2 skids vs 3 skids, how often in van

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I have been retired for 4 years now, but when I drove for FEDEXCC and CEVA, I always had over spec units so I could do more when need
my first unit was 1800 UD, with way it was set up I could carry 6,000 lbs., with my FL60 could carry 9,000 lbs. With Western Star could carry 13.300 lbs. also had a 16' ft. (these were all C units)
with my sprinter vans was set up for local pd, could carry 2,000 lbs, 4 pt's side ways. also had rollers in floor to make it easier to load.
one thing you want to do is load your truck with everything you carried to find out how much it weights you are able to carry. after getting done checking weight, you may have to cut out un important things.
send me a pm , see what we can do on a new sprinter

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
It never happens to me because I’m with a smaller company and no matter where I am, I’m always alone and that makes me first out. It’s more a problem when larger carriers have numerous vans within a few miles from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Crunch the numbers, does the availability of 3 skid or odd loads justify the cost of the transit or promaster, sprinter. The shipper & carrier always want the new expensive truck for the load because it is representing the carrier. But as independent business people you have to make the best decisions for you.
Having said that, you can always find used vans for about or close to the same price. I have both, chevy 3500 extended and sprinter.
I have 2 sons 1 has a diesel promaster the other runs a transit 3500. The chevy & the transit are bullet proof. The diesel promaster isn't worth it, its complete garbage it breaks and no one works on them. All do the exact same loads the same rates. To me its about profit how much are money we have in our pocket at payday, so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G973U using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: kg

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Dave Sullivan, no decision to be made as far a new van, the Express will be replaced by the Transit. As I stated, "have already been expediting for a number of years" so I know what model truck I want, my previous research has shown the Transit will work best for me. My research of fellow expeditors & other ownership venues have revelied the promaster too problematic & the sprinter to have to high of ownership cost for me to be comfortable with. My only decision was whether to go mid roof & long vs high roof & extra long. My carrier could not/would able to give me a percentage of 3 skid vs 2 skid number hence the reason to ask my fellow expeditors.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I agree, if GM would jump on the hightop bandwagon I would probably go with them, both of my last 2 Expess's have served me very well. But, I do know that I have missed a few loads in the last few years due to being low topped. That coupled with most carriers now ( mine included ) only put on hightops now.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
Agreed ! I am a carrier and I want my O/O to have the very best truck possible because it represents my company. But as an owner operator myself for 40 yrs now ,I prefer they make money and succeed . I discuss this subject many times with them.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
There are a few O/O that will not survive a downturn in freight like we have now. They just have not capitalized there business sufficiently. I see it all the time, the balance between money in the bank or driving a new truck. The the work slows or even stops there nothing to fall back on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: roadeyes

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Agreed, What we are going through right now will separate the boys/girls from the men/women just as it did during the recession. Alot of fly by fighters, quick buck people & "no reserve" cash flow drivers & O/O will fall to the wayside just like during the recession & other freight downsides we have had in the past. Of then the next wave of wannabes & highway heroes will start to appear agian. Lol

The way I have it figured is once the smoke clears, Ford will be wheeling & dealing on Trasits, I have even found some brand new 2019s still on some lots. This whole thing is very unfortunate, but it can be a great advantage when it clears up for anyone (like myself) looking to replace their office/business on wheels.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
You have the business sense to make it work.

I am the worlds worst speller, and the phone doesn't help me.
I know what you meant.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Lol, I hear you both, actually my not so smart spell check/word per-emit is sometimes wrong. lol.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Parting with the ole girl (my Express) will be bitter sweet, she doesn't owe me a dime. 725,000 miles. A couple water pumps & idler pulleys and every day maintenance is all she has required. She's been good to me but alias her body (like mine) is showing her age. Heck, if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself lol

Reactions: Moot and Turtle

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
AMEN!!!!! My GM dealer claims GM and Hyundai are in talks to badge a long,highroof bearing van. He said he would let me know more as he hears it.
It sounds like the promaster deal. Fiat & Chrysler to me. I had a bearing truck and it was terrible, so I'm not holding my breath. I'm old school as well, and if you would have told me ( back in 1980 ) we would be typing on a phone about carrying cargo in a 1 ton van & what van would work better I would have laughed so hard I'd probably throw my old back out. For me I just like the old GM, reliable get fixed anywhere. I'm going on #14 plain old gas job, crank windows rubber floor mats. This time I might splurge for an 8 track player I hear the kids say they're groovy.

Reactions: dalscott

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yep, my other Van's were diesel, but I opted for gas on the last one due to diesel fuel costing more than gas & paying approximately $5,000 more for a diesel as well as the higher maintenance cost and diesel mechanics, I just couldn't justify the rate of return on my investment. I don't regret my decision abit, as I stated 725,000 miles (and still going) on a 6.0 gas v8. Fuel economy has been ok enough to offset the difference in fuel economy (gas vs diesel). Let me know if you hear anything more about GM jumping on the hightop van bandwagon, would definitely take a look at them. To be honest a little gunshy on the ford as my 1st van was a ford diesel E350 plagued with issues, all 4 of my Express's (both diesel & gas) have served me well. But alias, it seems the Transit is the best choice on what's available at this point.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Just remember the transit uses almost everything the f150 does under the body.... so repair cost is alot cheaper than a sprinter or promaster.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for 2 skids or 3 skids, it comes down to personal comfort vs money. I chose comfort.

Reactions: Turtle