The Trump Card...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An Obama judge has a ruling with lightning speed.
"We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges," What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."
"That independent judiciary is something we should all be thankful for." ---John Roberts

Reactions: Grizzly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges," What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them."
"That independent judiciary is something we should all be thankful for." ---John Roberts

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An Obama judge has a ruling with lightning speed.
Yeah, it was almost a knee-jerk ruling. Congress getting grand jury testimony is pretty iffy as it is. A recent court case in April even further narrowed the exceptions that would allow Congress to receive grand jury material, and it doesn't appear that Congress meets the requirements of the exceptions. It might if there is a House vote to begin the official impeachment inquiry, but right now it's in hot dispute if Judge Howell even has the authority to release it. This one will go to the Supreme Court, as well.

So whether a District or Circuit Court rules in favor of Trump (Big win for Trump! even though it's really not) or against Trump (Huge defeat for Trump! even though it's not) it won't matter until it gets to the Supreme Court.

Last edited:
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And at the same time makes me suspicious and a little sad at the quality of people who can attain the rank of General in our military. I still have a lot of respect for our military, but this diminishes it just a smidge.
I have the same disappointment with supposed respected Federal Judges and even Prosecutors as well. (Including the SCOTUS) Whether it's RBG' s negative comments about Trump or some former US attorney that rants on Twitter about how bad the Orange Devil is.
It makes me think how derilect they might have been when they were administering investigations or with judges, a particular ruling.

Reactions: Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Some members of this forum occasionally point to Trump's filled-to-overflowing rallies as evidence of his popularity and support. Trump himself likes to talk about his crowd size compared to that of other candidates. There is some truth to that. Trump can clearly draw more supporters into a stadium than any other candidate now in the 2020 presidential race.

But a planed event that targets one's pre-identified supporters is different than strolling into an event filled with the general public, like a baseball game, where Trump event planners are not in control.. The response Trump received at last night's baseball game was quite different than what he receives at his rallies.

That does not mean the cheers Trump receives at his rallies are false. Clearly they are there and real. But that's not the whole story, is it? This general-public baseball game response is also an indicator of his popularity and support. While there were certainly Trump supporters in that crowd, they either did not cheer or were out-cheered by those who booed.

Boos and chants of 'lock him up greet Trump at World Series baseball match

While "lock her up" and "lock him up" have become popular chants, I've never liked them. They degrade civic discourse and thus our democracy. Had I been in that crowd, I would not have booed or changed "lock him up." We can and should express ourselves politically on a higher plane.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This general-public baseball game...
'General-public" is a bit of a misnomer, as well, considering the stadium sits in a geographical metropolitan area where only 6% of the registered voters are Republicans, 76% are registered Democrats, and election voting is at a 92% clip for Democrats.

Reactions: davekc

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
'General-public" is a bit of a misnomer, as well, considering the stadium sits in a geographical metropolitan area where only 6% of the registered voters are Republicans, 76% are registered Democrats, and election voting is at a 92% clip for Democrats.
With the price of World Series tickets, i highly doubt the "general public" of the D.C. area was in attendance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With the price of World Series tickets, i highly doubt the "general public" of the D.C. area was in attendance.
Then your issue is with Phil's statement, not mine. I used the term in the same context as Phil. But as to your context of ticket prices, are you trying to claim that ticket affordability is somehow affected by political leanings or political party? Should Phil have used "affluent public" instead of "general public"? I do know that tickets were made available to anyone in the entire general who was willing to pay for them.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many were probably affluent people, a large percentage of Democrats, Government contractors, and workers from Northern Virginia. John McCain affectionately called that area "communist country".

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some members of this forum occasionally point to Trump's filled-to-overflowing rallies as evidence of his popularity and support. Trump himself likes to talk about his crowd size compared to that of other candidates. There is some truth to that. Trump can clearly draw more supporters into a stadium than any other candidate now in the 2020 presidential race.

But a planed event that targets one's pre-identified supporters is different than strolling into an event filled with the general public, like a baseball game, where Trump event planners are not in control.. The response Trump received at last night's baseball game was quite different than what he receives at his rallies.

That does not mean the cheers Trump receives at his rallies are false. Clearly they are there and real. But that's not the whole story, is it? This general-public baseball game response is also an indicator of his popularity and support. While there were certainly Trump supporters in that crowd, they either did not cheer or were out-cheered by those who booed.

Boos and chants of 'lock him up greet Trump at World Series baseball match

While "lock her up" and "lock him up" have become popular chants, I've never liked them. They degrade civic discourse and thus our democracy. Had I been in that crowd, I would not have booed or changed "lock him up." We can and should express ourselves politically on a higher plane.
This " general public" is overwhelmingly a Democrat area. Not a fair sample audience. It would be like an opposing team entering your stadium. The stadium had a large majority of Democrats, and they also largely favor impeaching him. So naturally the Democrat audience would boo him and chant " lock him up". It's also indicative of the personality of a mob mentality somewhat. (Non violent)The audience is there with like minded people who dislike the President, so they feel emboldened to boo and chant. But that is normal for sports venues in general.
I also don't think it was an accident that the Chef( a huge Trump critic) threw out the first pitch. Bush league if you ask me. The organization should have shown more class and not try to make this event political. Interesting, that as soon as Trump declined to throw out the first pitch, they had Trump basher Chef Andres waiting in the wings.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting, that as soon as Trump declined to throw out the first pitch, they had Trump basher Chef Andres waiting in the wings.

Ahhhhhh, apparently the decision was made before Trumper deciede to attend the game.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
:Those boos were greatest boos in history. They were the biggest and loudest ever! Nobody has ever been boo'd the way I was boo'd. Obama got a lot of boos... a lot. He really did. Obama got boo'd at the All Star Game in St Louis, and he got boo'd in Baltimore. But my boos were so big and beautiful they made all other boos look small." - Donald J Trump

Last edited:
Reactions: davekc and muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Fair points are raised about my use of the term "general public." None of us know the demographics of those in the stadium where Trump was booed and targeted with chants of "lock him up." Many thousands of people reside in and around the nation's capitol who's legal, registered-to-vote residence is outside of DC. While the District of Columbia itself is a predominantly blue area, it does not follow that the representation at the ball game is the same.

The point is the same with Trump rallies, is it not? While the rallies concentrate Trump supporters in a building, it does not follow that that crowd represents the district or state in which that building is located.

On another topic, when was the last time Trump appeared at a public event where the audience was not controlled by the event organizers? Given the response at the ball game, I doubt we'll ever again see Trump appear before an audience where he might be booed and hear "lock him up" chants.

Reactions: Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
:Those boos were greatest boos in history. They were the biggest and loudest ever! Nobody has ever been boo'd the way I was boo'd. Obama got a lot of boos... a lot. He really did. Obama got boo'd at the All Star Game in St Louis, and he got boo'd in Baltimore. But my boos were so big and beautiful they made all other boos look small." - Donald J Trump

Those Articles of Impeachment were the greatest ....

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman