Frito Lay Sprinter - Is this a 16 or 18 ft box?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep .. 16 ft.box Frito chip Sprinter... start practicing them Log Book skills .. you will need them ... even U-Ship peddlers ...

another day .. another pond

Reactions: DollarSign

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw one heading north on the 87 south of Albany other day on 14+ Sprinter chassis. Anyone that can confirm the empty weight of the a Frito Lay van with Morgan Olsen box? I think these boxes will continue to get lighter in upcoming years hopefully under 10k to avoid logging.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think these boxes will continue to get lighter in upcoming years hopefully under 10k to avoid logging.
The cargo boxes might get lighter in the future but the GVWR of the chassis probably won't get below 10,000 lbs. If the GVWR dropped below 10,000 you would be lucky to legally haul 1500 lbs. of freight, unless you painted the whole thing yellow.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think these boxes will continue to get lighter in upcoming years hopefully under 10k to avoid logging.
The cargo boxes might get lighter in the future but the GVWR of the chassis probably won't get below 10,000 lbs. If the GVWR dropped below 10,000 you would be lucky to legally haul 1500 lbs. of freight, unless you painted the whole thing yellow.

I’m confused.
Do people really think the Frito Lay version would be 2500 lbs heavier than the Load 1 TransBlimp ?
Built to haul hundreds of pounds, not thousands of pounds, I would imagine aluminum floor, etc.
And why hasn’t Moot or some of the wittier people come up with a cute name for Steve’s creation ?

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I’m confused.
Do people really think the Frito Lay version would be 2500 lbs heavier than the Load 1 TransBlimp ?
Built to haul hundreds of pounds, not thousands of pounds, I would imagine aluminum floor, etc.
And why hasn’t Moot or some of the wittier people come up with a cute name for Steve’s creation ?

Morgan Olsen would have the correct answers to the manufacturing specifications and materials used.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m confused.
Don't be Confused ...
Newbies or Vanwantabies get excited when they think More Box Size Equals More Skids available to haul .. means more money ... BUT
Veteran Vanners and Str-8 O/OP ... understand GVW and Cat Scale TRUE empty weight .. plus overweight poor MPG ..
higher maintenance costs because of vehicle abused ..
Yeah i like many other Veteran drivers just roll our eyes and laugh ... because we have had Sliced Bread ...
I could claim to win the Powerball and boast it in your face ... but a Picture of Me holding the check at the Lottery Office will Hold alot More Credibility... IMO ..

another day .. another pond

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand your thought process.

My confusion, is how the Frito Lay MegaVan would haul 1500 lbs when Steve’s hauls 4,000 if I remember correctly.
And I would think the FritoLay unit may be built lighter as they aren’t looking for the max payload.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m confused.
Looks like you out witted the wittier people unless someone else coined that name.

Reactions: Grizzly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My confusion, is how the Frito Lay MegaVan would haul 1500 lbs when Steve’s hauls 4,000 if I remember correctly.
Your confusion could stem from the introduction of Westy's Transit into a Munchiemobile thread concerning logging. These are two different vehicle types built for different operations. Westy's Transit is built for over the road expediting and the Munchiemobile is for route deliveries where logging isn't a concern.

The OP's link shows a Sprinter chassis with a Morgan box. Difficult to gauge the box dimensions but the chassis is a dual rear wheel with a GVWR that is probably in the 11,500 neighborhood. If the GVWR was under 10,000 or de-rated to avoid logging and scales, the payload would be reduced. I'm guessing two 16" tires and steel wheels would weigh in about 150 lbs. Westy's Transit is built on a SRW chassis and what looks to be aluminum wheels.

And I would think the FritoLay unit may be built lighter as they aren’t looking for the max payload.
Possible, but when stuffed full of munchies, merchandise displays, hand truck and other junk, the van is probably near maximum weight when leaving the distribution center. Also these are fleet vans, used in local delivery routes loaded and unloaded daily. Driven by company drivers who probably aren't hand picked for their driving skills.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talk about trying to complicate the simple.

My only thought was why would two probably similar size vehicles have one with 4000 payload and the other a 1500 payload in similar operations ?

Thinking the alum floor Munchiemobile May have a lighter tare than the sleeper equipped, wooden floored, TransBlimp.

Racks, displays, etc wouldn’t play into it.

And do you really think FritoLay would hire a lower quality driver than say Opel, who’d put anyone in his van if they’d show up ?

You’re a smart dude, but sometimes you slip into that van logic.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk about trying to complicate the simple.

My only thought was why would two probably similar size vehicles have one with 4000 payload and the other a 1500 payload in similar operations ?
It is simple! It seems you can't grasp the fact that about the only commonality with these two vans is size. One is used in OTR expedite and the other is a fleet spec'd city delivery van. One is built on an SRW chassis and the other on a DRW chassis.

If you really want to know why Steve's Transit has a payload of 4000 lbs. read this thread, there is even a free video included: https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/the-latest-new-load-one-custom.70128/

As for the Frito Lay van, the OP's link only provides a picture. The OP isn't even sure of the box length. Morgan's website isn't very forthcoming with details. All we can do is speculate based on a picture of the van. One certainty is it is built on a DRW chassis. The OP was concerned about logging if he were to purchase a van like the one pictured. If this van is over 10,000 lbs. GVWR (which I'm sure it is) then logging would be required if operated beyond 100 air mile radius. If this van had a GVWR under 10,000 lbs. as Steve's Transit is, no logging would be required. Apparently the Frito van is 2 to 4 feet longer than Steve's Transit. Steve mentioned that to add two more feet in length to his Transit would add about 200 lbs./ft. I would think that Frito Lay, who had hundreds of these Sprinters built from a fleet perspective would probably forgo shaving weight over strength and durability that a city delivery vehicle would endure. Add two extra tires and steel wheels and a 1500 pound payload would probably be pushing the 10,000 lbs limit. That's just my thoughts. You're the van expert.

Thinking the alum floor Munchiemobile May have a lighter tare than the sleeper equipped, wooden floored, TransBlimp.
I'm still of the opinion that Frito Lay spec'd these to withstand the rigors of city delivery. Even the aluminum flooring is probably a heavier gauge than Steve's, especially if the box is 2 to 4 feet longer.

Racks, displays, etc wouldn’t play into it.
Any thing in the van plays into the total weight.

And do you really think FritoLay would hire a lower quality driver than say Opel, who’d put anyone in his van if they’d show up ?
I'm not familiar with Opel's hiring standards. The employees who drive these Sprinters are merchandisers/sales people and some of their compensation is probably commission based. My guess is most of their work day consists of loading their van and stocking store shelves. Maybe 25% of their time is behind the wheel.

You’re a smart dude, but sometimes you slip into that van logic.
This thread is or was about vans, hence the van logic.;)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you look carefully (and I have)... Steve's units are constructed quite differently than the average box unit....and with very expedite things/thinking at the core of the design. The chip trucks are much more conventional and are also designed for the rigors of mainly urban delivery use. You can build 2 different 22ft boxes for a straight truck with one weighing thousands of pounds more than the other...based on what they do.

Steve's units may not be everyone's cup of tea...but there is some seriously smart thinking and execution in their design....not just head in the clouds pondering.

Reactions: westmicher

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I understand your thought process.

Hhhmm?! They might not be using the 9950 (9900 sprinter) chassis. I looked in one & quizzed the driver. It's intriguing, like the L1 thing. No one's tried it since it's a fleet only sales. Wheel wells intrude much less than a cube.