2005 Sprinter second and reverse only

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About to buy 2005 long and tall sprinter, under 200000 miles, price 4000 (thats 2900 to all you Americans)

Transmission has only reverse and 2nd gear...am i correct in guessing TCM wiring / control unit in trans? Has anyone had this exact problem?

I'm comfortable playing with transmissions now, I drive a Dodge Ram van with the "biodegradeable" 46RE...never had sprinter...thanks

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It can be the TCM, wiring, the transmission, etc. You don't know for sure until you hook up a DRB3 scanner or similar to it and see what is going on. Unless it is a super deal, I wouldn't buy it. You could be replacing the whole transmission.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks...amounts to a deal for a long and tall where I live...even 2001 and up former Fedex/DHL are in the 10000 dollar range...guess i"ll take my chances

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would be more concerned with the rust than the transmission issue, the transmission can be replaced but depending on where the rust is, that might not be able to be fixed.

I had a 2005 sprinter, loved it, had almost 600k on it when I sold it, engine was going strong but the rust had taken its toll, where the rear shocks attached to the body was rusted out.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whoa thank you...that was not even on my radar...going to look tomorrow, i'll definitely crawl around under there!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: not rusty underneath, runs and drives, book value 12 000 here, goin for it! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reactions: TDave

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Settled on 3800 :D, picking it up tomorrow during a snowstorm - should make the 30 MPH top speed a little more believable in Toronto traffic - wish me luck it's 90 miles away

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's home! What a gawdaful ride that was in second gear PLUS limp mode from stuck egr...6 hours to go 120 miles through Hamilton and Toronto at max 30 mph!

On the positive side no leaks, temp. stayed dead on 80c at 3000 rpm and only used an eighth of a tank...
IMG_20160308_023034.jpg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rust? RUST!?! Now this is rust :D
IMG_20141217_215433.jpg
IMG_20141217_215532.jpg
IMG_20150706_014501.jpg
IMG_20150706_005820_edit.jpg
Last 2 are sparkplugs in case it's not clear...

Coming soon...valve body/wiring repair, egr delete tune and cheapest tool that can talk to TCM...

(EDIT: Note to carrier...no I am NOT currently driving that with your name on the door...it was the one before :))

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would try the value body, aka Connector Is plate. If you need a 500 dollar TCM I have one. They told me that was my problems when I had the same thing happening. Turned out to be the connector plate. What a deal I can make. PM ME!!! Lol

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks I'm starting there I haven't even mentioned the brake, esp, abs, and wheel lights on, you're lucky you didn't take that one in - they'll tell you it's every module and sensor on the van...retired mechanic who kept his DS 708 lending it to me tomorrow :grinning:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks I'm starting there I haven't even mentioned the brake, esp, abs, and wheel lights on, you're lucky you didn't take that one in - they'll tell you it's every module and sensor on the van...retired mechanic who kept his DS 708 lending it to me tomorrow :grinning:

Yep had that happen too. I had a problem with belt coming apart, one time it took out the dipstick and hit the black box that is mounted on the ABS pump. Put some silicone over the hole and fixed that. Water was getting in there and causing all the lights to come on. There is a place in Idaho that will rebuild the electrical part of the ABS system. Go to www.sprinter-source.com and do a search for a ABS. That little black cover holds the coil packs against theABS pump you could try to take it off and spray it with contact cleaner, only 5 torque screws hold it in. All mounted on the front.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you...my first sprinter, steep learning curve...what are the frickin buttons on the console for!?!