The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fair points are raised about my use of the term "general public." None of us know the demographics of those in the stadium where Trump was booed and targeted with chants of "lock him up." Many thousands of people reside in and around the nation's capitol who's legal, registered-to-vote residence is outside of DC. While the District of Columbia itself is a predominantly blue area, it does not follow that the representation at the ball game is the same.

The point is the same with Trump rallies, is it not? While the rallies concentrate Trump supporters in a building, it does not follow that that crowd represents the district or state in which that building is located.

On another topic, when was the last time Trump appeared at a public event where the audience was not controlled by the event organizers? Given the response at the ball game, I doubt we'll ever again see Trump appear before an audience where he might be booed and hear "lock him up" chants.
Yes, that is what I was getting at. Trump rallies and what you saw at the National's ballpark were very similar albeit with completely different responses. It's a overwhelmingly Democrat area, so one can surmise that the stadium would contain a large amount of Democrats, who if you believe the polls don't like the President.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lot of arenas and venues tend to be in large Democrat areas, downtown areas, college towns. So if Trump appeared in those arenas, he might receive a somewhat similar response. Although the northern Virginia area is the epicenter for the swamp that doesn't like Trump. Trump outperforms in rural areas, not too many arenas there though.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
While the District of Columbia itself is a predominantly blue area, it does not follow that the representation at the ball game is the same.
I didn't limit my comments to those people who reside within the District itself. In fact I specifically and intentionally extended it to the Washington, DC Metropolitan Statistical Area. The entire area is defined by the Office of Management and Budget as the "Washington–Arlington–Alexandria, DC–VA–MD–WV metropolitan statistical area." It comprises more than 6.5 million people. It is also known as the DMV, for District Maryland Virginia. And it is this entire geographical statical area that votes in the numbers I posted above.
The point is the same with Trump rallies, is it not?
It is not. A Trump rally in Houston is likely to be chock full of Astros fans, but that doesn't mean they are there because they're Astros fans. A Trump rally in Dallas is likely to be comprised largely of Dallas Cowboys fans, but that's not why they were there, either. A Washington Nationals game is going to be attended chiefly by liberal Democrats, but that's not why they are there. People who go to a non-political event, such as a sporting event, are, more or less, going to be a pretty good representation of the political makeup of the general geographical area. People who go to political rallies are not at all likely to be a fair representation of the political makeup of the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, that can not be surmised.
Of course it can. To surmize something is to assume something is true even when there is no evidence to support it. I can surmize that a soccer game in Dearborn is attended by a large number of Muslims without having to take a poll amongst the attendees. I can surmize that a barn raising event in Lancaster County, PA is going to be attended by a large number of Amish people. I can surmize that any random hockey game in Roseau, MN is going to be attended by mostly white people.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A lot of arenas and venues tend to be in large Democrat areas, downtown areas, college towns. So if Trump appeared in those arenas, he might receive a somewhat similar response. Although the northern Virginia area is the epicenter for the swamp that doesn't like Trump. Trump outperforms in rural areas, not too many arenas there though.

Keep in mind Trump LOST the popular vote to Hillary Clinton. He is only president because he won the electoral college. In the 2018 mid-term elections, the Democrats surged and took control of the House. Those are the hard, election day numbers. Observers can make any point they want by citing a single-stadium event. Until election day 2020, we can only make best-guesses as to public sentiment. For that, I do what the political professionals do, watch the polls. Yes, polls have their shortcomings but most poll results are in the ballpark most of the time. That's why politicians and their operatives pay close attention to them.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind Trump LOST the popular vote to Hillary Clinton. He is only president because he won the electoral college. In the 2018 mid-term elections, the Democrats surged and took control of the House. Those are the hard, election day numbers. Observers can make any point they want by citing a single-stadium event. Until election day 2020, we can only make best-guesses as to public sentiment. For that, I do what the political professionals do, watch the polls. Yes, polls have their shortcomings but most poll results are in the ballpark most of the time. That's why politicians and their operatives pay close attention to them.
Trump is polling 87 job approval rating with his base. Impeachment is underwater in battleground states like Wisconsin according to polls. Yes Trump lost the popular vote, but remember that California ran up large Democrat votes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump is polling 87 job approval rating with his base. Impeachment is underwater in battleground states like Wisconsin according to polls. Yes Trump lost the popular vote, but remember that California ran up large Democrat votes.
True snapshot today. A few months ago impeachment was underwater in most if not all states. Watch the trajectory, not the snapshots. What's true today will not be true tomorrow.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
True snapshot today. A few months ago impeachment was underwater in most if not all states. Watch the trajectory, not the snapshots. What's true today will not be true tomorrow.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind Trump LOST the popular vote to Hillary Clinton.
It's impossible not to keep that in mind. Democrats have a deep deeded, almost child-like "Oh, yeah! Well whatabout...!" insatiable urge to remind everyone of that....Every....Single....Day.
He is only president because he won the electoral college.
Wow. That's impressive. With such a dizzying depth level of Constitutional knowledge and presidential history, you are fully qualified to be an Constitutional expert on CNN. You should look into that. They make like $800 per appearance.

Reactions: muttly

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Not only would they be cancelling the votes of over 60 million people, but they would have to change the rules and vote in secrecy. Interesting...

You tried to cancel the vote of the people with Clinton for far less. By you bringing that up is just more right-wrong hypocrisy.
You can dish it out but you sure as hell can’t take it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You tried to cancel the vote of the people with Clinton for far less. By you bringing that up is just more right-wrong hypocrisy.
You can dish it out but you sure as hell can’t take it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
You keep on bringing up Clinton from like 21 years ago. So you were against Nixon being forced out of office? Or how about Andrew Johnson? This is nothing more but the Dems trying to damage Trump's favorability with contrived investigations. They must think that they can't win the old fashioned way by just having a Presidential election.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That is the key in the discussion, "with his base". Of course they approve, thats why they are his base.
And after 3 years of constant Fake News stories, phony investigations and accusations, his base is as strong as ever.