When will freight come back?

1cooldad33

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello drivers
I have a question please if you could help me. I was wandering when you all think that freight may pick up and come back to normal?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Freight should be picking up quite a bit in 4-6 weeks with the auto plants ramping up. But back to normal? 6 months at the soonest, probably a year.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a 178 miler picking up in the morning going to Toyota in Princeton. I don't get many direct to plant automotive loads so this could be a good sign. I delivered a 795 mile load this morning so this Toyota load could be it for the week. Every board I've been on or could see with Panther Super Vision had way more vans than daily load average. Until a few weeks ago I was keeping busy and asking for and getting bonuses. I even got a load out of Wyoming a few hours after delivering there. I guess many drivers shut down and are now coming back out. Mask Face 25 pix.png

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night I stopped at the J south of the Beloit. I got fuel and went inside for coffee. There were two cashiers working. In order to get coffee or a fountain drink you had to stand in line, pay and then the cashier walked over to the coffee/fountain drink area and fill your request. What a screwed up mess. All of the other truck stops that I have frequented have the drink area blocked off with an employee behind the barricades to fill your order or its self serve like usual only you can't fill your personal drinking cup. The J on I-70 Columbus allows you to do the self serve thing with their cups but you must get a lid at the cash register. I spent 5 minutes looking for a lid at the coffee island before I saw an 8½ x 11 note stating the lids were at the cash register. Much of the COVID 19 stuff has gone too far. Mask Face 25 pix.png

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Uncharted territory. Everybody is trying their best. We'll, maybe not Democrat governors, but everyone else.

The Love's in Sioux Falls, that used to be a Pilot, they've got the self serve drinks and roller grill open like normal.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the Top 10 list of cities with the most COVID-19 cases per capita, #10 is Sioux Falls. Of course, mosre than 80% of North Dakota's COVID-19 cases come from the outbreak at the Smithfield pork processing plant in Sioux Falls, so there ya go.

From what I've seen here, masks are worn by maybe 50% of people (Walmart, truck stops, restaurants), but most employees wear them. But social distancing is employed by everybody. No exceptions. If somebody gets too close, people will move away.

1cooldad33

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for your input, I will continue to monitor to see how it is going in case I need to get in this business again.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I've been busy as hell since Covid got going, for a couple of reasons.

One: People were initially afraid to deliver to "hot zones"
Two: Laboratories are working overtime, and need their products delivered.

I've been doing between 3000-4000 miles every week since March 30 when I laid off the driver who was not willing to do the job. I took over my 2018 Sprinter 2500 Thermo King climate control van and have been running it myself. It's amazing how profitable one can be when the asset isn't sitting still all the time because of laziness.

Anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 per loaded mile, FYI

17.88 MPG
$0.34 Cost Per Mile - includes all scheduled Thermo King maintenance, scheduled maintenance at Mercedes, tires, insurance, vehicle payment, EVERYTHING

That leaves me a minimum of $2.16 per mile to figure out payroll. Which, at the moment is going back into the company wallet and covers less productive individuals.

Who is John Galt?

jcoppman

Expert Expediter
Not everyone has profit as their sole priority. This virus IS deadly and we all have been left to make our own individual decisions as to how to navigate protecting ourselves and others throughout this ordeal....with conflicting and erroneous/misleading information from our so-called leaders and experts.
Good for you for having profited so well from this horrible disaster BUT to disparage others who decide for what ever reasons not to go into certain areas is wrong and unfair.
I hope you and your loved ones stay protected from this disease. I have witnessed how it is truly life changing and I don't mean for the good!!!
I've been busy as hell since Covid got going, for a couple of reasons.

One: People were initially afraid to deliver to "hot zones"
Two: Laboratories are working overtime, and need their products delivered.

I've been doing between 3000-4000 miles every week since March 30 when I laid off the driver who was not willing to do the job. I took over my 2018 Sprinter 2500 Thermo King climate control van and have been running it myself. It's amazing how profitable one can be when the asset isn't sitting still all the time because of laziness.

Anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 per loaded mile, FYI

17.88 MPG
$0.34 Cost Per Mile - includes all scheduled Thermo King maintenance, scheduled maintenance at Mercedes, tires, insurance, vehicle payment, EVERYTHING

That leaves me a minimum of $2.16 per mile to figure out payroll. Which, at the moment is going back into the company wallet and covers less productive individuals.

Who is John Galt?

Sent from my SM-N975U using EO Forums mobile app

linehauler47

New Recruit
Driver
No time soon. The country will be in a recession for quite awhile in my opinion over covid fear. That is if we don’t get locked down again. I think that is going to happen again by fall despite what the president says.

Honestly believe we are headed for dire straights.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Just a suggestion ,,,, if you or anyone has a backup skill you are not using, try using it if possible.....example, my backup skill if I was to need it is HVAC repair or duct work...no I do not need it, but its still in my mind....Im a big fan of trade/technical schools, its a thought..

Reactions: Turtle

1cooldad33

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wanted to let you know that the way things are with having marfan syndrome and all its effects I am not doing this job again, but thanks for your input, also if you want to know what marfan syndrome is look it up on you tube under spinelive author of the video.

Reactions: dalscott

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wanted to let you know that the way things are with having marfan syndrome and all its effects .........
Best of luck to you, and best wishes for good health.
I am very much aware of what marfan syndrome is. A life long friend and his brother both succumbed to it.
I still miss him.

Reactions: Turtle