Do you trust your GPS?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes and no. Mine would usually put me on country road out by the corn field with nothing else around.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Before i leave i double check the route it gives me on google maps and the drop location and just make mental notes on anything i need to change. But 98% of the time everything is good with it. Unless im going to nyc then i have to manually make a route with all the parkways.

Also you have to periodically update your gps on your computer to download all the new addresses and roads and what not

Last edited:
Reactions: DollarSign

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have complete trust in my GPS as I do in my carrier, the National Weather Service, American Dental Association, the main stream media, Congress, TSA and all of the other alphabet soup government agencies. I also carry a current, analog Rand McNally Road Atlas.

phoenix827

New Recruit
Researching
I know, old thread. But along these lines, what is out there that actually has truck routing on it? My last job (not trucking) we all used Delorme Street Atlas on our laptops, that seemed to work good as there were a LOT of routing options. Also having it on a 15-17 inch screen is GREAT. But I found out last week that google maps has nothing for trucks. Any Ideas?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The best dedicated GPS for truck routing is probably the Garmin Dēzl (diesel, get it?).
TomTom also has one, but it's mapping overall is much better in Europe than it is in North America.
Rand Mcnally has theirs, and a lot of people like it. A lot of people don't.

Then there are apps for the phone that are semi-decent, like Trucker Path and Co-Pilot Truck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Good old Stupid. As the saying goes, trust but verify.
Yup. We don't even have accurate bridge height clearance data in the US which could be integrated into GPS routing. So, when in doubt, don't trust the GPS.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
OMG!... Who is Ronald Reagan???? Must be some old fella from a dusty old school book:confused2:.... Not me dating Myself!!!! :cool:

1Babydoll

New Recruit
Retired Expediter
Garmin Dezl included in the truck I'm selling. I trust it but look at Google Maps to pinpoint loading areas, driveways and, sadly, options in case I miss the driveway.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got a Garmin Dezel and trust it mostly. I do watch it and make sure it's on point. Had it updated at there home office and type in ATF and didn't show up. Google pulled up two in that town. Took it back in and showed them and they were shock, LOL. ATF was only two tenths of a mile away. LOL

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a Rand McNally and loved it at first but every time it updated it got stupider and stupider as far as routing and the traffic service they used seemed to only know about traffic jams in big cities, never on the highway.

Been using Google and a map last 3 years or so.