Need help deciding on repair

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I could legally put around 3200 lbs in my sprinter (low roof, medium length) but I can count on one hand how many times I put 2600 or 2700 lbs in there. If it was more than 2500 I did not want it. Maybe that is the reason that my sprinter still has the original engine, transmission and rear end at 774k miles. Unfortunately, I only drive it once a month to the dump and back so I don't think it will pass 776k before it rusts away.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hdxpedx

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just had it done about 8000 miles ago along with my oil change, and tire rotation.
8,000 mi ago? So around 200K? Probably too late, especially hauling heavy loads. Fate may have been sealed by then ....

I'm not familiar with the 2015 maintenance schedule but my 2008 ncv3 says 180K for rear diff fluid. I usually change mine around 150K ..

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the low cost of reared fluid I changed mine at the same time as the transmission around 50k maybe that was overkill but at 1.2 million miles I guess it worked out for the best

Reactions: ucfd608

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the low cost of reared fluid I changed mine at the same time as the transmission around 50k maybe that was overkill but at 1.2 million miles I guess it worked out for the best
Now we're talking about 3 different generations of sprinters ...
What's the interval on rear diff fluid change in yours?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
I believe but don't quote me...about 70K...? Steady or turtle / flyingvan may know off the top of head...

WorldPowerTuning

New Recruit
Mechanic
There are 2 rear end ratios on the sprinters a 392 and a 411 if i remember correctly. The TCU will need to be updated if you swap them.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what I have found out over the year's you have some shippers who try to put more on a truck than It can carry doesn't matter the unit , some try to over load, and cut down on paying for the right unit. so you have to know your unit to make sure you don't over load it

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've been doing some thinking on this and since your van is a 2015 I would agree with others and went with the new one. I know it's $8500 but look at the long term.

I've got a 2012 and I'm already in decision mode. If engine goes, transmission goes, rear end ect. That's basically what a new strip down Sprinter cost. I've thought about piecing it out meaning buying one thing a year and keep the same van. Who knows as it's not been determined yet. Hope it's not for a few years LOL.