heavy side to me too. hate to buy it and the scale are right, won't be able to haul nothing after I put my stuff in it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
oh wait..you have a 2007..mine is an 05 you just might be 7000lbs.

We're a team and I am at least 300lbs plus the wife(no weight National Security)and all our stuff=6300lbs

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
OntarioVanMan does your have a sleeper with frig,microwave and tv. I'm looking at the one already in it.
Yes CAT suppose to guarantee but don't know when the last time they might of cal. this one, because if they made a sprinter that heavy it wouldn't haul mush with a GVWR of 8550 lb.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Find out the weight of the van originally and find out who made the sleeper conversion and call them to ask what it weighs. They should be able to tell you pretty accurately what they added. Then calculate from there. I suspect it's fairly accurate though. For 60" worth of bed, cabinets, electronics etc. that would add up.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
not to change the subject, but I drove a class 8 for the past 18 years thought I down size and try expedited but whats the average weight for a B and C unit?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
8550 - 7100 = not a lot of weight you can carry... maybe the new sprinters are not that terrific after all?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
comet_4298 - I suspect your Sprinter weights are pretty accurate.

A couple of months ago I posted a comment about the 2007 Sprinter weights that I thought was pretty interesting. I saw two different high top extended 2007 Sprinters and each had factory stickers on the rear of the drivers door frame. The stickers said that "the maximum capacity of occupants and cargo is (less than 2800 lbs) One of these van owners told me his last scaled empty weight was a tad bit over 7200"

The GVWR on these 2007 vans is 8660, so your typical sleeper equipped Sprinter will not be able to safely handle a 2000 pound B load. I would imagine that the 2008 models of the largest Sprinter will have comparable weight ratings.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats one heavy empty van...wonder what the sleeper contributes to the total? I know particle board is heavier then real wood.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"whats the average weight for a B and C unit?"

Sorry comet I should have answered this.

I had a GMC diesel, with all of the stuff in it and my fat butt, I would tip the scales right at 7000 lbs.

My fl-70 weighs in at 22,000 lbs with all my stuff (must be all those books I have) and has a GVW of 32,000 lbs.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Greg for come back....what kind of cargo weight do you average with your GMC? I like the sprinter with sleeper but would like to be able to haul enough to make the van payment....seems everybody has a freeze on cargo vans but would take on a high cube sprinter van.