New , on assault rife sales

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If we just ban the AR 15, that'll make a lot of people happy.

Just don't ever tell them that there are about a dozen other rifles out there that don't look as mean, but use the same ammo and can fire just as fast and accurately.

Reactions: skyraider

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
AR-15 's out the box .. may fire semi-automatically But they are not Accurate.. at 200 yards in a 3 inch circle target you would be lucky to group 50% ... you can custom float the barrel and put an exspensive scope on it to improve the accuracy some .. at 300 yards you will lucky to hit a pumpkin.. . They are designed to be a scatter gun .. i have no use for inaccuracy.. have shot several of them ..
Now my Ruger 220 swift bolt action , barrel floated, bull barrel ,with bi-pod and scope and hand loaded shells will group 5 for 5 shots on a Quarter size target at 400 yards

☠.. Online courses now available for Pot Stirring

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't own one and have never shot one, but it's my understanding that an AR 15 out of the box, you can expect a grouping of at or very near 1 MOA at 200 yards. That's certainly more than adequate for school and other closely grouped shootings, I'd think.

I don't own a gun anymore (but we do have a shotgun in the house) and no longer hunt, but when I did hunt I mainly hunted rabbits, because they're fun to hunt and they're very tasty. For that I preferred my Winchester 9422 lever action .22 rifle. More challenging than a shotgun, but it left some meat to eat without having to pick out the shot.

I also used a Browning 410 for squirrels and turkeys, a few quail. That was also a close range gun, 40 or 50 yards max.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just stay out of High Schools

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
My senior year 1976 Speech Class ...
My Topic Gun cleaning and safety.. Springfield 410 bolt action 410 shotgun .. was left in car till class began .. then allowed to take back out to car after speech ... received an A

My how times have changed .. but that same 410 is in my gun cabinet now .. hasn't been shot in over 20 years ...
My high powered rifle.. i use Only for hunting Fox & Coyotes .. at 3,400 fps ..its strikes quick ..

Reactions: Turtle

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Don't own an AR, from a home defense standpoint it just isn't practical, from a safety standpoint.

Wouldn't mind owning one just for fun, but rifles are not allowed at the indoor range where I shoot ... shotguns are though ... so a tactical 12 gauge pump is a much better option for home defense and all around for me.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Walmart just announced that they are changing their policy on minimum age on sales to 21 ...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't own an AR, from a home defense standpoint it just isn't practical, from a safety standpoint.

Wouldn't mind owning one just for fun, but rifles are not allowed at the indoor range where I shoot ... shotguns are though ... so a tactical 12 gauge pump is a much better option for home defense and all around for me.

Yep ... nothing gets Trespassers attention at night when they are ringing my Doorbell ( 2 no trespassing signs posted.. required in my county to file charges) Better than firing a round into the air after sneaking out my back door in the dark ... last time 2 years ago at 1am when they drove their car while drunk into the ditch ... Both No-trespassing signs are in well lit area facing road ... i don't play nice when your on My Property uninvited...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know how Dick's Sporting Goods, and now Walmart, can get away with just arbitrarily setting an age limit on buying guns. They can't just go, "Sorry, you need to be 30 years old to buy a sleeping bag."

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know how Dick's Sporting Goods, and now Walmart, can get away with just arbitrarily setting an age limit on buying guns. They can't just go, "Sorry, you need to be 30 years old to buy a sleeping bag."

I guess not a big problem if you really want a AR...Yet.
Others are still happy to take the money :rolleyes:

http://bwne.ws/2FDuYsa

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Twas a joke.

That might be a revelation to some ... I can tell you however it is being raised as a serious argument by gun fanatics elsewhere.
Seriously? I thought the gun fanatics knew all the gun laws forwards and backwards. Granted, they're not in the same league as someone with a 3rd grade education regarding welfare benefits laws, but they're usually pretty on top of the sales regulations.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Seriously? I thought the gun fanatics knew all the gun laws forwards and backwards. Granted, they're not in the same league as someone with a 3rd grade education regarding welfare benefits laws, but they're usually pretty on top of the sales regulations.

The individuals I referenced include career law enforcement, Lifetime NRA members, and NRA/IDPA/USPSA competitive shooters ... and in some instances two or three of the above in a single package.

So yeah ... you could say they're fairly knowledgeable I guess.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. I just thought it was pretty well known that licensed federal arms dealers are one of the few blanket exceptions to the Civil Rights Act, where they can refuse to sell a gun to anybody for pretty much any reason. Even if it's questionable, much like cops and the "I feared for my life" Get Out of Jail Free card, gun dealers have the "I felt he was buying the gun for someone else" card. But that one guy, in Florida I think it was, maybe after the Pulse shooting, put up a sign that said "No Muslims Allowed" or something like that. He was challenged in court, and the case was dismissed (IIRC, though, it was due to lack of standing of those who brought the lawsuit).

Dick's and maybe Walmart might be challenged in court over this, but it won't be on Civil RIghts grounds. There are a handful of states (New Jersey is one that I know of) that explicitly prohibit discrimination of goods and services based on age of anyone over 18 (most other states it's at 40 years old, or older). But I don't see such a lawsuit being successful. Dick's will either just pull all long guns from the stores in those states, or everyone under 21 will be "buying the gun for someone else.