2005 Sprinter second and reverse only

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks - I was skeptical until I saw the price...its not worth the time/learning curve/special tools bought to save on the labor portion of 2200...that's cheap!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A new transmission from a dealer will cost you anywhere from $4500 to $6500, depending on their mood. The Silverstars are high end rebuilds that fix a lot of the problems that cause premature failures in the first place.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I had a shop out in okc do the swap on the old sprinter so it was not to bad on the down time....
Trans $2200
Shop $660
Hotel for 2 nights and car rental $300

Reactions: Turtle

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is turning into a saga. All I was able to accomplish today was fixing my current ride and piling the new parts into the sprinter.
Took a look at the progress. Lots of cheese, and it appears that they're adapting a Ram Van bumper because it was there. Maybe it'll take the forklift abuse better. Also they're preparing to spray it with Rustoleom. Not happy

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We all hate an unfinished thread so here goes

Thanks to all for the help and advice . . . after spending 3 hours on Start Error (dead sprinter) a helper remembered he pulled a fuse because he thought it was a spare. Oil soaked wires at transmission and all the way up to TCM, cleaned them, no joy - locked in second.

Changed oil, pulled transmission pan and valve body, replaced control board and put it back together - locked in second gear. Cleared codes (Maxidas DS 708 scanner) took for drive, cleared codes...restarted...and no fault!!! Sitting there I went thru 1234D and took it for another drive to make sure I wasn't imaging it, and voila I heard it change all the way up to fifth.

Trans oil looked like motor oil and smelled like varnish, doesn't seem to be any issues now though.

Some pics, I was busy working so just a few...

Arrgh pics too big. Sleep now post later

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We all hate an unfinished thread so here goes

Thanks to all for the help and advice . . . after spending 3 hours on Start Error (dead sprinter) a helper remembered he pulled a fuse because he thought it was a spare. Oil soaked wires at transmission and all the way up to TCM, cleaned them, no joy - locked in second.

Changed oil, pulled transmission pan and valve body, replaced control board and put it back together - locked in second gear. Cleared codes (Maria's 708 scanner) took for drive, cleared codes...restarted...and no fault!!! Sitting there I went thru 1234D and took it for another drive to make sure I wasn't imaging it, and voila I heard it change all the way up to fifth.

Trans oil looked like motor oil and smelled like varnish, doesn't seem to be any issues now though.

Some pics, I was busy working so just a few...

How much did this set you back including the cost of the sprinter?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was getting there...had a solid 8 hours sleep...prices in Canadian with 13% taxes

3800 Sprinter
500 approx Ontario taxes on purchase
84 Case of Shell ATF 134
260 MB conductor plate
22 King-o-matic trans filter kit
20 Febi air filter
132 10 quarts Mobil 1 European Car Formula
14 oil filter (Fram was all I could find)
3 dollar store toothbrushes to clean egr

So...$366 to fix transmission for next 100,000 since I changed the oil, and total 4835 to date...

Now that I see the number, I know I couldn't have bought a similar one for that price here.

(Forgot MB connector socket think was 23 at dealer)

Not included was free use of shop and scanner, and what was left in the case of brake clean from my last tranny job

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Promised photos...
IMG_20160410_140258614.jpg
It's white!
IMG_20160410_140356386.jpg IMG_20160410_140331498.jpg
Valve body and conductor plate out
IMG_20160410_140449008.jpg
Yes this is transmission oil
IMG_20160410_140525208.jpg
Empty up there
IMG_20160410_140545044.jpg
Old conductor plate - note junk on 3-4 shift solenoid contacts
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Clean and ready for new plate
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Assembling
IMG_20160410_140508257.jpg
Not a speedy process here

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_140356386.jpg
    IMG_20160410_140356386.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The max pic size is currently 1.625 MB. I'll bump that up to something larger, probably large enough so that most phone images can just be uploaded directly without having to edit and resize them (but large files will still be automatically resized down for display). It requires editing a server file that I don't have direct access to, so it'll be at least Monday before we can get that changed.

Reactions: brokcanadian

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was getting there...had a solid 8 hours sleep...prices in Canadian with 13% taxes

3800 Sprinter
500 approx Ontario taxes on purchase
84 Case of Shell ATF 134
260 MB conductor plate
22 King-o-matic trans filter kit
20 Febi air filter
132 10 quarts Mobil 1 European Car Formula
14 oil filter (Fram was all I could find)
3 dollar store toothbrushes to clean egr

So...$366 to fix transmission for next 100,000 since I changed the oil, and total 4835 to date...

Now that I see the number, I know I couldn't have bought a similar one for that price here.

(Forgot MB connector socket think was 23 at dealer)

Not included was free use of shop and scanner, and what was left in the case of brake clean from my last tranny job
doesn't walmart up there carry the oil 0w40 in 5 qt jugs?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Body looks exceptionally nice. Me think you got a great deal, even with Canadian pricing

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
See earlier in thread...there's a huge dent up front in the future when I come across the individual who vandalized it...

Over a hundred hours in free bodywork because of it, trying to let it go mentally but...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Small update. Turned rotors just a smidge, pads ok . . . Brake lines exploded when touched, so fluid got flushed with 4+, after power steering and rearend oil ready for safety!

Last edited:
Reactions: Treadmill