Transit driveshaft issue.

guido4475

Not a Member
A friend of mine who has a Transit asked me to post this picture of his Transits driveshaft doohickey that someone mentioned in an earlier thread about these going bad. This has 61,000 miles on it. After he read someone mentioning about this problem, he crawled under his Transit to inspect and found this. You may want to check yours if you have a Transit.
331cf8bffb1db9bb358a9ba983a905de.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
In all honesty, as much of a Ford person that I am, I am greatly dissapointed and embarrassed by the Transit. Not by the looks, as I think it is an excellent looking vehicle. But by the many different mechanical problems they are having. After so many years of Ford yanking everyone's chain in when it was going to be finally manufactured, I would think problems would be far less. I just hope the new models are greatly improved mechanically and in size as well.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In all honesty, as much of a Ford person that I am, I am greatly dissapointed and embarrassed by the Transit. Not by the looks, as I think it is an excellent looking vehicle. But by the many different mechanical problems they are having. After so many years of Ford yanking everyone's chain in when it was going to be finally manufactured, I would think problems would be far less. I just hope the new models are greatly improved mechanically and in size as well.

Just hit 200K in my 2015 yesterday. Have had mild to medium quality issues but I always feel that a major one is right around the corner.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine who has a Transit asked me to post this picture of his Transits driveshaft doohickey. You may want to check yours if you have a Transit.
Good advice Guido! Always check your doohickey, even if you don't have a Transit.:)
The doohickey is called a giubo. Apparently it is all the rage in Europe where Ford first introduce the new model Transit that is made here for the U.S. market. BMW uses a giubo on some of its models. It must be cheaper than a conventional U-joint. Certainly lighter in weight and lighter in durability. Some carryovers of European technology are good. Some not so good. The giubo on the Transit, not so good.

Reactions: ntimevan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't think that is somehow a replacement for a universal joint, more like a vibration dampener much like the crank pully on most cars has a layer of rubber in between the metal parts.

Honestly if this is the big thing that is wrong with the transits then you are getting off easy. Can it take more than 10 minutes to change that with an impact wrench?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Good advice Guido! Always check your doohickey, even if you don't have a Transit.:)
The doohickey is called a giubo. Apparently it is all the rage in Europe where Ford first introduce the new model Transit that is made here for the U.S. market. BMW uses a giubo on some of its models. It must be cheaper than a conventional U-joint. Certainly lighter in weight and lighter in durability. Some carryovers of European technology are good. Some not so good. The giubo on the Transit, not so good.
Is that the actual name for this thingy?..really??...lol..

On a different note, my friend is taking his Transit to the Ford dealer in my hometown. We were on the phone with them, and they are supposedly going to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter in the trans for around 250 bucks. They are a good, honest dealer who I've dealt with for years. They have like 25 Transits in stock. But we'll confirm this Monday after they are done. The service manual procedure for this is 13 pages long according to Ford. I have it. It's ridiculously stupid. No mention of having to do a front end alignment, either. Also, an alternator is 200 bucks new from Ford, 150 amp. There is a 220 amp, or something like that available as well. Even though it is a new alternator, that are charging a 75 dollar core as well. Apparently they will eventually start to offer reman alternators and are needing cores....hmmm....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Please update. I have been to 3 Ford dealers and they won't do the drain, fill and filter change??

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please update. I have been to 3 Ford dealers and they won't do the drain, fill and filter change??

Really? Had my transmission pan dropped and fluid and filter changed. Think it was like $150. I'll check my receipt and get back to you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that part looks more like a quality supplier problem with bad casting....or it is under too much torque, forcing it to crack and split...

guido4475

Not a Member
I am deeply offended that they would name a failing part after me. Or that I would be named after a failing part ....lol..

My friend with his 61,000 mile Transit showed up at my hometown Ford dealer, Classic Ford of Madison. (Madison, Ohio on rt.20). They put it on the rack and we're pretty much dumbfounded, as they didn't have a clue what to do with this thing, from what he told me. Needless to say, I am embarrassed and greatly dissapointed in them. It comes as a shock to me, as they are an old school kinda shop, who will do whatever it takes to fix something. Even weld on site things if need be. Even at their old dealership in Geneva, which didn't have high doors, they even changed a 7.3 engine out of a Ford cube outside in the cold with a cherry picker and jacks, etc. So for them to not know anything about this Transit transmission service comes as a major shock to me.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have the address, phone number, etc to these people? How long did it take them?

I get all my service work done by Ewald Ford in Cudahy, WI. It's where I bought my van and less then 2 miles from my home. My preferred service writer is "Curt". He understands what we do and gets me in immediately. Not sure how long this service took, I dropped off my van before going on vacation and it was done when I returned. So far they have addressed and solved every problem I've had successfully.
849f6163a86bf08a74e319c4e74bcc01.jpg

Reactions: brokcanadian

guido4475

Not a Member
I get all my service work done by Ewald Ford in Cudahy, WI. It's where I bought my van and less then 2 miles from my home. My preferred service writer is "Curt". He understands what we do and gets me in immediately. Not sure how long this service took, I dropped off my van before going on vacation and it was done when I returned. So far they have addressed and solved every problem I've had successfully.
849f6163a86bf08a74e319c4e74bcc01.jpg

Thanks a bunch! I'll be forwarding this info to my Transit owner friend.

Reactions: billg27

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks a bunch! I'll be forwarding this info to my Transit owner friend.

Their one of the few dealers that totally embraced the Transit. Lots of well equipped Transits in stock, plenty of colors in stock besides white. And plenty of tall hoists that can actually raise a tall Transit for servicing. And a minor bonus is they have a tire service using pure nitrogen. Helps with the temp and altitude changes that we see on a consistent basis.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got an appointment with the Ewald service staff tomorrow morning. I'm beginning to feel like a Sprinter owner seeking out the Divine Perfect Mechanic.

Hope you get Pete the mechanic. He's done excellent work on mine. And he's very easy to talk to, he listens and tells you exactly what he thinks about any issues. Very smart man!