Need help deciding on repair

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I need a new rear assembly for my 2015 2500 mercedes sprinter. 209000 miles, and I blew out the rearend. Brand new from Mercedes is $8500, rebuilt one with 100 thousand mile warranty is $6200, and used one with 30 thousand miles has a 90 day warranty for $3500. I've put 170000 miles on it in the past 13 months, and I was slow for 3 months, and had 3 weeks dowmtime for hitting a deer, and alternator replacement. Which would you go with, and why?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-04-11-54-58.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-04-11-54-58.png
    1 MB · Views: 42

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the used one, providing the seller is reputable. Is the housing broke? It may be good to have a gear shop find out what component failed. If the housing is good, it could be one spline that failed.
How or what led to the rear end failing?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing too heavy of a load time and time again. The inside is shredded per mercedes

Everytime I see van guys in our carrier loading 2500 pound loads and I shake my head.. thar load needed to go to to a small Straight not van and worse you get paid $1/mile to haul it

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app
2500 is ok in about 50% of sprinters
There is not a SINGLE wheel sprinter made that can handle 3500 lbs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've already told them no more heavy loads. It's the double loading that kills it. Plus my payload says 3500 pounds
For a single wheel drive?
I think your math is off a bit.... IF you were strip down empty you might weigh 5,000 lbs but I highly have doubts... get a FULL tank of fuel , all your traveling items stay in van yourself and scale the van...and am betting you’d be at least 5800-6100 lbs ... your door sticker should read your gross weight like mine is 8550 so at 6,000 my payload is 2550 lbs
Best of luck...

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went with the used rearend, and I'll check my door sticker, and you are probably right. Need to keep the loads off the back end too. That's my fault though. Lesson learned the hard, and expensive way. Thanks again

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you need to do is weigh your van empty and subtract that weight from the manufacturer's posted GVWR. That's the maximum weight you should carry. Its clueless people like you that keep van rates low. If you can't make money hauling legally and safely find another line of work.

Reactions: ntimevan

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you need to do is weigh your van empty and subtract that weight from the manufacturer's posted GVWR. That's the maximum weight you should carry. Its clueless people like you that keep van rates low. If you can't make money hauling legally and safely find another line of work.

Maybe I should buy a straight, but you would still be butt hurt!!

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have one in our carrier, that runs loads for 65 cents a mile carrying 2500 pounds in a little van.. I don't understand how you actually accept to take $800 dollars for a run to California a total of 1300 miles it's mind boggling

Reactions: hdxpedx

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have one in our carrier, that runs loads for 65 cents a mile carrying 2500 pounds in a little van.. I don't understand how you actually accept to take $800 dollars for a run to California a total of 1300 miles it's mind boggling

You just sent Moot into a frenzy. Good job!!

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol ..no its just shocking that you did not know the weight rating of your van Or even basic stuff like placing the load centered past the wheels.

It's positive criticism. We all need it once in a while

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just try to be more aware and keep learning ... best of luck in the future

Your real enemy is getting a mileage woody... when the dispatcher says 2100 miles 3,000 lbs @.80 all In direct drive... is not a good thing most times

Reactions: TSXpress2015

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The load was 3 pallets so it was past the wheels. Paperwork said 2366 pounds too....

One load does not kill a rear end. And your 2500 Sprinter has a max gross weight of 8550lbs...subtract the 6000 or so it weighs bone empty is now 2500 lbs payload or so...less whatever you carry along (fuel..you..your stuff)...so maybe 2000lbs. weigh it...don't believe the brochure from MB.