The Hunt for Roadbed October

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Havoline/Chevron Full synthetic DexronVI. All Dex6 has the same additive package (if it is a true GM licensed Dex6) but the base oil and other goodies are not all the same. The actual GM/Delco branded bottles of Dex6 are an awful fluid...maybe fine for the Family Truxster but not a hard working transmission. The other thing with these new transmission fluids of any make, is they are all pretty thin (gov't fuel economy numbers more important than durability it seems)....so keeping them cool is very important. I don't like to see fluid temps above 175F...ever.

Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF | Havoline Transmission Fluids

Even though this stuff works for me....I'm generally leery of anything that says "multi vehicle"...given how hard we work transmissions I want the right fluid. When I had a Sprinter I used a fluid that had the actual MB spec number on it...but was a "multi" fluid....it didn't perform well...I needed to run a fluid (Shell product IIRC) that was ONLY for the MB spec...it survived OK.

BTW...the above fluid may be hard to find at retail...you may need to go to a Chevron distributor to get it. Schraeder Tire in Melvindale is close to the yard...no idea what they charge for it or if they keep it in stock. I pay about $8 CDN a quart for it in case quantities.

Reactions: GuyUpNorth

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Havoline/Chevron Full synthetic DexronVI. All Dex6 has the same additive package (if it is a true GM licensed Dex6) but the base oil and other goodies are not all the same. The actual GM/Delco branded bottles of Dex6 are an awful fluid...maybe fine for the Family Truxster but not a hard working transmission. The other thing with these new transmission fluids of any make, is they are all pretty thin (gov't fuel economy numbers more important than durability it seems)....so keeping them cool is very important. I don't like to see fluid temps above 175F...ever.

Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF | Havoline Transmission Fluids

Even though this stuff works for me....I'm generally leery of anything that says "multi vehicle"...given how hard we work transmissions I want the right fluid. When I had a Sprinter I used a fluid that had the actual MB spec number on it...but was a "multi" fluid....it didn't perform well...I needed to run a fluid (Shell product IIRC) that was ONLY for the MB spec...it survived OK.

BTW...the above fluid may be hard to find at retail...you may need to go to a Chevron distributor to get it. Schraeder Tire in Melvindale is close to the yard...no idea what they charge for it or if they keep it in stock. I pay about $8 CDN a quart for it in case quantities.
Good info. I will definitely look into this. Thanks!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
026d3d9260ecc710169be213a4936f37.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums