October banter and locations.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Slightly above average?
Let me rephrase .... borderline meaningless ...
Not sure what you mean. If you want a dollar figure, not going to happen. Money is top secret info kept between me and my Rabbi Murray .

As my GuRu OVM has said many times we each have the freedom to run our business in a way that meets our individual needs.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It has been almost 2 years since I left CRE in my Sprinter to check out the straight truck business. So I don't claim to know what rate Murray runs the vans at now, but when I was there my all miles rate was waaaay better than .50 a mile. I wouldn't have run at that rate.
Btw, I left Murray to try my hand at straight trucks. If Murray ran straights I would have been there still.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It has been almost 2 years since I left CRE in my Sprinter to check out the straight truck business. So I don't claim to know what rate Murray runs the vans at now, but when I was there my all miles rate was waaaay better than .50 a mile. I wouldn't have run at that rate.
Btw, I left Murray to try my hand at straight trucks. If Murray ran straights I would have been there still.

Where did that .50¢ number come from?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well, yeah understood .... this isn't a commentary or discussion about CRE. It's about individual owner/ops & how we each run our individual businesses. Whatever carrier anyone is with, it's not up to them to make sure you're profitable with the decisions you make.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where did that .50¢ number come from?

Grizzly mentioned .50 a few posts back.

Whatever it is ..... .50 .... .60 .... .70 whatever .... if the profit is only .05 that equals $5,000 on 100,000 mi. Insanity imo. If I drive 100,000 you can bet I'm gonna make a bunch more than $5K. If I didn't I wouldn't be doing this ..

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Whatever it is ..... .50 .... .60 .... .70 whatever .... if the profit is only .05 that equals $5,000 on 100,000 mi. Insanity imo. If I drive 100,000 you can bet I'm gonna make a bunch more than $5K. If I didn't I wouldn't be doing this ..
Hopefully you took the time to read my post. $5000 give or take is AFTER I have paid us a very handsome salary AND paid ALL expenses and taxes.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
So, I brought this 'super hot' load to Mercedes in Vance, AL, breakdown of some sort, even the shipper didn't fail to inform me that the load was very hot. So I got here and everybody was at lunch. Was told to back into a certain dock and wait. Well, there was someone else in that dock. So I was told to wait and they would tell me what to do.An hour later and they still haven't done anything. I'm not complaining. A bit more waiting and I start getting paid for doing nothing. Just wanted to share how a hot load gets cold, or it is not that hot to begine with.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
And, not sure how to share this, might belong in soapbox. Yesterday we spent the afternoon at the March AFB Museum. I spent a year there working on B-52's back around 1970. While there we saw commercial aircraft (Southwest, Continental, etc) taking off and landing. The guide said it's been like that for a couple weeks, up to 12 flights a day, taking Marines from area bases overseas. Thousands of them, but nobody is being told where. I can only hope it is a show of force and no more. And that they will soon return to March

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
So, I brought this 'super hot' load to Mercedes in Vance, AL, breakdown of some sort, even the shipper didn't fail to inform me that the load was very hot. So I got here and everybody was at lunch. Was told to back into a certain dock and wait. Well, there was someone else in that dock. So I was told to wait and they would tell me what to do.An hour later and they still haven't done anything. I'm not complaining. A bit more waiting and I start getting paid for doing nothing. Just wanted to share how a hot load gets cold, or it is not that hot to begine with.

Yeah, love the hot loads where receiver says he'll unload it and put it with the other dozen pallets of the same stuff they don't really need. When people ask what I do I tell them I cover for stupidity!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greetings from world famous Elizabethtown Ky...... (don't know what it's famous for).

I mentioned Turtles name at the hotel front desk...... they charged me double. :D
Tomorrow Nashville, TN for some sightseeing, then to Clanton Al.
Did the tourist gig in Nashville. Ragmama was a bit disappointed not being to see the Ryman Auditorium.

Tomorrow we're heading to Panama City Beach.
Stayed one night on the beach. Finished our drive to Walt Disney World. Love this place. We are children at heart.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the reply & the honesty. We have a difference of opinion ... & that's cool. IMO there is no ambiguity when it comes to money & profitability. It's black or white. We all DH for better load position at times ... but to run for a loss is absolutely absurd imo. Why run at a loss when you can actually turn a profit doing this? Makes no sense to me. You're paying others to haul their freight .... including your carrier, no offense to CRE.

There are times/loads when it's not worth running the vehicle. Does that make sense? It does to me ...

