The Hunt for Roadbed October

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They do not know at this point. They said it threw like 50 codes involving the tranny. I just had the tranny serviced recently. They were able to verify today that the fluid was good and at the proper level. That is about all the info they had for me though. These things don't even have a dipstick to check the fluid level anymore. You have to put it up on a lift, perfectly level, and check it from underneath. So far this year I've had lifters, cams and cylinder heads too. Thankfully, all that was mostly covered under warranty. This is my 1st. Promaster and I am not impressed with its durability. I'll be looking elsewhere for my next vehicle.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's MLB postseason T-shirt Season!

If Houston wins tonight, I've got t-shirt deliveries in Houston (from Irving) on Saturday, and then Houston-to-Houston on Sunday. We've got two other Load One Sprinters picking up here in Irving, too. If the Astros lose tonight, it all gets pushed back a day.

I wish all loads paid like these. Three out of the last four years I've managed to be near the cities of participating postseason teams. It's fun.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If unknown, wash bay is down. One of the sprayers is disconnected, not enough pressure to run one. Glad I skipped the prewash and found this out first.

In other news, OOS with a fuel leak and wheel seal leak. At Wayne's getting it checked out.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Had two offices fighting it out for my services. Charlotte office won. Pickup Friday and deliver Monday. Got to the shipper and ask me if I could deliver Saturday by noon, sure.

The shipper call in and told John that they were glad I was on the load while I was standing there. Never had that happen before. Now at a Wal-Mart with a Five Guys close by. Getting ready to eat and watch the truck race at Martinsville!

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do get the 3 year 100,000 miles warranty on the new one.
That will be gone in about a year to a year and a half!
He originally told me the warranty was only going to be 36,000. When he announced later that he had been wrong and it was actually 100,000, I was pretty happy. I know it's not much in this business, but 36000, is like nothing at all. I would do that in just over 3 months.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
If unknown, wash bay is down. One of the sprayers is disconnected, not enough pressure to run one. Glad I skipped the prewash and found this out first.

In other news, OOS with a fuel leak and wheel seal leak. At Wayne's getting it checked out.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Did not know that. But I will have it checked out!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
He originally told me the warranty was only going to be 36,000. When he announced later that he had been wrong and it was actually 100,000, I was pretty happy. I know it's not much in this business, but 36000, is like nothing at all. I would do that in just over 3 months.
A new van is 36K on transmission. You do have a bad year Promaster. I wouldn't have a problem buying a 2017 or 2018 Promaster. Talk to Ntimevan, he's got a new one.

Reactions: ntimevan

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Now at a Wal-Mart with a Five Guys close by. Getting ready to eat and watch the truck race at Martinsville!
After Wal-Mart and sleep, went to the TA for shower and bed. Dispatch called and said they had a load for the next morning. Heck yeah, put it on me. Got load delivered this afternoon and we will see what happens tomorrow!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Awaiting insurance adjuster and roofer to come out and take care of some damage done by Harvey. Took them long enough. Hopefully back in service this week! Found out retirement is for old people.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A new van is 36K on transmission. You do have a bad year Promaster. I wouldn't have a problem buying a 2017 or 2018 Promaster. Talk to Ntimevan, he's got a new one.
I was a little skeptical about the 100,000 mile warranty on the transmission. You are right that it is only 36,000 normally. Not sure why the service manager came back out after he originally told me 36,000. Makes me think it will end up only being 36,000 when all said and done. I still need to get a few years out of this 2014 Promaster before I consider a new one. I have been looking around and I kind of like the Chevy 3500's with the the 12' spartan box. I have a 08 Suburban with a 6.0 liter engine and I like that a lot. A little dicey on fuel economy in this line of work though.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I was a little skeptical about the 100,000 mile warranty on the transmission. You are right that it is only 36,000 normally. Not sure why the service manager came back out after he originally told me 36,000. Makes me think it will end up only being 36,000 when all said and done. I still need to get a few years out of this 2014 Promaster before I consider a new one. I have been looking around and I kind of like the Chevy 3500's with the the 12' spartan box. I have a 08 Suburban with a 6.0 liter engine and I like that a lot. A little dicey on fuel economy in this line of work though.
Those are bad on transmission also. I would stay away IMHO.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as GM transmissions go.....not all Dexron 6 fluid is created equal....and the bulk stuff at the dealers and transmission shops is usually some of the worst....sure...works OK for the local plumbers van that does maybe 20k a year...the expediter...not so much. After doing used samples on some of it...there is only 1 brand I will use in any of my GM stuff now.

Last edited:
Reactions: billg27

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as GM transmissions go.....not all Dexron 6 fluid is created equal....and the bulk stuff at the dealers and transmission shops is usually some of the worst....sure...works OK for the local plumbers van that does maybe 20k a year...the expediter...not so much. After doing used samples on some of it...there is only 1 brand I will use in any of my GM stuff now.
What kind is that? I like the thought of having a vehicle where I can actually check, or add fluid, when I need to. You can't even perform a lube job on my Promaster with all the sealed components.