The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That was not plastic it was metal...the ears were very pointed and well would make holes in flesh.
OK. To me, an edged weapon is a knife or sword or some such thing. Maybe a spear. That's a side issue anyways. The assailant clearly had a weapon in hand and he was clearly moving to harm the candidate on stage. That merits serious charges and consequences.

The nature of the weapon makes a difference in one sense. Had it been a knife, the charge could easily rise to attempted murder. Less clear with a less deadly weapon.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
OK. To me, an edged weapon is a knife or sword or some such thing. Maybe a spear. That's a side issue anyways. The assailant clearly had a weapon in hand and he was clearly moving to harm the candidate on stage. That merits serious charges and consequences.

The nature of the weapon makes a difference in one sense. Had it been a knife, the charge could easily rise to attempted murder. Less clear with a less deadly weapon.
Less deadly weapon? If that had hit any where on the neck he would be bleeding out.

Reactions: Pilgrim and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Less deadly weapon? If that had hit any where on the neck he would be bleeding out.
It very well could have been a deadly weapon, but it might be harder to prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt in court that the person wanted to kill Zeldin with it that’s all. Much easier if the person had a gun or a knife. Again, I think this is felonious assault with a weapon at least. Unless other evidence is produced to indicate a murder plan not sure he should get charged with that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, and if it grazed the forehead it would have been minor. Whatever hypothetical you want to overlay on the facts, I can counter with the same reasoning and effect. Do you really want to go there? Do you really want to argue about the relative deadliness of a self-defense weapon?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think this is felonious assault with a weapon at least. Unless other evidence is produced to indicate a murder plan not sure he should get charged with that.
Those filing the charges seem to agree with you.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The guy attacked someone in the middle of a speech with a pointed weapon.....if security had not been there the Republican would be several injured maybe even dead.....it was premeditated assault with intent to do great bodily harm.

Reactions: muttly

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The guy attacked someone in the middle of a speech with a pointed weapon.....if security had not been there the Republican would be several injured maybe even dead.....it was premeditated assault with intent to do great bodily harm.
I think there's a larger problem here; why did Zeldin's security detail let this guy get that close in the first place? Considering the pandemic of crazy going around right now they should've established a no-go zone around him, and he should forgo "pressing the flesh".

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I think there's a larger problem here; why did Zeldin's security detail let this guy get that close in the first place? Considering the pandemic of crazy going around right now they should've established a no-go zone around him, and he should forgo "pressing the flesh".
Right. I saw an interview with one of the security guys and Tucker Carlson. He said he had an eye on him from much earlier. Something seemed “off” with the person. But somehow let him get up on the stage and make contact with Zeldin. More preemptive measures need to be in place.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A trump/desantis run would just destroy the Democrats.
If Trump runs and gets the GOP nomination, it will give the Democrats exactly what they're praying for. They'll find another stooge like Biden and run an "anybody but Trump" campaign which might have a chance of succeeding. What REALLY needs to happen is for Trump to put his ego on the shelf and do what's best for the country - endorse DeSantis, then play the role of kingmaker.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
If Trump runs and gets the GOP nomination, it will give the Democrats exactly what they're praying for. They'll find another stooge like Biden and run an "anybody but Trump" campaign which might have a chance of succeeding. What REALLY needs to happen is for Trump to put his ego on the shelf and do what's best for the country - endorse DeSantis, then play the role of kingmaker.
They’ll just demonize DeSantis just the same. They already have a nickname for him: “Deathsantis”. They’ll demonize any Republican presidential nominee. They even called Romney a racist.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
No they fear trump....that is why the Democrats are doing impeachment 3.0 with the January 6th committee.
Trump has been out of office for over 18 months and still lives rent free in many Democrat minds.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No they fear trump....that is why the Democrats are doing impeachment 3.0 with the January 6th committee.
Trump has been out of office for over 18 months and still lives rent free in many Democrat minds.
The Democrats and mainstream media have had six years to trash Trump and fabricate scandals about him, and he has yet to be convicted of anything. They'll have to start from scratch with DeSantis, and he won't be anywhere near the easy target Trump has been. But yes, the smear machine will be in high gear for the Republican candidate no matter who it turns out to be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK. To me, an edged weapon is a knife or sword or some such thing. Maybe a spear. That's a side issue anyways. The assailant clearly had a weapon in hand and he was clearly moving to harm the candidate on stage. That merits serious charges and consequences
It was initially reported in the press variously as a "knife" (NBC) and a "blade" (CNN), and I saw other outlets that called it a knife. But that was within the first 24 hours (Fog of War) and coupled with the fact that journalism today mainly consists of what the reporter read on Twitter, you can't put much credence in early reporting anymore.

Reactions: muttly and ATeam

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The whole purpose of the Jan 6th hearings is to prevent Trump from running in 2024. Like Trump said the other day, if he announced today that he will not seek election in 2024, the hearings would swiftly end tomorrow.

But at this point, Cheney and Zeldin have aced their MSNBC auditions.