October banter and locations.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning gang... after reading “other” threads I am amazed that some are still if the mind there is money in this business ... after having to be in service 165 hours a week and all the BS ... you can make more flipping burgers ...at .80 a mile you are a slave to the road and cycle around to the repair shops.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning gang... after reading “other” threads I am amazed that some are still if the mind there is money in this business ... after having to be in service 165 hours a week and all the BS ... you can make more flipping burgers ...at .80 a mile you are a slave to the road and cycle around to the repair shops.
Good Morning Mr. Happy ...
I tried calling you ... no answer .. after i unload around 2 pm (e) its back to bed around Cleveland , Tn....

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Meow, sounds like someone got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning?FB_IMG_1501714697744.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I mean someone with payments and all ....credit card debt, kids, mortgage, about all one does is tread water and break even for a lot of time and effort... and away from home time. I mean using you for example.. you just spent about about 5% if your recent income in a motel room for 2 nights... which all comes out of the profit or in your pocket budget...just saying

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good Morning Mr. Happy ...
I tried calling you ... no answer .. after i unload around 2 pm (e) its back to bed around Cleveland , Tn....

I was on the other phone checking up in worm supply :)

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Illegal to use other fish for bait here..
Minnows or Chubs ...?
Remember your favorite fishing hole is in a 1000 acre Cow Pasture ...lol
I am sure the Cows won't TAIL on you ...lol

mrswornout

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, but our view changes!

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, yes, I agree. This is no longer a career. I wonder how many of the newbies are in and out within a few months.

I've posted this comment before .... oh, well ....

Turnover is never talked about by carriers. Do any carriers, large or small, keep this statistic? If I was a carrier, even a small one, I would. I think it's indicative of how healthy your business is. And if I were applying to a carrier, I would definitely ask this question at the appropriate time.

It's either not tracked or a big stinking secret .... don't want to ruin the sales pitch of the expediter lifestyle ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, but our view changes!

Ok, that's true .... but, I'll ask ... are you guys even profitable? I've done this long enough & I know all the costs involved. With all the DH miles .. seriously, have you ever analysed your All Miles Rate? I can't imagine it's more than .50 per mi. At that point, it's simply a waste of time & energy imo. You're simply making others $$$ ...

If I'm gonna put forth the time & effort I at least want it to be worth something .. $

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, that's true .... but, I'll ask ... are you guys even profitable? I've done this long enough & I know all the costs involved. With all the DH miles .. seriously, have you ever analysed your All Miles Rate? I can't imagine it's more than .50 per mi. At that point, it's simply a waste of time & energy imo. You're simply making others $$$ ...

If I'm gonna put forth the time & effort I at least want it to be worth something .. $
Good point .... Ovm & I spent many a night driving & talking about this ... 80% or higher out here in this business have NO idea of All Mile rate paid on loads and on profit and costs ... yearly averages... quarterly averages ..monthly averages ...
Very few look past Last Weeks income... and the 80% or higher of what i call Freight Chasers ... never really become Expedite Freight haulers that truely make money .... most just keep the Hamster wheel going round and round .... Lol .... of course ... IMO

Reactions: VSprinter

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Well, are we profitable? Yes & no! We DH for better load position BUT we also DH for fun. If you take ALL miles on the van this year, (home, sightseeing, waiting) we lose about 5¢ a mile. And that includes all expenses, truck, salary, living, etc. If we take miles that have ONLY to do with freight (loaded, DH to pick, etc) we make a nickel per. When I was solo I made real good money but had no fun.

Reactions: ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, are we profitable? Yes & no! We DH for better load position BUT we also DH for fun. If you take ALL miles on the van this year, (home, sightseeing, waiting) we lose about 5¢ a mile. And that includes all expenses, truck, salary, living, etc. If we take miles that have ONLY to do with freight (loaded, DH to pick, etc) we make a nickel per. When I was solo I made real good money but had no fun.

Thanks for the reply & the honesty. We have a difference of opinion ... & that's cool. IMO there is no ambiguity when it comes to money & profitability. It's black or white. We all DH for better load position at times ... but to run for a loss is absolutely absurd imo. Why run at a loss when you can actually turn a profit doing this? Makes no sense to me. You're paying others to haul their freight .... including your carrier, no offense to CRE.

There are times/loads when it's not worth running the vehicle. Does that make sense? It does to me ...

Last edited: