The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Some people here are defending Trump's decision to move U.S. troops out of a certain area in Syria. All U.S. House Democrats and an approximate 2 to 1 majority (129 to 60) of Republicans are openly condemning the move.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to condemn President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw U.S. forces from northeastern Syria, clearing the way for Turkey's offensive against U.S.-allied Syrian Kurds.

The vote was 354 to 60 for the resolution, as dozens of Trump's fellow Republicans joined the majority Democrats in favor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm willing to entertain any and all rationales for why the US should go to war with a NATO ally to protect the Kurds. Because I'm stumped. I can't think it's a single rational reason.

Reactions: Grizzly and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't know about about Mr Krugman . I have little use for any of the elite . I do have some sympathy for the underdogs.
Krugman is considered an "elite". A bubble elitist who isn't that bright. Regardless of the awards he has received.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are the Kurds a country? We have a difficult enough time protecting entire countries from the wolves.

Assad is a scumbag but there's no end in sight. Time to leave ..

Politicians, on both sides, all fall in line. Not a single one of them can think independently as to what's best for our communities, cities, states and country.

Reactions: Moot and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Krugman is the one who predicted a massive, historical stock market crash if Trump got elected, and then got really mad when just the opposite happened. And he's been alternately pouting, sulking, viciously sticking his tongue out, and lashing out ever since.

In a way, I do feel bad for the Kurds, but on the other hand they're not our responsibility, and they've been fighting Turkey for a long time, centuries. There are a plethora of European countries who could come to the defense of the Kurds, but they won't. Why should we? Plus, if we go to war with Turkey, that would invoke NATO, and then we'd have to come to the defense of Turkey, and I don't even know how that would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: muttly and Grizzly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They're not going to impeach him.

It seems the Senate Republicans believe the opposite. They expect the House to impeach the president. Whether the Senate will convict is another question.

Early speculation that McConnell would refuse to take up the matter when the House delivered articles of impeachment to the Senate proved to be inaccurate. Speculation that McConnell would take the matter up and immediately entertain a motion to dismiss it or otherwise short-circuit the process also fell to the ground.

"McConnell reiterated on Wednesday that if articles of impeachment are passed by the House, the Senate will take the matter up." Source

"McConnell said that the trial would start in the early afternoon each day, six days a week, with Chief Justice John Roberts presiding over the Senate. He said that the House could pass articles of impeachment by Thanksgiving and the Senate could then finish its trial by Christmas, according to a Republican present."
Source

While the Democrats later said the Thanksgiving assumption ought not be relied upon, It's clear McConnell intends to take up the matter and plans to dedicate at least a few weeks of Senate time to it.

For reference, Clinton's impeachment trial lasted 36 days.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The tides come and go, so do men. its a short run,just long in human terms, 20 years from ,no one will care.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Some people, including me, believe Trump has violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution. That question was raised some time ago and has been making its way through the courts.

On Oct 15, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Trump and that case is proceeding to the next stage (Source). On September 13, a panel of the New York-based 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Trump and that case also is proceeding to the next stage (Source). A third case (Blumenthal v. Trump) has also produced rulings against Trump as it progressed. At present, Trump is appealing a recent ruling and a higher court will take up that appeal.

Yesterday, Trump announced his decision to host the next G-7 summit at his Doral resort. I believe this too is an emoluments clause violation and the most blatant of them all. The fact that he violates the constitution in the open does not make it any less of a violation. Indeed, Trump's transparency in this action will make it easy for this to be included as an article of impeachment, or to become yet another court case, or to become part of a modified court case already underway.

Trump is a great leader in many people's eyes but he is not without his blind spots. How blind must you be to be suffering adverse court rulings on the emoluments question and then use the powers of your office to force foreign leaders to patronize a resort you own?

Reactions: Grizzly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Conviction i was referring to. The Dems, they'll do anything cockimani to damage this President.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some people, including me, believe Trump has violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution. That question was raised some time ago and has been making its way through the courts.

On Oct 15, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Trump and that case is proceeding to the next stage (Source). On September 13, a panel of the New York-based 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Trump and that case also is proceeding to the next stage (Source). A third case (Blumenthal v. Trump) has also produced rulings against Trump as it progressed. At present, Trump is appealing a recent ruling and a higher court will take up that appeal.

Yesterday, Trump announced his decision to host the next G-7 summit at his Doral resort. I believe this too is an emoluments clause violation and the most blatant of them all. The fact that he violates the constitution in the open does not make it any less of a violation. Indeed, Trump's transparency in this action will make it easy for this to be included as an article of impeachment, or to become yet another court case, or to become part of a modified court case already underway.

Trump is a great leader in many people's eyes but he is not without his blind spots. How blind must you be to be suffering adverse court rulings on the emoluments question and then use the powers of your office to force foreign leaders to patronize a resort you own?
Camp David was apparently too small. I don't know why the Dems (actually I do: they hate Trump) decide to go to Defcon 1 and call for impeachment every time Trump does something. Having the G7 at Doral will not only be done at.cost , but will be ideal for accommodations.