Hino 195 Winter storage/Oil change

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi all, I am glad to of found this forum! I have a 2017 Hino 195 and a 2018 on the way. I have to store the trucks outside long term, for the winter (Dec thru March). I am in southern NY, so winters can be mild or frigid. I plan on parking the truck with a full tank of fuel with " Power Service clear diesel" and biocide. Also a battery tender.

Questions... Should I change the engine oil before or after the winter? We put on 8,000miles during the in season. Is one "A" service adequate per year? "B" service when? What else should be done for the winter storage?

Thank you in advance

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
What additive do you recommend? Some say remove water and some say disperse water. This would be for the one time use.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

This is what happens when water hits molten steel, something similar happens when water in the fuel hits the end of the injector, which is why you don't want the water to get that far.

Now myself I would be more worried about the def tank as it has a shelf life and by the time it sits all winter you might have issues. I would wonder if there is a drain on the def tank or does it have to be sucked out?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, I forgot about the DEF tank.. Draining it sounds like a good idea. Or fill it with fresh fluid from new container? At our low mileage it takes us a year to use a full tank of DEF. I wish I could find some indoor parking.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would think emptying it is better, since def has a fairly short shelf life, leave it as empty as you can and put fresh in as soon as you get it going again in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
VNT is the turbo? Thanks for the help guys. I think I need the penny version.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
VNT is the turbo? Thanks for the help guys. I think I need the penny version.
The variable nozzle turbo controller is a servo on the bottom of the turbo. It moves a linkage that turns a plate and a bunch of vanes in the turbine housing of the turbo. If allowed to sit, you'll sometimes get some rust on the linkage. Spray the pivot points with nickel antiseize.

Granted, this linkage is hard to see and harder to get to, so you're gonna make a mess.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ok, so I need to drain the fuel/water separator before and after the winter. I went to use the 17 truck and had ice in it. Simple enough, but do I need to re-prime afterwards? The 2017 has a clear filter cover so you can see in, while the 2018s changed the cover to black.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talking about one service a year, and storing all winter.
Probably service stuff. Fountains, pools, landscaping. Tent rental.
Covering a small area.
You can use trucks to make a living, without working yourself to death.
Or working hard, using the truck as an auxiliary tool.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My question got me curious enough to google an answer.

Def will freeze at 11 degrees F.
At 32.5 ratio to water they both freeze and thaw at the same rate.
Freezing/thawing will not degrade the product.
Per Cummins.

Greenfire

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The DEF is perfectly fine in the cold, doesn't freeze. Just trying to understand the fuel/water separator gizmo.

Yeah it would be nice if these trucks could make money over the winter. The body is so customized... we are limited.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you can get by 9 month’s per year, be thankful.

I’m limited by my body too.

Too specialized to hang a plow ?