Class B Question

Dennis Newstedt

New Recruit
Driver
Hi,

I'm looking to get my class B license. I studied for the general knowledge and air brake endorsement tests, and I passed it with no problem. Now I need to take the inspection and driving test, but my DMV isn't making it very clear how this is accomplished. I don't have a straight truck (obviously since I don't even have a license to drive one), so I thought the DMV would have one for me to use, but it doesn't seem like this is the case. How, exactly, does this work?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like a catch-22.

Do you know somebody with a truck. Such person can take you for the test.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
One of the important attributes of a driver, particularly an expedite driver is problem solving. You have a resolvable problem that you don't seem to have thought too deeply for a solution. Have you considered renting a air brake equipped strait truck from a nearby Ryder or Penske. You don't need to have a CDL to rent a straight truck for non-commercial purposes. An ad in you local media might get you access to a straight truck. A visit to a truck stop with an offer of financial help to an idle driver might have your answer. With regards to a pre-trip inspection, there are dozens of you tube videos with pre-trip demonstrations. While you're at it, you might consider a hazmat endorsement on your CDL to improve your earning opportunities. Good luck with your search.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi,
I don't have a straight truck (obviously since I don't even have a license to drive one), so I thought the DMV would have one for me to use, but it doesn't seem like this is the case. How, exactly, does this work?
It works the same way it did when you obtained your regular driver's license. You supply the vehicle. If you don't know somebody with a truck, rent one for a few days to practice driving and doing a pre-trip.

Reactions: Grizzly

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Your best bet is to rent like pointed above , the problem with that is the truck needs to be over 26.000lb
And most of the renting company's like Penske dont have truck that are over 26000
, but u never know go ask around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Newstedt

New Recruit
Driver
Your best bet is to rent like pointed above , the problem with that is the truck needs to be over 26.000lb
And most of the renting company's like Penske dont have truck that are over 26000

In MN your vehicle is reflective of your license. In other words, you cannot take a test in anything other than what you are testing for.
Additionally, you can't rent a class B truck unless you have a class B license.

Dennis Newstedt

New Recruit
Driver
One of the important attributes of a driver, particularly an expedite driver is problem solving. You have a resolvable problem that you don't seem to have thought too deeply for a solution. Have you considered renting a air brake equipped strait truck from a nearby Ryder or Penske. You don't need to have a CDL to rent a straight truck for non-commercial purposes. An ad in you local media might get you access to a straight truck. A visit to a truck stop with an offer of financial help to an idle driver might have your answer. With regards to a pre-trip inspection, there are dozens of you tube videos with pre-trip demonstrations. While you're at it, you might consider a hazmat endorsement on your CDL to improve your earning opportunities. Good luck with your search.

I guess I thought one solution was to ask those who may have experience in obtaining a class B license... like on this forum. But I'll carry on.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
In MN your vehicle is reflective of your license. In other words, you cannot take a test in anything other than what you are testing for.
Additionally, you can't rent a class B truck unless you have a class B license.

Just get someone with class A or B to go rent it for you
And bring it to the DMV so u can use it to test.
Other thing is to go sign up for a CDL school
$3000-$5000
And get it done, even better get class A.
Or if u have any friends with a box truck over 26000lb
To lend t to u for the test
Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a class C, B and A all in Minnesota. Took the class C in a car supplied by my parents. Took the class B with school bus endorsement in a school bus supplied by Spanier Bus and my class A in a 1957 B Model Mack with a 40' flatbed supplied by Maiers Transport. Ah, the good old days when employers helped you get the proper license and a job.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got a class C, B and A all in Minnesota. Took the class C in a car supplied by my parents. Took the class B with school bus endorsement in a school bus supplied by Spanier Bus and my class A in a 1957 B Model Mack with a 40' flatbed supplied by Maiers Transport. Ah, the good old days when employers helped you get the proper license and a job.
What's a job? :confused2::eek::D

Reactions: John Clark 46

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A 1957. You are showing your age. LOL

Reactions: Moot

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi,

I'm looking to get my class B license. I studied for the general knowledge and air brake endorsement tests, and I passed it with no problem. Now I need to take the inspection and driving test, but my DMV isn't making it very clear how this is accomplished. I don't have a straight truck (obviously since I don't even have a license to drive one), so I thought the DMV would have one for me to use, but it doesn't seem like this is the case. How, exactly, does this work?
Dennis.

The DMV should provide you with a sheet of paper with options on instructors that offer to certify you and that of course are approved to report to your state as a agent that you passed or failed.

It will cost you approximately $300 to spend the day with the guy and he will probably give you a practice run and then the real deal. Most instructors are cool as long as you have common sense and they see you applied yourself and they understand their Is a level of being nervous on your part.

If you need help further send me a private message and I will give you a hand if your still having a difficult time.

Good luck. Hope all goes well

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A 1957. You are showing your age. LOL
Or the truck was showing its age. I was 21 at the time. The truck was 2 years younger. I guess we both are showing our age. I'm still running not sure about old # 50. I had been practicing in another B model that had a duplex transmission which is a 2 stick, 10 speed. The one I tested in had a triplex which is a 2 stick, 13 speed, less compound shifting.

If anyone reading this recognizes or comprehends what I posted above is most likely older than me. I feel privileged, not so much at the time, to experience what trucking was like in the 1950's and 1960's while doing it in the late 1970's.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I drove 64 F850 ford in navy had 2 shifting level's and you could shift 2nd gear 3 times
10 ton tandem straight truck, flat bed

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It will cost you approximately $300 to spend the day with the guy and he will probably give you a practice run and then the real deal. Most instructors are cool as long as you have common sense and they see you applied yourself and they understand their Is a level of being nervous on your part.

I spent $600, I got ripped off!!!
Oh well, I used Craigslist to find an instructor.
Oddly enough, Craigslist is also how I found my ex wife, so you really can't trust Craigslist...

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you planning on driving for a company or are you planning on getting your own truck?

If you are planning on owning your own truck, probably easiest to just buy a CDL truck and use it for your test (kill 2 birds with 1 stone)

I'd park it near the testing place the night before so you don't get in trouble for driving it there (if the tester asks, just say a friend drove it there for you the previous night....obviously you could not drive it there without your CDL!).

If you are not buying a truck I guess you'll just have to do things previously mentioned in this thread.

Andrew

Irvin

New Recruit
Driver
Here I Houston Texas, at every major truck stop, you can find a list I g for companies that will rent you truck and/or trailers for your driving test

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I like the "T&R" response. He he he
In a participation trophy world this is not sensitive & p.c. but I like it. Cause it's so valid. Creativity & hustle. Problem solving is a lost art.
Should the individual leap this small hurdle and come out here.
Only one day to wake up in a field of hurdles some of which actually have guards on them to trip you when you leap, acquire the permanent "o-crap" face. Then to be promoted to expedite heaven ......yes....yes
The field of Hoops.
Where you do not leap, but through which you must jump. Some of which persons stand ready to light their sterno encrusted form so they become the "flaming hoop" aaahhh!
Expedite heaven !
See spot jump!? Here spot want a bone ? Good spot!! Sniff sniff aahhhh nothing like the smell of burning hair!
The fragrance preferred by dispatchers everywhere.