what are the average per mile rates for LandStar Express America?

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
What are the average rates after fuel and deadhead miles for O/O working for LandStars Express America? I have been hauling double rv trailers for the past 4 years and i averaged $1.34 per mile after deadhead miles. I assume i am "upgrading" my career but i want to make sure. I go to orientation next week, but again maybe I should build another RV hauler if the grass is not greener on the other side. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Landstar Owner Operator Pay and Compensation not sure what the average pay rate is, fuel surcharge, and what percent the straight truck owner/operator makes
Each LEA agent is different with their pricing. Some high and some low. That will be your task to find out when running loads for each different agent. Fsc will be the same for all Landstar agents and will e same as the big truck side. Only difference will be is if that customer has a set rate for fsc then it will be usually at a %. Take many notes and ask slot of questions. THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU WHAT EACH AGENT PAYS PER MILE. THEY MAY TELL YOU WHAT THE CURRENT FSC IS. (Sorry for the all CAPS comment. It was aimed at explaining something rather than screaming at you.) Enjoy the ride. I did.

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
what is LEA and FSC stand for? althought i am new to landstar i have alittle experience booking my own loads with the rv hauling previous gig. can you give me any real word examples so i can compare? Outbound we would get $2.20 per mile and 300 miles of deadhead.... (that included fuel surcharge ect and they paid all permits and tolls). Inbound i averaged $.60-$1.20 per mile with also around 300 miles of deadhead..

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
LEA stands for Landstar Express America. FSC stands for Fuel Surcharge.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do you want to run for landstar? Why not drive for another company other than them?
Probably because of the Load board. If he is planning on using the Load board he won’t make it. He will starve. Those loads are mostly the cast off loads that the brokers can’t cover aka loser loads. JMHO.

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Why do you want to run for landstar? Why not drive for another company other than them?
Probably because of the Load board. If he is planning on using the Load board he won’t make it. He will starve. Those loads are mostly the cast off loads that the brokers can’t cover aka loser loads. JMHO.
So if i dont use the loadboard where else do i get my loads from? For straight truck expeditiors so far my research has pointed to LEA as the best highest paying option with best opportunities for o/o. If you have a better solution i'm all ears. So far their recruitment process has been a Fkn nightmare as well as the people i've dealt with at LS

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
who? i havnt found hints of better pay and closer proximity for any other straight truck companies that do interstate. However i'm new to this and learning.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What are the average rates after fuel and deadhead miles for O/O working for LandStars Express America? I have been hauling double rv trailers for the past 4 years and i averaged $1.34 per mile after deadhead miles. I assume i am "upgrading" my career but i want to make sure. I go to orientation next week, but again maybe I should build another RV hauler if the grass is not greener on the other side. Any advice would be really appreciated.

He goes to orientation next week.
These are questions I’d ask before starting the application process.

Reactions: TeamHutch

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

He goes to orientation next week.
These are questions I’d ask before starting the application process.
f7d7385b55e23b8358afc3806e7206597b38437549a7901014672c151e3d76df.jpg

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So if i dont use the loadboard where else do i get my loads from? For straight truck expeditiors so far my research has pointed to LEA as the best highest paying option with best opportunities for o/o. If you have a better solution i'm all ears. So far their recruitment process has been a Fkn nightmare as well as the people i've dealt with at LS
Since I worked for them for 9 1/2 yrs I should know where the loads come from. They come from the LEA express centers located all across the US. They call you when they have a load offer near your location and offer it to you. The LS Load board is mainly for the big truck side but you may get offers from a sister company agent. Each LEA agent or broker pays different. LEA requires a class b license with hazmat endorsement to run for them.
Landstar recruitment and well as Corp. are that way so get used to it. Also by the way they treat you professional and they expect you to be professional. They also give you enough rope to hang yourself too so be careful.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The pay per mile is all over the place! It depends a lot on the qualifications needed for the load, does it need liftgate, pallet jack, blanket wrap, government clearances and so on. Does the load need a team? How far does the load go and how fast does it need to be there. Knowing your costs, the willingness to deadhead to get to a better location and as Treadmill says being a professional and acting like a professional with the agents will help your rate per mile. Your all miles should be a lot better than 1.34 all miles but it is all up to you and how you fit into the system and how well you market yourself to agents. There is a lot to learn here but it sure is worth the effort and the longer here the better it gets.

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Heck try load 1

He’s doing $1.34 per mile including dh.
How would this compare to a newbie in a straight at L-1 ?
I am not sure i understand. what is L-1? Yes average including the fuel surcharge is $1.34 a mile includes all dh miles hauling 2 campers in a straight truck like setup, and a car on return. Want to make sure I am upgrading my career by going to LEA, not a downgrade. For the amount of obstacles and hurdles they have put in front of me i feel like i'm applying for a government career rather than owner operator ... i have to assume high pay (and opportunities) follow the higher standards that "QualStar" demands...running all over the state to get a inspection at their specific sites every 120 days ...well kinda sucks. Also the qualstar recruitment people do not seem to be very respectful, patient, or helpful.

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The pay per mile is all over the place! It depends a lot on the qualifications needed for the load, does it need liftgate, pallet jack, blanket wrap, government clearances and so on. Does the load need a team? How far does the load go and how fast does it need to be there. Knowing your costs, the willingness to deadhead to get to a better location and as Treadmill says being a professional and acting like a professional with the agents will help your rate per mile. Your all miles should be a lot better than 1.34 all miles but it is all up to you and how you fit into the system and how well you market yourself to agents. There is a lot to learn here but it sure is worth the effort and the longer here the better it gets.

thats awsome as i made the decision to change careers as I hit a ceiling regarding camper hauling, i need something that offers a bit more of a challenge and opportunity to make real money. Yes I know how to play the game and am a professional. Just want to be excited about this new change of pace and not set myself up for a worse outcome. Thanks for your reply.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck try load 1

He’s doing $1.34 per mile including dh.
How would this compare to a newbie in a straight at L-1 ?
I am not sure i understand. what is L-1? Yes average including the fuel surcharge is $1.34 a mile includes all dh miles hauling 2 campers in a straight truck like setup, and a car on return. Want to make sure I am upgrading my career by going to LEA, not a downgrade. For the amount of obstacles and hurdles they have put in front of me i feel like i'm applying for a government career rather than owner operator ... i have to assume high pay (and opportunities) follow the higher standards that "QualStar" demands...running all over the state to get a inspection at their specific sites every 120 days ...well kinda sucks. Also the qualstar recruitment people do not seem to be very respectful, patient, or helpful.
One thing you have understand. These peoples Ls who handle qualifications only get paid when they get a driver approved. I once asked one of the qualifications rep. what was he %of qualified
applicants and I was told 1 in 20 applicants gets hired on. They are under a lot of pressure. Also the 120 day insp cations are paid by Landstar and are located throughout the country.

Reactions: TeamCaffee