expediting in non cdl straight truck?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have seen a few of these regular "day cab" straight trucks with the front of the trailer converted into a sleeper and im wondering what someone could expect from becoming an O/O of one of these. Im very attracted to the fact that there is way more of these on the market and that i can find them used for a lot less than the CDL sraights used.

I am looking to team with someone who does not have there CDL, i know that we must follow DOT rules that a van does not have to such as logs and weigh stations. I do have my CDL but im looking for something with a smaller initial investment, i will go with some kind of van if this make sense.

Im not totally sure what im asking specifically, im just looking for any info on these non cdl straight trucks place in expediting....how they do mile wise, ease of getting on with a company, rate per mile compared to CDL straights, and any other info you could possibly give me on it. Thanks.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TST may be involved with the sales.
This may limit the ability to take them to another carrier.
It’s easier to repo a truck when they dispatch you.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read the op again.
Surprised that you see many on the used market.
Historically, the ones I’ve noticed are Carnies or HHG Movers.
Probably not the more comfortable accommodations, but if you’re “comfortably numb” do you really care ?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Read the op again.
Surprised that you see many on the used market.
Historically, the ones I’ve noticed are Carnies or HHG Movers.
Probably not the more comfortable accommodations, but if you’re “comfortably numb” do you really care ?
I dont mean used daycab trucks set up for expediting, i just mean daycab straight trucks period. search "straight truck on any craiglist board and what comes up is what im talking about. Like a large penske moving truck. (no not the cubes acting as vans)

And no, its not as comfortable, but its massively cheaper of an investment if there were loads for them since they for sure cant carry as much weight.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking it's a weight issue! I'm thinking your not going to be able to find enough loads to accommodate your truck. I could be wrong though.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don’t think that’s it.
If you find a 33000 lb truck it should haul more than a 33000 lb truck with a Bolt or AA sleeper.
Even an under CDL , 25,999,should be light enough to haul a large number of loads.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I just did some research, the biggest 25999 with the 24' trailer weights about 13-14k empty. Depending on the model. So saying i use the front 4 ft to make a sleeper and well say i have 1k in non freight weight. Thats about 10k of capacity with space for 10 skids....please correct me if im wrong. May have to go a little below that since the axle balancing may be a little off with my "sleeper".

My only other question, i know the DOT has rules about sleepers and they need to be dot approved sleepers for cdl trucks...does that apply for these under 26k trucks as well, or are they treated like a van in that aspect?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Penske website shows a 26 ft truck at 10,000 payload.
Stay away from automotive freight and most straight truck loads don’t get near 10,000 lbs.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The under CDL truck that I have seen out there(regular trucks with sleeper, not the ones with the sleeper in the box) can haul around 8k lbs. In my 33k lbs straight I can haul 12k but at that weight it gets difficult to balance the load so the rear axle is not overweight. So I am listed at 10k. This way if I show up at a shipper for a 10k load and the load grew to 11k I can still do it and be legal.
That being said, rarely I do a 10k load. Most of them are around 5k.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dc843

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
DOT has rules about sleepers and they need to be dot approved sleepers for cdl trucks...
DOT has rules for sleepers in all CMVs (Commercial Motor Vehicles - i.e., 10,001 or more pounds) regardless of whether the vehicle requires a CDL to drive.

Reactions: dc843 and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TST is involved with the sales. I don't know if they sell these without signing on with TST. I believe they also do the converting at their facility in Woodhaven. What better place to hack up a truck than the old Alumabunk building.

Reactions: RoadTime and dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
DOT has rules about sleepers and they need to be dot approved sleepers for cdl trucks...
DOT has rules for sleepers in all CMVs (Commercial Motor Vehicles - i.e., 10,001 or more pounds) regardless of whether the vehicle requires a CDL to drive.
Thank you turtle. Thats the piece i was missing as to why this isnt more popular to do.

It still may make financial sense to do over the normal straight trucks, depending on how much the cost will be to convert into a DOT approved sleeper and all the inspection fees and what not for the DOT.

Plus finding a teammate locally would be easier under CDL since trucking isnt exactly big business here in Myrtle Beach.

For now ill go back to the trusty Promaster and keep saving up.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
The under CDL truck that I have seen out there(regular trucks with sleeper, not the ones with the sleeper in the box) can haul around 8k lbs. In my 33k lbs straight I can haul 12k but at that weight it gets difficult to balance the load so the rear axle is not overweight. So I am listed at 10k. This way if I show up at a shipper for a 10k load and the load grew to 11k I can still do it and be legal.
That being said, rarely I do a 10k load. Most of them are around 5k.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I mostly seen these trucks too, but i did see one like im talking about with a small window in the front of the trailer, and a mom and pop expediting company logo on the doors, thats what gave me the idea but it seems like im better off getting the ones with the built in sleeper already.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you run solo, you don’t need a DOT approved sleeper.
You can section off a few feet and sleep on a piece of cardboard if you want.
As long as you log your time as off duty. Ten hours off duty constitutes a legal break. Even if you rest across the steering wheel.
No where in the regs does it say you MUST be in a sleeper.
You lose the ability to use the 8-2 split break.
Very few people understand it well enough to use it.
Save your money, buy a truck with a real sleeper.
Keep your options open, enjoy the better resale value.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Legal sleeper Berth requirements in a property carrying CMV are often misunderstood, both in construction and in use as required by the regulations related to HOS. 395.1(g) say, in part, that a driver of a CMV must, before driving, accumulate (1) at least 10 consecutive hours off duty; (2) at least 10 consecutive hours of sleeper berth time; A combination of consecutive sleeper-berth and off duty time amounting to at least 10 hours; (4) The equivalent of at least 10 consecutive hours off duty if the driver does not comply with paragraphs (1), (2) or (3) above.

On-duty time includes many work related instances including time in or on a CMV, other than time time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, time spent in a sleeper-berth.

So, BSJr appears to correct that you may sleep on a piece of cardboard or on the seats [in a parked vehicle] ; however the regs do say that you must be in a sleeper [in a moving vehicle]

BTW, before building a sleeper in any 10001 or greater vehicle, the regulations should be consulted to ensure that the minimum requirements are met.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
If you run solo, you don’t need a DOT approved sleeper.
You can section off a few feet and sleep on a piece of cardboard if you want.
As long as you log your time as off duty. Ten hours off duty constitutes a legal break. Even if you rest across the steering wheel.
No where in the regs does it say you MUST be in a sleeper.
You lose the ability to use the 8-2 split break.
Very few people understand it well enough to use it.
Save your money, buy a truck with a real sleeper.
Keep your options open, enjoy the better resale value.
So you do need the DOT sleeper if you are running teams?
I eventually want to get a true expediting straight truck but i dont have the capital/credit to do that right now. Probably will just keep running sprinter, keep my CDL active, and move up when i can.

Or maybe just find an owner for a straight, I cant deal with van owners anymore but straight truck owners seem to be a little bit more laid off with the micro management since they are a little more stable work wise.