The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Tweet from this morning:
"James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"

Broadcasting a threat? Really? What kinda banana republic are we living in?

Ok ... it's time it was said ....

F-BOMB YOU TRUMP!
Nah we'll be fine.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Comey has already refuted Trump's claim that Trump Tower was wiretapped.
That's not entirely accurate. Trump never claimed that Trump Tower was wiretapped. Trump claimed, very specifically, that President Obama himself had tapped or ordered to be tapped Trump's wires in Trump Tower. "Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower."

James Comey, being, you know, the cooler cucumber that he is, chose his words very, very carefully when he said, "We have no evidence to support the president's tweets."

Comey was asked essentially the same question three times, phrased differently each time, and he responded each time, very carefully, with the same, exact phrase. He was then asked if anyone at Trump Tower was wiretapped, and he gave the same answer again, explicitly referring to his previous answer.

Now, if you want to take the position that what Trump really meant was, that someone in the Obama administration wiretapped people associated with the Trump transition team at Trump Tower, then you have to also allow that what Trump really meant by "wiretapping" was that someone in the Obama administration intercepted electronic communications of Trump and/or his team while at Trump Tower. But in either case, Comey was very careful to neither refute nor affirm either of those characterizations, and instead stuck with the explicit verbosity of the Tweets.

Saying that Comey refuted Trump's claim that Trump Tower was wiretapped is reminiscent of Oregon Senator Ron Wyden's comment on the Senate floor that it was "established fact" that "Trump actively encouraged Russians and Wikileaks to attack our democracy" since Trump "urged the Russians to hack his opponent [Hillary's emails]."

The fact is, Trump didn't do any of that. Trump once joked in a campaign speech that maybe the Russians could find Hillary's deleted 33,000 emails. If you're anti-Trump it becomes conveniently advantageous to spin that as Trump doing something he really didn't do, in the same way that it's conveniently advantageous to spin it as Comey refuted a claim that Trump never made.

Reactions: muttly

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are more fun than a gym. lol. On a side note, not wanting to complicate the simple, there really hasn't been anything presented that Trump is involved with the Russians. So far anyways.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know other than the ones making the claim were not at the meeting.
There's a lot of that going on. I got a kick out of Spicer a few weeks ago when he smacked down a NYT reporter for a story he did that cited 9 White House sources who were at a particular meeting, and there were only 6 people in the meeting, one of which was Sean Spicer.

Reactions: RoadTime and davekc

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to current and former unnamed government officials, according to The Washington Post..

Even if it were true, so what? The President of the United States is the ultimate authority and arbiter of classified information, and can declassify anything at any time and disseminate any classified information to anyone for any reason.
Agreed. The questing is under what context was this discussed? It kinda matters, does it not?
What was the purpose of the meeting? If Trump did divulge this info, why? Is he just off the cuff bragging in some odd way?
Putin is licking his chops.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Ragman

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know other than the ones making the claim were not at the meeting.
There's a lot of that going on. I got a kick out of Spicer a few weeks ago when he smacked down a NYT reporter for a story he did that cited 9 White House sources who were at a particular meeting, and there were only 6 people in the meeting, one of which was Sean Spicer.
I think there is a whole lot of "fake news" going on. Amazing as well how coordinated the oppositions responses are. Almost word for word.

Reactions: muttly and Turtle

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
According to current and former unnamed government officials, according to The Washington Post..

Even if it were true, so what? The President of the United States is the ultimate authority and arbiter of classified information, and can declassify anything at any time and disseminate any classified information to anyone for any reason.
Agreed. The questing is under what context was this discussed? It kinda matters, does it not?
What was the purpose of the meeting? If Trump did divulge this info, why? Is he just off the cuff bragging in some odd way?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
They were covering threats that both countries face. On a side note, I am wondering if they discussed ice cream and how many scoops. lol

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

You're continuing to assume (or worse, believe The Washington Post), that it happened. According to the Secretary of State and the National Security Adviser, who were both in the meeting, said no such information was divulged. And if you read the Post story very, very carefully, they said it, too. It's buried deep, but it's there. The Post story implied the pee out of it, starting with the headline, but it did not explicitly say that Trump disclosed sources and methods or anything classified; it said Trump discussed information in a way in which sources and method could maybe possibly kinda sorta be deduced.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think there is a whole lot of "fake news" going on. Amazing as well how coordinated the oppositions responses are. Almost word for word.
Comey gets fired, and within 2 seconds every Democrat inside the Beltway (not to mention every MSM talking head) was saying the same exact thing using the same exact buzzwords with the same exact reasoned concerns. It's almost like they all had, waiting at the ready, the Talking Points Memo that was created weeks or months ago juuuust in case Comey got fired, in the same way that television outlets have at the ready the instant 1 hour long tribute to <insert famous person>.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The White House has 35 bathrooms.

This morning Trump took a dump in one that he's never used before.

Senator Chuck Schumer immediately called for an independent prosecutor and for the release of Trump's taxes.

Reactions: RoadTime

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Talking points: "We need to get to the bottom of this." "There is a lot of smoke, that is why we need a special prosecutor." "Trump firing Comey is a threat to our democracy."

Reactions: davekc

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Talk about sensational headlines that blow things way out of proportion. I read on FOX today that Chic-Fil-A is overhauling their menu. Overhauling it!! I read down and it turns out they are adding a BBQ chicken sandwich. Overhauling indeed. That just proves FOX news has no credibility

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app