07 sprinters

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Companies who have it as their policy to outright lie are in for a world of hurt in the long run. There is a reason why the subjects of ethics and morals exist - and it isn't because some folks who had some time on their hands decided they wanted to become philosphers.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Soooo.....What does this say about your carrier?
Did you pursue it any further with someone higher up on the totum pole? If so, what kind of response did you recieve?
Maybe this topic should be taken to another Forum under a new thread, or maybe it should just be dropped as it has gotten way off topic of "07 Sprinters".

Danny

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Threads are living, breathing organisms. They move in unexpected ways. No doubt, one of these days, a dispatcher will tell the owner of an extra tall 2007 Sprinter that the load was 4 inches too tall, even for a Sprinter. Whoops.

Yes, I did take it up with a higher-up. More on the question of the lying than being dispatched around. It was addressed to my satisfaction.

At least until it happens again. x(

MDB1

Expert Expediter
If you guys are done hijacking this thread, I would like to comment on "payloads", which was mentioned earlier. Did you ever study advanced math? I remember learning years ago about something called "the square root of minus one." (Don't try to figure it out; it can't be done.) It was referred to as an "imaginary number" and I don't even remember now what it was used for. Well, that's exactly what the payload numbers are that you read in the brochures and websites and other advertising media. These numbers are created by the marketing geniuses in an attempt to make their brand of vehicle look better than the competition. They create a so-called empty or curb weight and subtract it from the GVWR to come up with a "payload" number. These empty or curb weights are impossible to replicate in a "real" vehicle.

The only way to ACCURATELY determine your payload is take your vehicle and load it up with all of the "stuff" you normally carry; your food, clothes, bedding, microwave, TV, DVD player, cooler, load bars, cargo straps, repair parts, and EVERYTHING ELSE that you normally carry on the road. Then, fill your fuel tank--full, put your warm body in the driver's seat (and your co-driver in the passenger seat if you normally run as a team), and put the vehicle on a scale and get it weighed. Take that scale weight and subtract it from the GVWR and you will have your LEGAL payload.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And, it's a good idea to get an empty weight ticket every few months, or certainly once a year, to catch the junk you add to the truck over time.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I can say that one the air frieight front, I lost a LOT of hotshots when I was in a van, just because the origin station didn't specify dims, and the local station was too lazy to make a call. Stuff like, "Well it says '2 @ 1200 lbs.", but they didn't specify dims, so I'm just gonna send over a truck. I don't think it's the O/O's fault. Carriers do like the one stop shop of trucking. Otherwise, "A" units wouldn't be dinosaurs.

Not trying to pee on anyone's parade, or be the bearer of pessimism, but the economy of freight is changing on all fronts, and so are the carriers. That means, an O/O must do whatever it takes for his role to remain relevant. Perhaps vans will see a resurgence, or perhaps they will go the way of the A unit. Whatever happens, we will all need to be able to adjust in order to survive.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
MDB1,

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I didn't realize how much it had changed till I pressed the button. But then again, the Sprinter goes to prove as well that there are a changing set of requirement to stay on top.

Ok, I'm done for now.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119