2006 ud with hino jo8e check engine

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2006 Nissan ud 2000 with the hino jo8e 7.7, 165,000 Miles. I initially had a random check engine light, but turning off key and restart would correct it, but now it’s on continuously and the truck will not rev past 1900 rpm. All local repair shops encouge me to take it to the dealer. Closest dealer is over an hour away. I bought a iCarsoft hd scanner in an attempt to read the codes, but it will not scan the truck. Does anyone know what diagnostic protocol this truck uses? I have seen several scanners that indicate that they are compatible with my truck, but with the number of big truck dealers (hino dealer told me they weren’t sure if they could scan) telling me they can’t scan it, I am
hesitant to try another without knowing for sure that it will work. Also any ideas on the check engine light would be appreciated. Thanks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I know that Hino software will not read it. No cheap diagnostic scanners will either, to the best of my knowledge. A UD dealer is your best bet.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
The closest UD dealer is over 100 miles away. I could limp it there, but it will only go 40-50 mph. My reason for trying to find a scan tool to purchase is more for future needs (and this time). I’m just thinking of a future scenario when it may or may not be able to limp there.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the Chinese website they have the scanner for Hinos. I’m not sure about UD. I took my Hino to M&K one time in Knoxville, did you call them for the UD?

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the Chinese website they have the scanner for Hinos. I’m not sure about UD. I took my Hino to M&K one time in Knoxville, did you call them for the UD?

I called them. They initially said they could scan it, but the guy on the phone asked someone else since it was a ud. Then he said no. Apparently even though it’s a hino engine, it uses the Nissan ud ecm.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got nothing else. Sorry. You can always leave at 3am to take your time and get to the UD dealer. Plus there is less traffic.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got nothing else. Sorry. You can always leave at 3am to take your time and get to the UD dealer. Plus there is less traffic.

Yeah, that’s true. It may come to that if I don’t figure it out soon. I’m sure I’ve made a more than a few people quite upset following me while going up a hill.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks to everyone for the help thus far. I have not ordered any diagnostic tools yet, but instead I decided to investigate a common issue I have read about from many previous posts on here. The turbo and vnt controller. I pulled off the back cover on the controller and indeed it is fried. I have read the posts about mostly failed attempts to replace only the controller due to the lack of ability to recalibrate the turbo. I briefly looked at a few “refurbished” controllers on eBay. I asked about the “refurbishing” process and it was pretty much testing for function and a coat of fresh paint. So it looks like I will be getting a new turbo/controller. My truck is a UD and according to their parts website a new turbo is around $2200. I saw somewhere on here that someone in a similar situation was checking to see if a turbo directly from hino would work. The number stamped on the turbo is...

GT4082KLNV
766758-2

When I search those part numbers I see some with pigtails on the vnt controller and some without. Mine has a pigtail.

I know the UD part number is probably more expensive so I was just trying to investigate my options first.

Thanks.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
A hino-sourced turbo should be identical.

I called my local hino dealer this morning. They weren’t able to cross reference any of the part numbers from the turbo. He told me that he needed a hino vin to look anything up and since my truck was a UD he referred me back to the nearest UD dealer.

I found a good deal on a new turbo/actuator and install kit from tri-state turbocharger. I ordered and should have it in a few days.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That’s where I got my Hino turbo from.( the guy from NJ ) 2 years now, no problems. No core either. If your vnt is good. Get someone to rebuild your turbo. My vnt was good, the blade inside the turbo was loose and some unnecessary noise it was making.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
That’s where I got my Hino turbo from.( the guy from NJ ) 2 years now, no problems. No core either. If your vnt is good. Get someone to rebuild your turbo. My vnt was good, the blade inside the turbo was loose and some unnecessary noise it was making.

My vnt controller/actuator is bad. I believe the turbo itself is ok. I was unaware of the need to maintain the linkage on the turbo and I’m pretty sure the guy I bought the truck from never knew either. Sean at tri-state turbos was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Bsmith8464

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my new turbo installed today. Everything went well. No broken bolts! My check engine light is out and the truck runs great. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: Hino123

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I would say the next time you are out by the dealer to stop and have it scaned to see if anything else pops up. That way you know what's new or old if you have another problem.

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is exact thing I’m going through now with my 2007 ud 1800hd and we did use a scanner that had lots of ud but for bigger ud and the Jo8e engine was listed under Hino 268 and it read the codes

MNROADSIDE

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2006 Nissan ud 2000 with the hino jo8e 7.7, 165,000 Miles. I initially had a random check engine light, but turning off key and restart would correct it, but now it’s on continuously and the truck will not rev past 1900 rpm. All local repair shops encouge me to take it to the dealer. Closest dealer is over an hour away. I bought a iCarsoft hd scanner in an attempt to read the codes, but it will not scan the truck. Does anyone know what diagnostic protocol this truck uses? I have seen several scanners that indicate that they are compatible with my truck, but with the number of big truck dealers (hino dealer told me they weren’t sure if they could scan) telling me they can’t scan it, I am
hesitant to try another without knowing for sure that it will work. Also any ideas on the check engine light would be appreciated. Thanks.
By the way the FCAR 506 scanner is 230$ on eBay and it will read UD codes but for my 1800hd (2006 - I had to go under UD then medium and then Hino in the scanner menu and it connected to the computer and reads the codes.