How many miles do the Ford Transit Engines last?

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone own a Ford Transit with milage over 500K-600K? I'm curious if these smaller engine can last as long as the 5.4L engines the Econolines had. I mean lasting without any major failures. The same question for the Transmission, and Rear and Driveshafts. Bottom line, are they as reliable as the Econoline E350.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

guido4475

Not a Member
I love my Econoline for the dependability and durability . After 2012 they changed the GVW to 10, 050 from 9,600....but, a good commercial Ford dealer like the one in Stevens Point, Wi, can order a new E350 cutaway derated from the factory at 9, 999 GVW. He also can order Transits the same way.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
There are no bulletproof engines. Longevity is a mindset and is different in everyone's mind. No one can guarantee an engine forever because many do not take care of them,IMHO. It's those external parts that are costly most of the time...tires, fuel injection components, turbos,and such..

guido4475

Not a Member
Also, starting in 2019, the Econoline cutaway will only be available with the 6.2 (v8), and the 6.8 (v10) engine. 5.4 will be discontinued.

Also starting in 2019, the DRW Transit will be available 9,950 GVW, but gas model only.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone own a Ford Transit with milage over 500K-600K? I'm curious if these smaller engine can last as long as the 5.4L engines the Econolines had.
The Transit is available with 3 different engine choices; 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.7 and a diesel. The 3.5 seems well suited for expediting and is the most popular engine option for the Transit. I have 230K miles on the 3.5. I know others that are close or just over 300K but nobody in the 500-600K range. The 3.5 EcoBoost has been available in the F-150 since the 2011 model year so there are probably 3.5's in the ½ million mile range.

Rachi

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have a 2016 Ford Transit 250 and I have to replaced the transmission at 255k miles

Rachi

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I bought an aftermarket 16k miles transmission. I paid $2,649 including taxes and labor and the truck was in the shop 4 days.

Reactions: guido4475

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a little over 400,000 on F 250 super duty 7.3. Have run Mobil 1 since 100,000 miles. change the filter & add 2 quarts at 5000 miles then filter & full oil change next 5000 miles, along with fuel filter and air filter. So far nothing (knock on wood) has been done to engine.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a little over 400,000 on F 250 super duty 7.3. Have run Mobil 1 since 100,000 miles. change the filter & add 2 quarts at 5000 miles then filter & full oil change next 5000 miles, along with fuel filter and air filter. So far nothing (knock on wood) has been done to engine.

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics

Bill Hewlett knows the Ford/International engines better than the people who built them. He does things right. Click on the 7.3 in the left column and you'll be there all day. Hes the man.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My friend with Bolt has 385,000 on the 3.5 Transit with no major problems. He replaced two throttle bodies and a couple of the coil packs. He bought a second Transit for that day when this one craps out but he is really happy with the one he has.

Reactions: guido4475