Mechanical Ford transit owners

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed but I've heard some drivers having problems with ford even wanting to or know how to fix this issue for driver. And if ford is not going fix this issue or act like it's not even an issue something needs to be done no?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: jcochristoph

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only people who make money on a "Class Action" law suit are the Attorneys.
Not true! I've been involved in a few class action suits. All brought me money that cost me nothing. None of these cases I felt wronged enough to be the sole complainant and go and find my own attorney. In fact, in one case I wasn't even aware that I had been screwed. Often a law suit brought about by individuals or as a class action is the only way to get large companies to do the right thing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And if ford is not going fix this issue or act like it's not even an issue something needs to be done no?
I agree and something is being done. There is a class action suit against Ford. https://www.expeditersonline.com/fo...tion-law-suit-against-ford.69692/#post-812791
If I can get a hundred bucks out of the lawsuit and Ford resolves the problem for future Transit owners, I'm happy. If my giubo completely failed, dropping my driveshaft and pole vaulting me into a bridge abutment; winning me a 10 million dollar settlement because I'm a paraplegic, I'd be sad.

I'll take the $100 like everyone else in the class action lawsuit and let the attorneys keep the rest. They did all the heavy lifting. All I did was fill out the form.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not true! I've been involved in a few class action suits. All brought me money that cost me nothing. None of these cases I felt wronged enough to be the sole complainant and go and find my own attorney. In fact, in one case I wasn't even aware that I had been screwed. Often a law suit brought about by individuals or as a class action is the only way to get large companies to do the right thing.
I just received a check in the mail from the Sylvania Automotive Lighting Settlement, a class action suit against Sylvania and their Silver Star headlamps. The check for $9.24 represents the Phase II Distribution payment. I don't recall getting a Phase I Distribution but if you are an expedite cargo van O/O like me, it ain't easy keeping track of all the money that comes pouring in.

As noted elsewhere on this forum, Ford is doing something about the defective guibo problem. I have to believe the class action lawsuit against them may have prompted them to quit stalling on this issue.

Last edited:

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Ive talked to 3 owners of Transits. I will NEVER buy one. When I upgrade since the Econoline isnt available will settle for a GMC. None of the high roof models are reliable. I talked to Sprinter and Dodge owners, they arent reliable and cost alot of money due to constant repairs.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Right now I'm inclined to agree with you. I have hauled loads too tall for a cargo van so would have missed them in a GMC. But I'll never know if I would have gotten another, even more profitable load, if I didn't get the tall one.
The extra height is great for standing, but I don't stand up in my sprinter van much now. I've owned GM cargo vans before my Transit. If GM adds height to a Savanna or Express, I'd jump all over it.

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive talked to 3 owners of Transits. I will NEVER buy one. When I upgrade since the Econoline isnt available will settle for a GMC. None of the high roof models are reliable. I talked to Sprinter and Dodge owners, they arent reliable and cost alot of money due to constant repairs.
I love my 2012 Sprinter. Just a few problems in 5+ yrs. I would do it all over again if given the chance.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Chevy vans are tough as nails. But the low roof was getting tiresome and I had 460K on the old girl with need for several minor repairs. Moved up to Transit 250 with mid-roof and 10.5' bed. My dispatch folks said the occasional tall load might come my way, and I'll probably save $2-3K in fuel annually with 3.7L V6 vs 6.0L V8. I don't count on the height earning me a ton of money, but if it gets me rolling out of a slow area from time to time...

The extra space is nice. Fitting the vehicle with a bulkhead and storage up along the walls. Bonus Feature: Driver's seat fully reclines. I've carried overnight cargoes where there was little or no space left to sleep. But I'll be able to pop out a bulkhead panel behind the driver's seat and recline to catch a nap at 4AM. A little quality sleep at the right time can be a life saver.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Found this tonight:

Ford dealership did say it consisted of a new driveshaft and 3 other new style components.
683f098a46dac5fa6449f892d055d56b.png
ab37e40ad8c2f98d21e1e603f18eb2d1.png

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the new flex disc (giubo), permanent fix installed today. It isn't a U-joint but another rubber flex disc. It is a different design. I'm not sure how permanent, permanent is. The replacement includes shields that ostensibly protect other vital components from catastrophic failure resulting in giudo shrapnel damaging these components. doesn't sound permanent to me. Maybe for the average consumer that does 10-12,000 miles a year. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: RoadTime

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moot, why isn’t your permanent fix like Danny’s permanent fix ?

Could you have gotten a temporary permanent fix, designed to placate you until they have a larger supply of permanent fixes available ?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the new flex disc (giubo), permanent fix installed today. It isn't a U-joint but another rubber flex disc. It is a different design. I'm not sure how permanent, permanent is. The replacement includes shields that ostensibly protect other vital components from catastrophic failure resulting in giudo shrapnel damaging these components. doesn't sound permanent to me. Maybe for the average consumer that does 10-12,000 miles a year. I guess time will tell.

I’ve been told that the Transits with the 3.7 are getting new driveshafts with a u joint by the transmission output shaft. But the 3.5 Transits are getting the new rubber coupler like myself and Moot have gotten. And yes, I was told this is the permanent fix for our model.

Reactions: BigStickJr

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank You.

Interesting, very interesting.
I wonder what the 3.5 coming off the assembly line would have.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder what the 3.5 coming off the assembly line would have.
I don't know about the 2018s but the 2017s with the 3.5 built after the recall came with a u-joint. This permanent fix seems more like a cheap,temporary permanent fix. Ford has more pressing and expensive problems with the Fusion and Lincoln.

I wonder why Ford dropped the tag lines: At Ford Quality Is Job One or Quality Goes In Before The Name Goes On.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just received a check in the mail from the Sylvania Automotive Lighting Settlement, a class action suit against Sylvania and their Silver Star headlamps. The check for $9.24 represents the Phase II Distribution payment. I don't recall getting a Phase I Distribution but if you are an expedite cargo van O/O like me, it ain't easy keeping track of all the money that comes pouring in.

As noted elsewhere on this forum, Ford is doing something about the defective guibo problem. I have to believe the class action lawsuit against them may have prompted them to quit stalling on this issue.
Weird, today I received another check representing the Phase III Distribution payment. This has been going on for several years now. I have yet to hear any more regarding the Transit lawsuit.
Sylvania 2.JPG

Reactions: davekc and RoadTime