Frito Lay Sprinter - Is this a 16 or 18 ft box?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Aero add-ons for box truck - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Saw a transit Frito Lay in Atlanta the other day in the snow, boxes seem narrower then a regular box truck and longer which seems more the way I would like to go on next truck. Did a little research and I believe the bodies are made by Morgan, Sprinter - Morgan Olson

How hard would it be to find a 2015 Sprinter Frito lay in a 4 cylinder if they even make them, maybe 6 would be the way to go given the weight of the box. I think if I could have that kinda capacity and get 20 mpg I'd be content. According to the Morgan site they make the boxes up to 22 ft long. Would these Frito Lay Vans have to stop at scales?

Last edited:
Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've always been interested in these as well. MB makes a 9900 chassis cab.
The appeal here for me is the flat floor. Along with better load capicity.
The 4.10 rear gears would be a slight fuel penalty (3.90 standard) but with extra capacity might be livable.
A penality in toll cost would be present (rear duals).
Tire size would be another problem (lt215/75r/16) not common nor readily available.

Perusing the link the biggest problem is quickly presented "large fleet orders only". Which pretty much knocks those like myself right out the picture.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 4.10 rear gears would be a slight fuel penalty (3.90 standard) but with extra capacity might be livable.
Tire size would be another problem (lt215/75r/16) not common nor readily available.

Perusing the link the biggest problem is quickly presented "large fleet orders only". Which pretty much knocks those like myself right out the picture.

For the type of loads I do it would be perfect and I could even put a sleeper with twin bed in the box behind the cab. I guess the minimum is probably 50 or 100, if it were only 10 would probably be possible to get a group buy going. Most would have to go out and purchase a box truck or a Sprinter 3500 w/o a box or even a Transit works like the one I saw in Atlanta last week. I imagine I will be giving Frito Lay a call or visit soon in Plano to get the details if they get rid of trucks or sell after a certain age, might have a opportunity that way. I would want the longest box possible 18 or 20. The more space the better and economy would be 20-22 mpg give or take a step up from the 9-12 you get on a class 6 truck. ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

For the type of loads I do it would be perfect and I could even put a sleeper with twin bed in the box behind the cab. I guess the minimum is probably 50 or 100, if it were only 10 would probably be possible to get a group buy going. Most would have to go out and purchase a box truck or a Sprinter 3500 w/o a box or even a Transit works like the one I saw in Atlanta last week. I imagine I will be giving Frito Lay a call or visit soon in Plano to get the details if they get rid of trucks or sell after a certain age, might have a opportunity that way. I would want the longest box possible 18 or 20. The more space the better and economy would be 20-22 mpg give or take a step up from the 9-12 you get on a class 6 truck. ;)

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Talked to a guy in Greensboro once had a box sprinter. Ran a lot up to Jersey. Can't remember exactly but I don't believe he said his mileage was inna 20's. High teens I believe.
Course he did say he was a 70mph+ kinda guy. NO windscreen in front of the box either.
Might be, could be, maybe....... possible?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do they weigh empty?

If they are anything like the ones Frito Lay has in Canada...with no bunk or personal affects you'll be good for 700 lbs of payload on a very weak aluminum floor.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dual rear wheels will also add extra tire costs, a hit on fuel mileage and an extra 150 lbs. or so.

Doesn't bother me I'm just trying to hit the sweet spot between the extended Sprinter and a class 6 truck. At $3 a mile on the current load I'm on (158 Sprinter) I can make up for the extra cost :) The extra space will mean more $. Pay to play!

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
He he he Stars inna eyes, rose buds inna pocket?
Like looking at the pretty girl flashing her petticoats at you???
Hhhmmmmm?

[Yeah I know now days, the skirt barely covers the butt, & usually no underpants on that. But that ain't poetic.]

I just looked at one (transit) just a minute ago @ the t/stop I'm in. Low intrusion of the wheel wells (guy said sprinterhas that too.
Nice roomy box thought.

The rest of your crap will remain unaddressed. Thus no embarrassing envy will be displayed. Nor chastisement of self for failing to find my own little "niche" while meandering out here with the other lemmings.
"Where's that damn cliff? I know I saw it, heard roar of ocean too!

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Where would that be? I've only ever seen tolls based on number of axles. I wouldn't put it past them as an added price gouging though.

Specifically the G.W.B, I know to in just a normal van on the WV turnpike you hit the EZpass lanes it's $2 go through a regular lane it's $2.85. stands to reason they'll jack it up when they see duals.
I'm sure there's others.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FWI, the GWB toll is based on vehicle type number of axles on that vehicle and the peak or non-peak hours. EZ Pas use is always cheaper than cash. The WVA turnpike is also based on vehicle type and number of axles. EZ Pass for a two axle truck is $2.60, cash price is 3.25. Wheels per axle has no bearing on the cost.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sounds like Ohio, got fussed at one day cause of that (thought she was crazy, ranting like I'd stolen a baby or something).
Virginia doesn't segregate like that. Sent Indiana back their EZ an went with Virginia. Easier to defend with home state rules, and never stray out of the EZ lanes.
Precludes the excess harassment.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are talking trucks here not tolls, they named it EZ Pass for a reason because its easy to pass through :D

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dual rear wheels will also add extra tire costs, a hit on fuel mileage and an extra 150 lbs. or so.

At $3 per mile ?
I imagine it’s unusual, or short miles.
If it was common/ profitable you wouldn’t be T270 Dreaming you’d be T270 Spending.

Doesn't bother me I'm just trying to hit the sweet spot between the extended Sprinter and a class 6 truck. At $3 a mile on the current load I'm on (158 Sprinter) I can make up for the extra cost :) The extra space will mean more $. Pay to play!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At $3 per mile ?
I imagine it’s unusual, or short miles.
If it was common/ profitable you wouldn’t be T270 Dreaming you’d be T270 Spending.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spending always comes at the right time... wouldn't call it short miles. Closer to 3000 miles per run all said an done.