remember as soon as you d salt your unit

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
remember as soon as you can de salt your unit, get salt wash off of unit to keep from getting eaten up. this liquid salt is rough on everything. check your lights and connector for bad connection . be safe out there.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you take small cargo vans and the like to a Blue Beacon? I sometimes see RV's and dually's pulling travel trailers so I don't know why not. Most (not all) Blue Beacons have an undercarriage wash. It sprays under the chasis really well. I sometimes wash my semi weekly in the winter when running thru areas that the highways have been treated. That undercarriage wash will go a long way to help keeping your truck from rotting out sooner than it should.

One thing I always avoid is an engine wash though. I don't trust their high or low pressure water anywhere around electronics under the hood. Mainly my concern is the ECM and that harness. It's best to rinse that off with an ordinary water hose and soap or degreaser at home every now and then.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can you take small cargo vans and the like to a Blue Beacon?
Absolutely. Blue Beacon, Eagle Truck Wash, the Turtle Truck Wash in Oak Grove, that one across the street from the J in Texarkana, and in Knoxville. Not a single truck wash has even thought it unusual when I pull in there. It's hella cheap for a van, for the most part, depending on location. Most I've paid is $28, least is $10.

The neat thing about a van is, by the time I'm finished paying, the van is usually ready to roll. The other night Michigan to Wichita, I stopped at the Blue Beacon at about 1AM in Effingham. No trucks in the building, I pulled up, the doors opened, I pulled in, Wash and RainX it, I paid, waited 30 seconds, van's ready, back on the road. Literally 10 minutes from off ramp to back on the road. :D

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's cheap. I'm out $115+/- every time :confused2: I always get rainx treatment on the truck and trailer too it's good stuff. Seems to really make the unit shine. If the truck is parked during a rainshower after having been treated with rainx and not terribly dirty it will actually look like it has been washed after the rain stops and it dries.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tractor and trailer, with RainX, yeah, that's serious money.

I can't remember the exact breakdown, but at Effingham I paid $24.50 and I think the wash was $18 and the RainX was $6.50. Close, anyway. I think for lower cargo vans it's $16, and for higher ones, and the van RVs, it's $18.

The prices are mostly standard across all the Blue Beacons. The Eagle Truck Washes are about the same for tractors and trailers, but they are usually $15 for a van. And they use long handled brushes and hand mitts, which I like. Turtle's Truck Wash in Oak Grove is $15 for a van.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm pretty leery now of blue beacon for my Sprinter after past experiences. Their high pressure and acid (or what ever they use) usually does more harm then good. I need more of a gentle wash, so I don't leave with just the frame :rolleyes:

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle

Can one buy a truck from Michigan that is ok no much salt damage ?

I am looking at one right now it looks ok but has some rust

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
a5e0f1233119c80969a09165b5770b20.jpg

c024444da37019557176529de6f707a8.jpg

19ee043723cf3feb085973372132c6ba.jpg

6cf8e7d74f9adc8339cd3b54fde252bd.jpg

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’m not as qualified to answer, but I personally wouldn’t worry.
Not on that truck.
A Sprinter, with much thinner/ lighter duty parts, would have to be thoroughly inspected.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Was in line at the Beacon when I read this. Undercarriage on a tractor is $6 extra. Even if the company doesn't pay for it, I'd say it's worth getting, especially if you were in Michigan earlier this week.