Cargo Van Truck stop news

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The T/A below Nashville (i24 xit62) has surprised me today with a new (to me) feature for us.
I.e. dedicated expediter parking spaces (11 of them to be exact).
Complete with signage so stating.

This t/s was never an option due to excess bob-tail presence up to now.
Just thought others would like to know.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The T/A below Nashville (i24 xit62) has surprised me today with a new (to me) feature for us.

Yep, it's been there a while now. I like it and the guard there will move unwanted people from parking there.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That's encouraging to hear D.sign.

Gave up on this place long ago. But since you hear so much negative about various places it's nice to hear where we're actually considered.

Plus it's important to avail oneself of said consideration lest it be taken away from lack of use.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A little late to the party. This was done about 6-9 months ago if not longer.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
IMHO this is the best place to park at a truck stop! Since I live in Nashville I should know, LOL. The Pilot at ext 64 is horribly too small and the Pilot in Murfreesboro is a second choice but not great. Ive got driver that i talk to, he tells me to park at the TA in downtown Nashville. It's suppose to be cleaned up but I told him I'll pass!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This stems from an incident that happened at the Ontario, California twin TAs (before one of them became a Petro). Cargo vans were routinely kicked off the lots there, and after being kicked off the lot I was on the phone with someone at TA Corporate regarding a completely unrelated issue. I casually asked of those two particular TAs were corporate owned or if they ere franchises. They are all corporate. Long story short, the next day I got a call from someone really high up at the TA, followed by calls from the managers at both TAs in Ontario, and that day they had specifica parking spaces set aside for expediters, and within a few weeks nearly every location had painted a big E on each expediter parking space, and/or posted explicit signs for expediters. At some locations those Es also mean Employee spaces, but those are locations that expressly have no problems with expediters.

Still, every now and then you run into something weird, usually in places where cargo van expediters aren't routine. Last July I was at the TA in Sparks (Reno), NV and I found a note on my windshield that said I'd be towed in 24 hours. I called the district manager listed on the bottom of a receipt, and he wasn't all that familiar with expedite cargo vans, either. I explained who I was and what we do. It didn't hurt that I mentioned I had stayed the previous week at the Petro in Vegas, at the Bob and Linda Caffee Stopping Center, who I know and that they are also expediters. He remembered them as he was there at the opening dedication ceremony. He said I could stay there as long as I wanted. :D

The TA on 1st Street in downtown Nashville is actually really nice, especially since the remodel after the flooding. Still, I feel claustrophobic when parked down in there. Plus, the fact that it could flood again is always in the back of my mind. I prefer the one in La Vergne. I've more than once gone to the Pilot for a Subway and then gone back up to the TA to park.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Ok everyone, here's the update at the Petro in Ontario CA. If your an expediter even in a cargo van you must pay $20 to park for 24 hours. You can buy things that equal $20 still get a pass.

I called the home office and told them that it's not right for us "cargo van" to pay to park. I've never had to pay to park at a truck stop. The reason there doing this is cause theres been too many locals that have complained that they would like to stop and shop, but there's no parking.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ok everyone, here's the update at the Petro in Ontario CA. If your an expediter even in a cargo van you must pay $20 to park for 24 hours. You can buy things that equal $20 still get a pass.

I called the home office and told them that it's not right for us "cargo van" to pay to park. I've never had to pay to park at a truck stop. The reason there doing this is cause theres been too many locals that have complained that they would like to stop and shop, but there's no parking.

People want to park and shop at a truck stop? Who are they buying gifts for, transients or the weird cat lady down the street?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ontario is in such a rural area that there’s not many other places nearby to shop or eat.

Hahaha. I just went to the biggest Chinese buffet outside of Chinatown San Fran, I'm guessing. Location? In a super duper shopping area across I-10 from the Ontario Petro and TA. So unless you've accidently left your sarcasm on, your info is seriously outdated.

:assassin:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Luxe Buffet ?
If you didn’t want to go South under the tracks to Farmer Boys, you could have headed north to Inn&Out, I-Hop, Luxe, KFC, Firehouse Subs, A Cheesesteak place, American Grill, and up at 4th Street, Olive Garden, Pollo Loco, and a Baskin Robbins.
And a great place whose name escapes me, 2 blocks up on east side. Like a Bakers Square, really good Prime Rib and Bakery items.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I’d head over to the beach and park there.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Luxe Buffet ?
If you didn’t want to go South under the tracks to Farmer Boys, you could have headed north to Inn&Out, I-Hop, Luxe, KFC, Firehouse Subs, A Cheesesteak place, American Grill, and up at 4th Street, Olive Garden, Pollo Loco, and a Baskin Robbins.
And a great place whose name escapes me, 2 blocks up on east side. Like a Bakers Square, really good Prime Rib and Bakery items.

Yes, Luxe. Dang that is good stuff!

I love Ontario. Anyplace that is built for trucks is alright by me.

And I figured you were being sarcastic. :crazy_pilot

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMHO this is the best place to park at a truck stop! Since I live in Nashville I should know, LOL. The Pilot at ext 64 is horribly too small and the Pilot in Murfreesboro is a second choice but not great. Ive got driver that i talk to, he tells me to park at the TA in downtown Nashville. It's suppose to be cleaned up but I told him I'll pass!

That place is kinda rough. I would never stop there for anything. It was even worse before a flood several years ago destroyed the old T/A that was there. The old one was really a dump. They arrested a serial killer trucker there several years ago. That story was all in the news I think there were even some ID channel shows about the case.

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

That place is kinda rough. I would never stop there for anything. It was even worse before a flood several years ago destroyed the old T/A that was there. The old one was really a dump. They arrested a serial killer trucker there several years ago. That story was all in the news I think there were even some ID channel shows about the case.
The TA at ext 62 is the best place to park. The downtown one not so good. Just has a bad feel the last time I was there and that was a stop and go.

Reactions: rollincoal

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I’d head over to the beach and park there.

Head over to the Beach ?
Care to explain ?
There’s a little campground, on the beach, just West of LAX. I think 38’ spaces. Also, Ontario to LAX is often 2.5 - 3 hours.
Add another hour to get to the water near Oxnard, up 101. Where the accessible beach that I’ve know of starts.
Do you have any accessible beach areas nearby that I missed ?
I prefer my beach to be near the water.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An adventure trip for Vans in Ontario.
A few exits west on 10, head north on Mountain Ave.
About 20 miles total you’ll be up the mountain to a low end ski area.
The campground, Manker Flats is like $12 per nite.
If winter be ready to Chain up.
Seriously. Trust me.

Edit: campground closed in winter. They have a website.

Last edited:
Reactions: DollarSign