Electric Expediter Vans

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
electric.jpg

With Ryder System, Inc. announcing it has begun taking delivery of its first 125 Chanje V8070 all-electric commercial panel vans, what's different about this Class 5 vehicle aimed squarely at last-mile, urban and metro-area delivery?

Does it and other electric trucks have any real chance to take on the diesel-powered competition?

Read More...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like to keep an open mind. But I think this is way too soon. Not enough maintenance and service centers to support the electric vans operation. In my opinion, it's not cost effective. May be in about 20 years...May be.

Interestingly, the dude that sold the ice to the Eskimos, closed the sales with Ryder. Lol....Oops!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I like to keep an open mind. But I think this is way too soon. Not enough maintenance and service centers to support the electric vans operation. In my opinion, it's not cost effective. May be in about 20 years...May be.

Interestingly, the dude that sold the ice to the Eskimos, closed the sales with Ryder. Lol....Oops!
But you live in Kalifornia where it will be a law soon anyway

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But you live in Kalifornia where it will be a law soon anyway

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Yep ! Soon=20 years. Lol......

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A Google search of "electric van" indicates a number of manufactures are moving in this direction. Because they are more agile and can more-easily get to a plug-in to recharge, vans may lead the way to electric commercial transportation (and to driverless commercial transportation as that technology is applied).

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Nobody gives any thought to how you'd POWER these bad boys. Californians are all rushing to buy this stuff, but the amount of KwH electricity to charge up a car or van is pretty steep. And they're all going to want to charge these overnight -- putting a big strain on the grid. Exactly at the time when solar panels are sitting in the dark -- whoopsie!

I foresee places with high densities of electric vehicles starting to have power supply issues 10 years from now.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nobody gives any thought to how you'd POWER these bad boys. Californians are all rushing to buy this stuff, but the amount of KwH electricity to charge up a car or van is pretty steep. And they're all going to want to charge these overnight -- putting a big strain on the grid. Exactly at the time when solar panels are sitting in the dark -- whoopsie!

I foresee places with high densities of electric vehicles starting to have power supply issues 10 years from now.
I read a good article recently about home charging. I'll look for it & post a link.

Basically .. Tesla has developed glass roof shingles that will operate as solar panels. Batteries, let's say in one's garage, will store power during the day .. making charging at night possible. It'll help avoid peak consumption issues.

If it's not apparent, the engineers at Tesla are pretty sharp ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
So with the recent announcement from Tesla regarding the electric Tractor, I can see an electric MB Sprinter right around the corner.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The MB Sprinter will being coming around the corner a lot sooner than the Tesla tractor and won't require a large pre-delivery deposit.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The MB Sprinter will being coming around the corner a lot sooner than the Tesla tractor and won't require a large pre-delivery deposit.
Agreed. I think there's more immediate opportunity in the van/small truck segment. R&D, current vehicle range, charging, cost ... I think they all point to urban, smaller vehicles coming first. Oh & most importantly of all ... suckers to buy in.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Moot

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Always the cart before the horse. Aka the Microsoft mentality = just get it out there, we'll fix it later.

Someone spoke of this elsewhere recently. How the Lng/Lpg potential just got rolled over and trampled in the "EV" stampede.

I thought this was a far better option as we (US) have huge reserves. Throw in Canada it's even more.
No strain on our feeble electric grid either.
In this stampede the herd has failed to see the cliff.
Specifically speaking as the winter storms roll in dropping power lines (or hurricanes / tornado's) where's the juice coming from ?
In Florida the golf carts are first to drop by the wayside in disasters.