ELD''s in cargo/sprinter vans

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
OK forgive me if this has been covered already but I haven't been able to get on here for a while.
Since December is getting close with the ELD mandate, I was wondering if they were going to be required for cargo and sprinter vans? I am thinking about getting back into expediting and wondering if driving a van would be less of a hassle.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As soon as the insurance companies realize it may offer them some protection, they may become required by many carriers.
Does Fedex or Panther require them yet ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Shut your mouth. Lol.
If you haul placardable hazmat in a van you need to log. Would you need an ELD for those loads? My guess is yes.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ok, it's Thursday. A HM load comes up. The odds that your hours were Compliant the previous seven days, while you ran HOS exempt, are slim.
Can you even run that load ?
Will HM be more straight truck friendly ?
I always enjoyed those 100 lb loads at $2 per mile.

Reactions: ntimevan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you haul placardable hazmat in a van you need to log. Would you need an ELD for those loads? My guess is yes.

I thought you couldn't haul placardable hazmat in a van, because there's no separation between cab and load. Am I wrong?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thought you couldn't haul placardable hazmat in a van, because there's no separation between cab and load. Am I wrong.
I've hauled plenty placardable loads in my Sprinter. It all depends on the shipper. I was once at a shipper that didn't want to load one drum of paint which wasn't placardable because of no separation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought you couldn't haul placardable hazmat in a van, because there's no separation between cab and load. Am I wrong?
Phrased in that manner, you'd be wrong. There are certain types of hazardous materials that cannot be hauled in the cab of a truck. Since the entire cargo van is considered to be the cab, it follows that certain types of hazardous materials cannot be hauled in a van.

Principally, these are Division 2.3 (Poisonous Gas) or Division 6.1 (Poisonous) Materials. So, inhalation hazards and poisons. Makes perfect sense when you think about it. These materials cannot be hauled in the cab of a truck, or in containers with interconnections, or in a container containing a sleeper, or in a container containing food.

That's something big truck drivers never even think about, since they haul everything in the box, anyway, and never consider hauling anything in the cab or sleeper of the truck. But it's something that cargo van operators with a HAZMAT endorsement need to be aware of, since many shippers may not make such a distinction (and may try and load you with a poison or inhalation hazard).

Reactions: roadeyes

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh Great Terrapin, is it not true that we CAN haul most hazards without placards if under 1000#?
I don't know how to answer the "is it not true?" question, because "not true" = "false" in my brain, and trying to answer that question always messes me up, so I'll just say that most of the items on the full listing of the Hazardous Materials Table are categorized on Table 2 of the DOT HAZMAT Placards tables. The Table 2 materials do not require placards or an endorsement if the quantity is 1000 pounds or less. So I would have to say that most hazardous material loads that are under 1000 pounds can be hauled without placards.

The one big exception to Table 2 for cargo vans is, again, the 6.1 Poisons. You don't need placards or an endorsement to haul it in amounts of less than 1001 pounds, but you can't put even a small amount of it in the cargo van. Even one pound. Don't haul it. Just don't. I've had shippers try to load with with 6.1 poisons a couple of times. In the immortal words of Dana Carvey's George Bush, "Na ga da. Wouldn't be prudent."

Here's a piece on Table 1 and Table 2 materials...
Can You Haul HAZMAT without an endorsement?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Ok, you must be younger than I thought. Perry Mason always said "is it not true". Oddly enough Ironsides never did?

So was I wrong to just haul 400# of Table 1 #4 Dangerous When Wet?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok, you must be younger than I thought. Perry Mason always said "is it not true". Oddly enough Ironsides never did?
No, I remember Perry Mason. I as born in 1957. That "Is it not true?" question always seemed like a gotcha question for someone on the witness stand. It never turned out well for anyone on the witness stand who were asked that type of a question. I already know that if I'm ever questioned like that, I'll make them rephrase it. :D

If the vehicle was placarded, and you have a CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement, you were not wrong.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I hope you got more money than a regular load. I wouldn’t touch if for less than $1,50/mi. Of course I don’t do those loads anymore because of that fact. Not worth my time. I guessing Murray has the Hazmat classification added to his authority and hopefully the drivers would have that attached to their ins. policy.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I hope you got more money than a regular load. I wouldn’t touch if for less than $1,50/mi. Of course I don’t do those loads anymore because of that fact. Not worth my time. I guessing Murray has the Hazmat classification added to his authority and hopefully the drivers would have that attached to their ins. policy.
Don't think Murray knew what the load was. It was rescue type and I took it the last 19 miles. But, now I know for next time

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't think Murray knew what the load was. It was rescue type and I took it the last 19 miles. But, now I know for next time

19 miles !
Bet he got over $2 per mile.