Transit driveshaft issue.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Somebody put a hidden camera please, I'd like to know the procedures. Also would help educate a dealership closer to home maybe

Reactions: guido4475

guido4475

Not a Member
That should slow down the sprinter bashing for a while!
I actually love a Sprinter for many reasons. A ton of them. It's the mechanical costs of maintenance, and repairs that are astronomical. For the money that one can spend on an emissions repair job just to get it going down the road, I can buy an engine and transmission from Ford. No kidding. I'd love to buy a Sprinter that is in-operarable mechanically and rip the engine, trans, and rear end out, along with a bunch of the electronic garbage, and put Ford power and drive train in it. That would be the cats azz. Like an in line 300 6cyl, with a 5 speed stick. I bet it would get great gas mikeage, with longevity and dependiblity as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: piper1

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was tongue in cheek, but also acknowledging the lack of dealers getting on board with these new generations of vans. The huge dealer network was going to be a big plus for someone looking at Transit's, and now having to do a Woodstock like pilgrimage to Wisconsin for a fluid change is ridiculous.

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope you get Pete the mechanic. He's done excellent work on mine. And he's very easy to talk to, he listens and tells you exactly what he thinks about any issues. Very smart man!
No luck with getting Pete. I got a wheel chock named Matt. I've been here since 6:30 for a 7:00 appointment. Matt the wheel chock just came into the waiting area with the service order in hand. I thought the job was done and I was outta here. Not so. He wanted me to show him what the problem was. I went back to the shop with him and there was my van, up on a lift dripping melting snow. They had just driven it into the shop! The main thing I wanted was the giubo replaced. He was clueless. Now I don't know if the parts guy even ordered the right part. If this is Mecca, I want out! I'll trade in my Weather Tech floor mat for a prayer rug and give up eating pork.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bummer, we just took our Transit to our locals again for the awesome transmission flush, $77 wow what's up 4time this was done at this location half the price I'm wondering what's up? So I go back and ask they only drained 6 qts not the 16qts...oh yeah they can't flush the transit either because they don't have the correct tool. This they tell me after 4 "flushes" which they also told me a flush cleans out the screen filter and is actually better than a drain an fill. Ford service sux!!!
Oh yeah, getting giubo changed at ford in next city over...they are honoring the 2yr warranty from our 1st replacement. 170k.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point. Without cleaning the magnet (and filter) the job's not REALLY done, is it?

I might end up with a ford, so I follow these things...suspect removing a motor mount or two and jacking everything against the floor pan would be the shortcut

Edit: zoomed in in that service receipt...so remove subframe, and cure for shudder remove valve body clean debris from solenoids. Maybe they copied the sprinter a little too closely lol

Last edited:
Reactions: scottm4211

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Went to 2 different Tranny shops, both with excellent reviews and both said no drain & fill, flush only AND both said the only solution to my shudder is to replace the Torque Converter which is now being done. Will post results.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point. Without cleaning the magnet (and filter) the job's not REALLY done, is it?

I might end up with a ford, so I follow these things...suspect removing a motor mount or two and jacking everything against the floor pan would be the shortcut

Edit: zoomed in in that service receipt...so remove subframe, and cure for shudder remove valve body clean debris from solenoids. Maybe they copied the sprinter a little too closely lol
When I bought my sprinter, I was told the sprinter design was built by Ford and was sold to MB.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can tell I was serviced by a dealership, it still hurts to sit down. I went in to get the giubo replaced, have the transmission fluid and filter changed which involves dropping the pan to get at the filter and recalibrate the speedometer/odometer to compensate for larger diameter tires.

I spent 7½ hours there. Actually 8 hours because I arrived 30 minutes before my 07:00 appointment. I got the qiubo replaced but I thought $200 for labor was a bit high. Their hourly rate must be $150.

They flushed the transmission but did not drop the pan and replace the filter because they claimed, and I was told this after the fact when I paid my bill, that the filter/gasket kit was not available from Ford. I asked how BillG happened to get this service performed and was told: "He got lucky." He better have gotten lucky! He took his wife to Hawaii for two weeks while his van was worked on. They did tell me to come back when this kit is available. I can hardly wait.

They were unable to recalibrate the speedo because "the vehicle is already programmed with the biggest tire size available." Amazing because several people on the Transit Forum have claimed to have had their speedometers recalibrated to compensate for larger tires.

I think I will go take a warm bath.
Ewald Bill.jpg

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
About the same I paid for the same work. In general I don't trust dealers. Who knows what they do vs. what they say.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: Moot