2005 Sprinter second and reverse only

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's an LED display on my console, bottom left, that's flashing at me with buttons...does that mean I've got an aux heater or constant RPM switch? :confused2:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It sounds like the controls for the auxiliary heater.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you telling me i've got an Espar in here or something? I'm trying to look it up but I'm not getting the point of if it's that or this hot water coolant recirculation thingy

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The control for the pre heater is right of the shifter. First switch could be door not closed. Auto locks. The heater will not flash at ya.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you telling me i've got an Espar in here or something? I'm trying to look it up but I'm not getting the point of if it's that or this hot water coolant recirculation thingy
Look behind the drivers side head light below battery. If you have one it will be there with two hoses. Look under left front for intake and exhaust pipes. Or, hit the switch on AC/heater control. It's on the left side cross bar. It will have 3 curving lines with a dot above the middle line. That turns it on and off.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you...its 45 min away, got free storage and use of shop...was going by memory and it was a larger square on center console down low with digital readout flashing like an unset clock...It'd be awesome if I got a free diesel heater with that van :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep. Had to zoom in on owners manual pdf, got an old blackberry..."Auxiliary Heater" now I'm really happy, I've been too cheap to idle for 10 years now :D thanks guys, I had no idea when I bought it!

Why is it limited to 2 hours I wonder?

(explains diesel smell from front I hit all the buttons to see what they did)

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once it reaches operation temp it should go in maintain mode. Temp drops it fires back up. Sounds like you may have an after market heater.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Appears to be the hot water recirculation, I don't see exhaust or fuel line, it is behind the left headlight (edit: found a baby exhaust pipe in the front of fender WOOHOO espar!)

I kind o got off topic, tested Tcm with scan tool, shifter works properly but speed sensors in transmission read 0 when drive selected...advice on control board or wiring harness?

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought you said that that abs light was on too, did you see what codes were in that module? If the rear wheel sensors are not working that will cause the transmission to not shift.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for that tip...it was intermittent, there were 4 lights on, cleared and road tested and did not return - heard on sprinter-source the tailights can cause that, there is a bulb missing...I watched the transmission shaft sensors drop to zero and fault on the scanner when in drive, that and the immediate transmission fault on startup made me suspect the control board or harness but I'm completely guessing

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Appears to be the hot water recirculation, I don't see exhaust or fuel line, it is behind the left headlight (edit: found a baby exhaust pipe in the front of fender WOOHOO espar!)

I kind o got off topic, tested Tcm with scan tool, shifter works properly but speed sensors in transmission read 0 when drive selected...advice on control board or wiring harness?

It appears to be the connector plate. I wouldn't drive it for many miles, you'll burn it up. This is one item I don't let just anyone do it. Especially those mechanics that have torque elbow indicators. I think a connector plate is around 100 bucks if you buy it online. Www.Europarts-sd.com pick your year a enjoy.

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1457801564.079916.jpg

eBay has a cheap kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That and connector I what I'm trying first. Almost 700 at Dodge, getting one for 260 in toronto that's an MB plate...trying to get it running on Monday, all the offers lately seem to be 2 oversize skids...ordering from Europarts would take an unknown amount of time and a 30% duty to cross the border to me but I definitely would order from them if I had t time to wait...

Hoping it's not really the expensive solenoid...almost 1000 dollars here, 213 for you guys

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talked at length with a transmission guy, speed sensors are supposed to drop to 0 in drive when not moving (duh!) I thought they were losing contact...he agrees with the common wisdom of connector first, if that doesn't work conductor plate...anybody following thread I was trained by Google :) i'll post the actual fix when I figure it out in the hopes it may help somebody else

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears to be the connector plate. I wouldn't drive it for many miles, you'll burn it up. This is one item I don't let just anyone do it. Especially those mechanics that have torque elbow indicators. I think a connector plate is around 100 bucks if you buy it online. Www.Europarts-sd.com pick your year a enjoy.

Seeing that gasket, it looks like this thing wrapped around the front of the transmission like somebody wanted to keep a spare or something? Weird

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seeing that gasket, it looks like this thing wrapped around the front of the transmission like somebody wanted to keep a spare or something? Weird

That gasket is for the oil pan. The little plug thing connects the the connector plate. For the price of the kit I'd say go for it. Now, most people don't believe this but, the connector plug will some time allow transmission fluid to seep up through the wires, ( inside them ), and enter the TCM under the drivers seat. I unplugged mine and the plug was full of fluid. I changed the plug and connector plate and fixed it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is dripping...got a connector at dodge and a king-o-matic filter (20), dealership asked 40 for filter 40 for gasket and 31 dollars a quart for fluid