Me offended? Not. I fully expect to lose ANY driver that isn't where they need to be. We've lost drivers, of course, and I'm guessing those drivers are the ones that I could not meet their needs consistently enough.
Pretty simple.

But am I supposed to be offended when the math doesn't work for that individual? No.
I'm usually quite disappointed when I just can't keep the ball rolling well enough.

But me offended by anything said on EO by anyone that doesn't know the details of each load and partnership we have with each of or drivers??? Why the hell would that be?

That would kind of be like hating someone that you don't know and don't know anything about. It just doesn't jive.

All good.

**And don't think for a minute we are one of those carriers that runs for 50 CPM off the Mexican border. Just not the case.
My drivers need to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any of them EVER running anything that cheap. I think twice in 5.5 years we had drivers on loads that averaged 60 CPM all miles. And that was freaking embarrassing to me that I couldn't land anything higher than that. Twice, I think that's happened.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyhow, I'm happy! Mrs. WornOut is happy too! So let's take this thread back to a cordial exchange of thoughts and dueling poking sticks.

OK... back to making WOM smile ...
9bdd5e01dc95fc3eed7ce3c91a786015.gif

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, that's true .... but, I'll ask ... are you guys even profitable? I've done this long enough & I know all the costs involved. With all the DH miles .. seriously, have you ever analysed your All Miles Rate? I can't imagine it's more than .50 per mi. At that point, it's simply a waste of time & energy imo. You're simply making others $$$ ...

If I'm gonna put forth the time & effort I at least want it to be worth something .. $
Good point .... Ovm & I spent many a night driving & talking about this ... 80% or higher out here in this business have NO idea of All Mile rate paid on loads and on profit and costs ... yearly averages... quarterly averages ..monthly averages ...
Very few look past Last Weeks income... and the 80% or higher of what i call Freight Chasers ... never really become Expedite Freight haulers that truely make money .... most just keep the Hamster wheel going round and round .... Lol .... of course ... IMO

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.
“Hamster wheel “ just the description I was reaching for... there are many in that loop... they just can’t see it.., they think they are doing ok... but at the end of a few years they are no further ahead fromwhen they started...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply & the honesty. We have a difference of opinion ... & that's cool. IMO there is no ambiguity when it comes to money & profitability. It's black or white. We all DH for better load position at times ... but to run for a loss is absolutely absurd imo. Why run at a loss when you can actually turn a profit doing this? Makes no sense to me. You're paying others to haul their freight .... including your carrier, no offense to CRE.

There are times/loads when it's not worth running the vehicle. Does that make sense? It does to me ...

Me offended? Not. I fully expect to lose ANY driver that isn't where they need to be. We've lost drivers, of course, and I'm guessing those drivers are the ones that I could not meet their needs consistently enough.
Pretty simple.

But am I supposed to be offended when the math doesn't work for that individual? No.
I'm usually quite disappointed when I just can't keep the ball rolling well enough.

But me offended by anything said on EO by anyone that doesn't know the details of each load and partnership we have with each of or drivers??? Why the hell would that be?

That would kind of be like hating someone that you don't know and don't know anything about. It just doesn't jive.

All good.

**And don't think for a minute we are one of those carriers that runs for 50 CPM off the Mexican border. Just not the case.
My drivers need to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any of them EVER running anything that cheap. I think twice in 5.5 years we had drivers on loads that averaged 60 CPM all miles. And that was freaking embarrassing to me that I couldn't land anything higher than that. Twice, I think that's happened.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I for one can attest while I was prepared to take a bath off the border .. it never happened... thankfully...:)

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Greetings from world famous Elizabethtown Ky...... (don't know what it's famous for).

I mentioned Turtles name at the hotel front desk...... they charged me double. :D
Tomorrow Nashville, TN for some sightseeing, then to Clanton Al.
Did the tourist gig in Nashville. Ragmama was a bit disappointed not being to see the Ryman Auditorium.

Tomorrow we're heading to Panama City Beach.
Stayed one night on the beach. Finished our drive to Walt Disney World. Love this place. We are children at heart.
My Dad lived in PCB for many years. When he passed he left me his mobile home which was only 4 blocks from the beach near the Carosel Market on Front Beach Rd. Was thinking of retiring there and did live there for awhile but I didn't have any family close by so I sold it two years ago. Las Vegas is a great place to be retired in.

Reactions: Ragman

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
“Hamster wheel “ just the description I was reaching for... there are many in that loop... they just can’t see it.., they think they are doing ok... but at the end of a few years they are no further ahead fromwhen they started...
I can't get off the wheel because I don't know how deep the wood chips in my cage are?

Reactions: ntimevan